Corporate word salad

The purpose of using "corporate word salad" can vary, but most of the time it serves one of the following purposes:
  1. Impress or Intimidate: To impress the audience with what appears to be specialized knowledge or sophistication, or to intimidate them into not questioning further.
  2. Obscure Meaning: To deliberately obscure the true meaning of a message, possibly to hide negative information, or uncertainty.
  3. Conformity: To conform to corporate culture or industry standards where such language is the norm, even if it's not effective.
  4. Filler Content: To fill space in communication where there might not be substantive content to offer (bolster content).
  5. Avoid Commitment: To avoid making clear, concrete statements that could lead to accountability or commitments.
Here is an example of corporate word salad that can be used in a board meeting, investor call, etc.:

As we move forward, we're leveraging innovative synergies to enhance our core competencies and maximize shareholder value. Our strategic roadmap is focused on holistic, scalable solutions that drive digital transformation and create robust, cutting-edge ecosystems. We're committed to fostering dynamic cross-functional teams to capitalize on market-driven, disruptive technologies, ensuring we remain agile in a rapidly evolving global landscape. Our mission is to optimize operational excellence and sustain unparalleled customer engagement through proactive, value-added strategies.

Ironically, it sounds a lot like Soviet Communist propaganda language during the Soviet Union. Both share a significant commonality in their use of language to manipulate, obfuscate, and serve specific agendas. It makes me nauseous just thinking that we've gone full circle from getting rid of them, to having our own corporations talk and act in a similar manner, namely lying, deceiving, and robing us blind.
And the longer the statement, the less likely it is to mean anything. At all. But you can bet the person who gave that speech got a nice Christmas bonus, just after the annual layoffs to make that bonus possible.

"Mad Libs" was a game where words were omitted from a complete paragraph. They were published in paperback form as many puzzle books still are.
The leader would say, "Give me a noun" and he'd write it down. Then, "Give me a verb" and he'd write it down; etc.
When 20 or so random words were listed, the leader would read the paragraph with the odd words plugged in. It was great fun.
Sonny Fox (RIP) would do this on the original, "Wonderama", a locally produced children's show in NYC.

It was corporatespeak then.

Interesting the timing of this thread.. I just received a letter from a local transmission rebuilder which made me think the exact same thing!

"Dear Customer,

At (Transmission Rebuilder), our commitment to excellence drives us to continuously enhance our offerings to cater to the diverse requirements of our esteemed clientele. In response to invaluable feedback and strategic recognition of the need for flexible choices, we are pleased to to announce the reintegration of the 90 day Warranty alongside our existing 1-year and 3-year options. This addition is thoughtfully curated with budget-conscious drivers in mind, ensuring access to outstanding quality and reliability synonymous with (Transmission Rebuilder) at a more accessible price point."
Typically, technical expertise is inversely proportional to the amount of text needed to describe something. I would bet whoever wrote that couldn't tell you the difference between a torque converter and a clutch plate.

It's probably AI barf, but the use of "thoughtfully curated" is just...no. No. The use of that phrase is entirely improper in that context. Gross.

"Mad Libs" was a game where words were omitted from a complete paragraph. They were published in paperback form as many puzzle books still are.
The leader would say, "Give me a noun" and he'd write it down. Then, "Give me a verb" and he'd write it down; etc.
When 20 or so random words were listed, the leader would read the paragraph with the odd words plugged in. It was great fun.
Sonny Fox (RIP) would do this on the original, "Wonderama", a locally produced children's show in NYC.

It was corporatespeak then.
You might get something resembling:

“at every moment in time, and certainly this one, to see the moment in time in which we exist and are present, and to be able to contextualize it, to understand where we exist in the history and in the moment as it relates not only to the past, but the future"

Typically, technical expertise is inversely proportional to the amount of text needed to describe something. I would bet whoever wrote that couldn't tell you the difference between a torque converter and a clutch plate.

It's probably AI barf, but the use of "thoughtfully curated" is just...no. No. The use of that phrase is entirely improper in that context. Gross.
That's funny because, yeah, the "curated" part made me think something was really amiss. It's not a high dollar resort composing a fancy vacation menu for you -- it's a transmission rebuild!!

“at every moment in time, and certainly this one, to see the moment in time in which we exist and are present, and to be able to contextualize it, to understand where we exist in the history and in the moment as it relates not only to the past, but the future"
I couldn'ta said it better myself.

People believe their Tv news.
And they're often stupid and feel the need to sound like the TV news.
Again, we've been trained to regard questions as a weakness.
Always just say things....the angrier, the more sweeping, the better.

Ever hear an old timer condense The Great Depression or World War II into one sentence? It's infuriating.

