Corolla towing - gear selection

I'm thinking of towing a 800lb empty utility trailer(6x8) 400 miles from N California to S California going over the Grapevine. Passengers + cargo should be just under 400lb. The book says towing capacity is 1500lb.
The car in question is the 2004 Corolla in my sig; it has a slushbox and an extra inline ATF filter and cooler. The book says towing capacity is 1500lb. It's relatively well maintained. Has climbed plenty of hills/mountains and has never overheated. When climbing up Tejon Pass I like disabling OD even without a trailer (bitoger...), I hope I don't have to use 2nd :). I would like to get to the climbing section at night - for cooler ambient temps.
The question I have is: do I disable OD even on flat sections of the road? Basically have OD disabled the whole trip? FYI, the speed limit when towing in California is 55mph. For those not familiar with this model, it locks the torque converter in 3rd too, unless the load is too great.

Yes, I would lock it out. 400# plus trailer & tongue weight you will probably be close to gcvw.
Also, read your manual.

If it wants to select 2nd on its own, then let it. I'd only pick 2nd if I "knew" it would want to downshift halfway up an upgrade, or if I wanted extra engine braking going down. Theoretically it is supposed to know what gear it needs to be in...

On the flats I think you'll be fine in OD. Lock it out if it wants to hunt or run with the TC unlocked. IMO the warnings about not towing in OD go back to when OEM's did not monitor fluid temperature and "loved" to run with the TC unlocked in top gear, and unintentionally broiling the transmission as a result.

I used to tow some very long, heavy trailers for hauling long boats. I generally found that if done in a controlled manner, while cruising on flat land, OT use was fine. But this was using a tow vehicle really set up for it.

For an underpowered car without a lot of tow capacity or weight rating, key is to go slow. Id avoid going into OD unless its known that there's a long, flat road, where theres good rationale that the transmission wont shift again/drop out of OD for many minutes and miles. The key is to avoid having the AT shift and hunt continuously.

I wouldn't even bother with OD; more than likely it won't have the power to pull OD - and even if it does, it would use more gas trying to maintain speed using OD than not (engine is out of the power band)

4-speed automatic, I'd consider using the extra gear, as winding it out in 3rd might be a fairly high rpm that is harder on the motor then necessary. I had a 99 Prizm (same as Corolla) with the 3-speed automatic, great in-town car, but out on the highway I'd prefer the extra 4th gear for the Corolla set-up, having had a 2005 Matrix to base my opinion on, but I never towed with either car. Or plan on adjusting you speed down some, say 45 to 50. And do a good inspection of the trailer's wheels, hub and axle. Good luck, don't wreck your good car over it, could I suggest, rent something instead.

Back