Corona Virus and Car Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
My employer just sent out a company wide email ten minutes ago about this virus and some of the required "back to work" process & procedures if returning from travel. I guess the virus is more serious than I thought.

Liability covered, lol.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
My employer just sent out a company wide email ten minutes ago about this virus and some of the required "back to work" process & procedures if returning from travel. I guess the virus is more serious than I thought.

In tech heavy Silicon Valley, China is a key customer and supplier.
I know of several major companies that halted China travel.
"Do it in a virtual meeting; don't want anyone dying."

Our company policy now, is anyone that was in China needs to self-quarantine, or stay away from the workplace, for two weeks after coming back from China. This is the policy of many companies around here.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
The first case of unknown origin in the US showed up in Sacramento. Big concerns.
Even if the virus doesn't breakout, preventative measures are having a major impact. All the new manufacturing processes with just in time parts inventory are going to be impacted in a major way. Attitudes are also changing. People are realizing the market can go another way other than up.

The experts claim that this specific virus can remain active on smooth surfaces for as long as 14 days!

I'm surprised that public heath officials aren't instructing people who might be touching "new" products made in china let the item sit for at least 14 days (with shipping time included the bug should be dead by the time a consumer or end user receives it. This is VERY important to remember an infected person touches the item they are manufacturing or placing in shipping containers and the end user touches the items boxes before 14 days have gone back you COULD BE INFECTED!

It is also believed that UV light (sunlight) quickly kills this bug as well.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
The first case of unknown origin in the US showed up in Sacramento. Big concerns.
Even if the virus doesn't breakout, preventative measures are having a major impact. All the new manufacturing processes with just in time parts inventory are going to be impacted in a major way. Attitudes are also changing. People are realizing the market can go another way other than up.

The experts claim that this specific virus can remain active on smooth surfaces for as long as 14 days!

I'm surprised that public heath officials aren't instructing people who might be touching "new" products made in china let the item sit for at least 14 days (with shipping time included the bug should be dead by the time a consumer or end user receives it. This is VERY important to remember an infected person touches the item they are manufacturing or placing in shipping containers and the end user touches the items boxes before 14 days have gone back you COULD BE INFECTED!

I cannot believe that this virus can live 14 days without a host.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Originally Posted by AC1DD

I cannot believe that this virus can live 14 days without a host.

virus does not live...

Let me be plain: Conspiracy theories have no place on BITOG. If you cannot cite a legitimate authority then do not post. You are free to believe whatever you chose, however you will not use BITOG to spread fear mongering or conspiracy dreck.

I'm done removing these things the next one I remove will result in time away.

Please keep on topic.

Reopening topic after having removed several posts.

I am keeping a eye out for deals and so far, prices don't "seem" to have moved down at all. In fact, leftover Corvettes are priced higher than they were last year, when they were current production. Last year, a base model w/manual transmission could be found as low as $43K. Now the lowest I see locally is about $47K.

Same thing with lower end cars. Prices seem not to have moved at all. Although sales numbers are dropping. New car registrations are down 7.3% for Jan 2020 and Feb looks to be considerably lower.

I hold out hope for a "deal".

It's probably the water in Corona … so I have switched to Bud Light ðŸ§

This coronavirus stuff is more hype than anything...stock market falling, people blaming the president for it, it's all nothing but hype...the plain ol' flu killed way more people, but you don't see everyone going bonkers over that...

Being I travel so much I'm pretty well doing what I have always done, wash hands and use germ-x … sneeze into elbow, don't get too close to anyone … don't touch mouth and eyes … knuckle elevator buttons … shower every day …
This was the first year I got a flu shot … BiL just went through a bad round of it …

As half real and half fun, we have been calling fist bumps "Bluetooth handshakes"

Off to watch a Howard Hughes documentary now ðŸ§

Originally Posted by grampi
This coronavirus stuff is more hype than anything...stock market falling, people blaming the president for it, it's all nothing but hype...the plain ol' flu killed way more people, but you don't see everyone going bonkers over that...

Death rate is 0.1% for flu and approaching 3% for Coronavirus. Both highly contagious just flu obviously got way more people get it currently.

Concern is death rate.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Death rate is 0.1% for flu and approaching 3% for Coronavirus. Both highly contagious just flu obviously got way more people get it currently.