Instead of just “thanks for contacting customer service. We’ll get back to you within 24 hours” it’s “hi friend, your request is being reviewed by our member success team.”

Like who makes up this word vomit? I’ve noticed this trend the past few years. More and more companies are writing like this. What’s the point?
You have the younger generations thinking its okay to use slang in email. "hi friend"??? Some businesses want to seem hip most of the population, I presume, most of us just want old fashioned formalities and common terminology like customer service not customer success. It just sounds corny.

You have the younger generations thinking its okay to use slang in email. "hi friend"??? Some businesses want to seem hip most of the population, I presume, most of us just want old fashioned formalities and common terminology like customer service not customer success. It just sounds corny.

I could make a point of the older generations putting the body of the email in the subject line, or in all caps. Some of the younger generations who have just joined the career force may not have ever been exposed to the required professionalism and could be taught the proper way.

In either cases, any emails that I get that contain "could you kindly" or "friend" is usually created from some center over seas. I don't blame them though, the message they're conveying gets through.

I could make a point of the older generations putting the body of the email in the subject line,
We used to get this from customers and NO most were young........

EDIT TO ADD: It would happen mostly when people were sending email by phone and just typed away like a text in the subject line....

Last edited:
We used to get this from customers and NO most were young........

Did you deal with the general public? The lady friend worked at a dental office and she'd get those type of emails/texts from everyone. We don't deal with the public so I've never been exposed to emails like that - all our clients/vendors always start off professional but depending on the work relationship, we may converse with relaxed words. I assume it's also in a case-by-case basis. Some things like (for example) if I got an email from a want-to-be vendor containing 'ain't' versus 'isn't' then it's going straight into the trash.

But if I was say, working at AMS Performance, I would totally expect those types of emails left and right.

All bafflegab and it comes from the popinjays that believe they run things. Phonies, they speak in the subjunctive form just to seem serious and authoritative. We see them everywhere on the national news every night.
Not exactly sure that the subjunctive mood does that.

You might get something resembling:

"...unburdened by the past"

Did you deal with the general public? The lady friend worked at a dental office and she'd get those type of emails/texts from everyone. We don't deal with the public so I've never been exposed to emails like that - all our clients/vendors always start off professional but depending on the work relationship, we may converse with relaxed words. I assume it's also in a case-by-case basis. Some things like (for example) if I got an email from a want-to-be vendor containing 'ain't' versus 'isn't' then it's going straight into the trash.

But if I was say, working at AMS Performance, I would totally expect those types of emails left and right.
Yes. That business had nothing to do with Amsoil. Motorized bike accessories - https://www.ebay.com/usr/brook45izy - customers ranged from the very young, the stoned, the drunk, the old the infirmed, the retired, the lost DL, mostly male, lots of very knowledgeable DIY gear heads to complete hacks. Some could only pay Paypal. Some only could buy if we used Facebook. Some lived by phone only. Sales were 65% CC, 30% PP, remainder check, cash, money transfer of some sort.

Actually never received one (message in subject) in Amsoil correspondence.

Yes. That business had nothing to do with Amsoil. Motorized bike accessories - https://www.ebay.com/usr/brook45izy - customers ranged from the very young, the stoned, the drunk, the old the infirmed, the retired, the lost DL, mostly male, lots of very knowledgeable DIY gear heads to complete hacks. Some could only pay Paypal. Some only could buy if we used Facebook. Some lived by phone only. Sales were 65% CC, 30% PP, remainder check, cash, money transfer of some sort.

Actually never received one (message in subject) in Amsoil correspondence.

No thanks, I'd probably go crazy if I was in your shoes reading those emails. The worst emails I get are "call me".

The synergistic flow of your synthetic lubricant and synergy with your robust metal alloys within the core of your engine will reward you with unprecedented joy where you can extract future funds from the time you will save from the lubricant life where accountability will flow downstream through profits where the exuberant costs of cheap Chinese goods will be stopped dead on arrival to ensure the future of man maintains a robust balance in a controlled fashion through progressive team building skills.

Remember how badly written user manuals made us laugh in the '80's?
That was 'budget translations' we were reading.

Today it's the Sesame Street generation at the corporate keyboard.

Empty TV shows, worthless dialogue, stultifying verbiage in videos.......you're surprised?
Most of today's corp speech is not to make you happy, but to make sure you have no way to sue them if you are angry.

Similar to the message given on a New York City subway car that is not moving: "We are sorry for the delay, but will be moving just as soon as congestion ahead is gone"

Well that always made me feel better as it would be kind of silly of them to not start up just as soon as the congestion ahead is gone

Back