So what would be better to tow with, a Manual or Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tow a motorcycle with my nissan sentra ser specv 6 speed all the time, no problem. If you have a light motorcycle trailer and a sportbike that is 400lbs you should be OK with a manual tranny. Driving smoothly is the key. Any car can tow this trailer as it weighs 140lbs www.trailerinabag.com I have one and its awsome.

"that's because Dodge autos blow..."

As do the Ford, but the current Dodge and Ford seem better. The advice for older GM diesels was 'don't use them in hilly areas' as the power output was so low, so tranny reliability wasn't much of an issue.

"you can't even *get* the 605tq Duramax w/ a stick ).. the stick truck gets gets the lower output 520tq."

Since they defuel with the Allison the auto is still probably putting out less torque in 1st and 5th, unless the GM manual tranny is weak.

"funny thing is though.. the highest rated gm truck is still a gasser.. a 2wd 2500hd shortbed w/ the 8100 and allision"

For payload the Dodge is the same as the gas engines weigh less, but for towing the diesels do better as I recall.

quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:
I am going to be selling my 2003 Tacoma 4x4 (only gets 18-19mpg) and I am going get a 2005 Corolla S or LE. I was wondering what would be better to tow with a manual transmission or Automatic? The Corolla has a 1500lb tow capacity and I will be towing a trailer with one sportbike. I have only owned manual transmissions and I was considering an auto this time but I dont want to cause any undue wear on the little corolla. (i have always thought it to be cheaper to replace a clutch than a transmission) I will be towing the bike for about 2K miles a year tops. What is everyones thoughts on this?

OT, but I'm seriously considering doing the same thing. I have a 2004 Tacoma double cab 4wd. Thinking about getting a new Corolla S myself. Only concern is I need a truck for HD runs and pulling my boat, but we'll see.

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:

Since they defuel with the Allison the auto is still probably putting out less torque in 1st and 5th, unless the GM manual tranny is weak.

GM uses the same manuals (NV4500 & NV5600) as Dodge does... New Venture Gear is a GM/DC joint venture. I think it has more to do with the ultra expensive dual mass flywheels and clutches than the trans itself.

I would HIGLY, and I repeat, HIGHLY suggest you ONLY get a 5 speed manual with a Corolla. I've got an 02 with an auto and a 94 with a 5 speed. The 02 is a friggggin DOG with the auto; the 94 would kick the 02s buttt in a drag race (if your into drag racing Corollas
grin.gif
)

Another vote for the manual (especially if you're only towing a light load 2000 miles per year). Personally, I would get a Camry (or a Scion tC or Vibe/Matrix) with a 5 spd. Just don't get an automatic: You'll fall asleep from boredom and be aggravated by the lack of performance (and extra cost).

I would get an aluminum m/c trailer to lighten up the load as much as possible. Have you considered getting a Cobalt instead? More powerful engine and GM makes one of the most durable FWD drivetrains on the market. You should be able to get the Cobalt cheaper with all the incentives.

Whatever tranny you get (I vote stick) keep the speed around 55-60mph tops when towing that trailer. The wind drag above that will load your car, drink the gas, and shorten its life more than lubricant choice, etc.

"Originally posted by 1sttruck: "Since they defuel with the Allison the auto is still probably putting out less torque in 1st and 5th, unless the GM manual tranny is weak."

GM uses the same manuals (NV4500 & NV5600) as Dodge does... New Venture Gear is a GM/DC joint venture. I think it has more to do with the ultra expensive dual mass flywheels and clutches than the trans itself."

Also, in a sitaution that I recall where the gentleman with the diesel and stick had to move a load that another with a diesel and auto couldn't move, the auto engine was the newer Ford 6.0, which I think has something like an advertised 600 lbs ft of torque, while the manual engine was an older Cummins rated at 505 lbs ft.

quote:

Also, in a sitaution that I recall where the gentleman with the diesel and stick had to move a load that another with a diesel and auto couldn't move, the auto engine was the newer Ford 6.0, which I think has something like an advertised 600 lbs ft of torque, while the manual engine was an older Cummins rated at 505 lbs ft.

