0W30 0r 0W40 Euro Edge for a Mountain tow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, it's been a while since I've been active on this form. I'll get right to it then. I'm planing a 1,000 mile one way or so vacation to the Colorado Rockies and Custer/Badlands South Dakota area this summer. I've been religiously using GC 0W30 for 6 years now. While towing a 3,000lb single axle travel trailer through Yellowstone in 2013 I experienced a higher than expected coolant temp of 220* or so traversing the north entrance of Yellowstone. I'm expecting the same climbs in Colorado this year in late June with a heaver 5,000lb travel trailer pulled by my 2000 Silverado EC Z71 with the 5.3L and HD tow setup. I'm thinking of using the 0W40 Euro Edge in my sump for this springs annual oil change. I will also be installing a larger 34" radiator with the integrated engine oil cooler prior to the pull. So question is which weight oil would be best for my one year oil change interval? Transmission has a larger stacked plate cooler running Royal Purple Max ATF. All other oils are Mobil 1 of RP synthetic.

Last edited:
If you're that worried about the load on your truck use the 0w-40 and don't worry.

I'd also take a close look at the tranny and diff, too.

If you're going to install the oil cooler along with the radiator, I don't think your oil temps will get that high. I wouldn't worry about oil temps, so I would stick with the 0W30. That said, the 0W40 won't do any harm.

I think the real issue is going to be trans temp. That year Silverado came with a tranny temp gauge, didn't it? That should help you keep an eye on things. Given your large stacked plate cooler, and good fluid, you should be all set...

Last edited:
You'll be keeping the revs up so your oil pressure would be fine with either.

As far as I remember GC 0w30 has quite a robust HTHS so a 0w40 might not really help since the min for a 0w40 is 2.9 and GC is 3.5.

Brother, you need to spend less time typing and more time learnin'.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
since the min for a 0w40 is 2.9 and GC is 3.5.

If you need to talk to someone about your rig and pulling requirement,,,call here or they will get you someone that can tell you what you need....
transport RV's.

Hoosier RV Transport
1108 South Division
Bristol, In, 46507
Fax (574) 848-1818
Toll Free 1-800-848-1510
in Indiana 574-848-7000.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

+1

0W40 will have at least 3.5 to meet Euro spec.

Castrol doesn't list it properly in their spec sheets.

If you have info that I dont please share.

The info is pretty rudimentary: Both of these oils meet ACEA A3/B4 spec, which means they have to have HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP.

As far as I remember GC 0w30 has quite a robust HTHS so a 0w40 might not really help since the min for a 0w40 is 2.9 and GC is 3.5.

Any Euro 0w-40 is going to be a lot higher than 2.9, as it will meet all the same Euro specs as GC does, which call for an HTHS >=3.5cP. Which is why that's GC's HTHS.

Doing a quick search euro spec 0w40 edge has a HTHS of 3.6 vs 3.5 GC, the spec min is 2.9 after searching the conclusion is really your not getting much improvement which is .1.
So whats the Hub Up Bub?

Doing a quick search euro spec 0w40 edge has a HTHS of 3.6 vs 3.5 GC, the spec min is 2.9 after searching the conclusion is really your not getting much improvement which is .1.
So whats the Hub Up Bub?

That would be because they are basically the same oil.

M1 0w-40 has an HTHS of 3.8cP, a bit higher.

Really? You're going to argue that you're right and back it up with that ridiculous link [I didn't read]? Haha... Hahahahahahahahaha!!!
crackmeup2.gif

HERE'S A REAL LINK Page 8. You're welcome.

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm
Reading that page might help you tremendously.
Cheers.

BP's PDS are all but useless.

So whats the Hub Up Bub?

You guys are both "right".

The old SAE table allowed for a 0w-40 to have an HTHS of 2.9, the new one, as in the Afton link, does not.

Instead of a link, here's the picture:
SAE_J300_Viscosity_Grades.gif

Which supports what Koz1 thought was the case.

Here is the version that was current as of 2007:
saej.png

The point however, is moot. Any 0w-40 blended for a Euro app will have an HTHS >=3.5cP as that's the minimum for most of the Euro specs.

Really? You're going to argue that you're right and back it up with that ridiculous link [I didn't read]? Haha... Hahahahahahahahaha!!!
crackmeup2.gif

HERE'S A REAL LINK Page 8. You're welcome.

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm
Reading that page might help you tremendously.
Cheers.

Im starting to think you are emotionally unstable but anyway.
The J300 spec changed sometime at or around 2009 alot of Jaso references are still at the 1999 spec.
The 3.6 came off a BITOG post and if its correct then there is almost no improvement moving to an Edge 0w40.

I'll say it again, a little more time reading and a lot less typing would help you out.

Yes sorry boys and girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back