Concern is death rate.

Its hard to take that death rate and relate it to the US. There is a difference in healthcare and demographics. 1 death in the US, and we really don't know the real numbers of who is infected here. I would not compare the death rate of a dense populated lower healthcare country like china to here.

The overall smoking rate is probably 8% higher there( 17% USA vs 24% China) than the US ( 19% male smoking rate USA vs 47% male smokers in China) so more lung disease, heart disease, and hypertension. That would not go well with coronavirus, especially in the elderly.

We will have to wait and see what happens here. But i'm going to doubt a 2-3% rate here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

Concern is death rate.

Its hard to take that death rate and relate it to the US. There is a difference in healthcare and demographics. 1 death in the US, and we really don't know the real numbers of who is infected here. I would not compare the death rate of a dense populated lower healthcare country like china to here.

The overall smoking rate is probably 8% higher there( 17% USA vs 24% China) than the US ( 19% male smoking rate USA vs 47% male smokers in China) so more lung disease, heart disease, and hypertension. That would not go well with coronavirus, especially in the elderly.

We will have to wait and see what happens here. But i'm going to doubt a 2-3% rate here.

First of all, we have no clue what is COVID-19 infection rate in the US as testing kits are not available, which tells a lot about HC system in the US or failure of communication right now. In Italy things are pretty dramatic, and their HC system is ranked second, the US 37th by WHO. So, that argument is ridiculous at best. We might have actually more deaths from COVID-19, but if we do not test, then how we know? They just said that 15,00 test kits are going to be available, and we have 6,500 hospitals in this country. So, what is happening now in the markets is insecurity about what is exactly going on bcs. China is trying to control flow of information, and in the US there is clearly failure to get ahead of this.
IMO we will see slow down because of one of these two things:
1. Pandemic
OR
2. Lack of confidence in government response.
Either way, we are up for some chopy times. Things in Europe and Japan looked bad economically even before COVID-19.

Shove your WHO, a bunch of back-rubbing bureaucrats and parasites. To be functional in Italy you have to be friends with a local priest, local Mafia feller and a local Communist watcher aka community organiser. We are comparing incomparables here.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/testing.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...ronavirus-testing-kit-glitch/ar-BB10yyGz

there will thousands of cases announced soon, and there is no reason to panic - we are dealing with 6-week time to market development, akin to observing distant galaxies, stars and black hole explosions.

and these things are not linear, it's always exponential chart. So is panic, a perturberance method in math comes to mind

Only one case in Nigeria due to the advanced medical system and well organized government

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by spasm3

Concern is death rate.

First of all, we have no clue what is COVID-19 infection rate in the US as testing kits are not available, which tells a lot about HC system in the US or failure of communication right now. In Italy things are pretty dramatic, and their HC system is ranked second, the US 37th by WHO. So, that argument is ridiculous at best. We might have actually more deaths from COVID-19, but if we do not test, then how we know? They just said that 15,00 test kits are going to be available, and we have 6,500 hospitals in this country. So, what is happening now in the markets is insecurity about what is exactly going on bcs. China is trying to control flow of information, and in the US there is clearly failure to get ahead of this.
IMO we will see slow down because of one of these two things:
1. Pandemic
OR
2. Lack of confidence in government response.
Either way, we are up for some chopy times. Things in Europe and Japan looked bad economically even before COVID-19.

What a bunch of malarkey. Test kits are available and being used. It's not dire like you make it out to be.

One big concern remains air traffic ... USA is highest, China, UK and so on.

On 18-February I flew from Tokyo ,.. only thing new was forms stating that I had not been to China, health questions, and taking temperature in the security line.

Originally Posted by loneryder
I would wear rubber or vinyl gloves in public before I would wear masks.

You're correct, but the best route is to use all those things and sealed eye wear goggles too.

My question is why haven't all international flights been banned from entering the US? I remember when I first heard about this virus about two months ago my first reaction was
stop all international travel immediate and close the borders as well. I was right.

You can always mitigate financial hardship for business and the economy, but once you have tens of millions of people sick and dying your "global economy" is history, unfortunately
the economy as we know it today won't ever be seen in our lifetimes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back