I imagine that the creeper gear (which is somewhere in the 5.xx:1 range ..and 6.xx:1 in some older versions) probably trumps the converter torque multiplier (effectively, stall speed) in ft/lbs to the ground (or lb/ft if you grew up when some clown in a high profile position decided to swap the order around and everyone else followed suit - sorta like Kar(a)oke(e) ..evolving to kareeokee ..it just happened :^) ).

Nice discussion on GM's 'TorqueManagement' with the Allison. For me it explains why a truck with a higher output and a fancy auto may not always be able to do the same things that a truck with a lower output and simpler tranny can.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/printthread.php?t=123667&pp=100

I don't really understand why GM doesn't beef up the tranny parts that fail instead of adding more TM everytime they add more power. :think: Off the line, my '04 feels about like an '85 Tempo I had in high school.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:

I don't really understand why GM doesn't beef up the tranny parts that fail instead of adding more TM everytime they add more power. :think: Off the line, my '04 feels about like an '85 Tempo I had in high school.
grin.gif

if I can get my BFG At's to hook up, my 88 350 takes off like a **** rocket.. but she's not as stock as she once was... it's amazing the difference that 4deg of timing and unchoking the air intake can make.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
The biggest reason you always hear the recommendation to tow with an automatic is that you'll burn through clutches much faster when towing with a stick. That holds true for any "light duty" vehicle, be it a FWD sedan or a RWD pickup.

Semis are a different animal, though. You don't ride the clutch when driving a semi. From a stop, you press the clutch, put it in gear (usually second, first for very heavy loads) then pull your foot completely off the clutch pedal. The gearing is so low and the engine has so much torque that the truck will just start rolling slowly. You then apply gas to accelerate. Obviously you'd stall a normal car or truck trying to do that.

Matts comments hit the nail on the head exactly. You have the potential to burn through clutches pretty quickly towing with a light duty vehicle-especially if you do much city driving.

One of the hardest things I did was go from several years of driving a tractor trailer to driving a car with a manual transmission. Taking off I still tend not to give it enough throttle
mad.gif

I think you'll be a lot happier with the auto than the stick. As was said earlier, change the fluid frequently and add a transmission cooler and it will be fine.

ugghh, so many votes for both and good reasons too. I am as confused as ever- LOL. Speaking of my truck anyone interested in a 03 Tacoma 4x4 TRD pack Ext-cab? Impeccably maintained! $18K with 31K miles (blue book is 19+ private and 21K dealer retail)

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
Semis are a different animal, though. You don't ride the clutch when driving a semi. From a stop, you press the clutch, put it in gear (usually second, first for very heavy loads) then pull your foot completely off the clutch pedal. The gearing is so low and the engine has so much torque that the truck will just start rolling slowly.

I asked my brother (who works for a trucking company and drives them in the yard) about this, he informed me that a semi probably won't stall but will lurch like crazy if you don't ease off the clutch from a dead stop.

I can get both of my cars moving in 1st without giving them any gas. I do it all the time in stop and go traffic.

drew is right on the earlier corollas did run well with the 5spd.. the diff's seem to be the culprit on those corolla's. dont ask me how i know. haha.

calculate out what you need and how much you'll drive and tow and go from there. i've heard horror stories with people towing with small cars. i'd keep the truck but i'm biased ;-) ...

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
I would HIGLY, and I repeat, HIGHLY suggest you ONLY get a 5 speed manual with a Corolla. I've got an 02 with an auto and a 94 with a 5 speed. The 02 is a friggggin DOG with the auto; the 94 would kick the 02s buttt in a drag race (if your into drag racing Corollas
grin.gif
)

It is not what you race that is important, it is that you race .
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back