Cooper Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I put a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires, sized 215/55R17, on my Fusion back on April 9, 2016. The car had 212,995 miles on it at the time.

I drive 55 miles to work each day, and 55 miles back, making for a 110 mile round trip drive in Phoenix weather, which daytime temps anywhere from about 35 degrees in the winter, to over 120 degrees in the heart of the summer. Speeds typically get up to about 75 mph during my commute.

As of this morning, the car has 245,448 miles on it, which means the tires have 32,453 miles on them. They show no signs of cracking, chunking, etc.. and they all look basically like this:

Pretty good, I'd say. Tread depth is around 7/32" on all tires.

Wow thats great. Im at 7/32 after only 1 full season but still very happy with them

I ran the Cooper Zeon RS3-A on my MS3 as a winter tire and year-round on my X3. I also installed the Trendsetter SE on my 2002. No complaints whatsoever.

I have Cooper H/Ts on my 92 Dakota. That set I did not buy as they came on that truck when I bought it, still blue on the whitewalls and still had the [censored] from the molds so they were essentially brand new when I bought the truck. If I had 1 set to complain about it would be this set but I'm not gonna because they were essentially "free" with the truck. They still have better than decent tread with 37K miles on them since I have owned the truck. but in anything other than dry pavement traction isn't that great. and wet grass? forget about it.
but I have had 2 sets now of the Discover AT3s one on my Durango and one on my 96 Dakota. Great tires. My son bought a set for his 3/4 ton 4wd that he works like a 3/4 ton 4wd is meant to be worked, and he loves them. He had his girlfriend put AT3s on her Trailblazer, I haven't heard a single complaint. and being the mechanic of the family I'd be the 1st to hear about it if there was a problem.

Over the years when I have needed tires and I had the money I have always been a Michelin guy. I know that they also own Uniroyal and BFG. and bang for the buck wise, these Coopers are definitely giving the Michelins a run for the money except for 1 set that they do not make any more and I wish they'd bring back just as they were
Now on the Wrangler, I have BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's and I really like those. though my son has them on his other 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel that actually gets babied and they are clearly not going to make it to anywhere near the suggested lifespan of 55K, the Coopers on his workhorse were definitely a better buy.

I posted a couple times about how much I love my Cooper CS5 Ultras. Im on my second set on my 2002 Vic. The traction wet and dry is great. Even when they break traction, they hook back up very quickly. I can break them loose with a full power 1-2 sledgehammer shift, and they will hook back up while Im still holding the pedal to the floor. On wet pavement.
The only draw back was I was at 4/32 with 25k, so I probably couldve gotten another 5k out of them before they became illegal, but I am obviously hard on them.
Im looking to upgrade my 2003 Vic with the late 17" steel wheels come spring time (I have snow tires on its factory 16" steel wheels right now) and I will try out the Zeon RS3-G1 in 235/55R17

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I will try out the Zeon RS3-G1 in 235/55R17

Those are their "budget" uhp chinese made tires. I have heard about many having issues with balancing.

Might want to check into other options such as the conti DWS06

Unless the price is simply AMAZING on the coopers might not be worth it..

Also I 100% wouldnt mail/online order the cooper rs3-g1 and take them somewhere else to mount balance...

Prefer road force balance just to weed out the bad ones immediately.

I know someone who needed 7 to get a set of 4.

Cooper AT/3 tested best-of breed for AT tires about a year ago in a combined on-road / light off-road course.

I had cooper RTX which is an NTB-only line. They were the best handling light truck AT I'd had to date, but they did start cupping a little even with regular rotations. The RTX was not expensive, so I had no complaints. If I were to do it again, I'd go with AT3s.

I'm also a bridgestone Revo2 fan, and am on my second set. They don't handle as well as the coopers, and some complain that their treadlife is lower, but they are a soft rubber and for me have been beneficial in the rain, with a slight edge over the coopers in rain grip. that may change as they age. I tend to always gravitate back to bridgestone. But outside of bridgestone, I'll absolutely give the nod to coopers. Very good tires.

-m

-m

When I bought my Buick it came with some Eldorado Legend Tour tires that turned out to be great tires, just a good all around tire. After doing some searching it appears they are made by Cooper and almost have the same tread pattern as the CS5 so when it came time for new tires it was an easy decision.

I really like the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and some other models..

but the chinese UHP cooper rs3-g1 have had issues

another option instead of the rs3-g1 is the cooper cs5 ultra they are available W-rated in many sizes.

or if dead set on the rs3-g1 buy local and have roadforce balanced.

so the responsibility of getting you good tires is not split between vendor and the labor provider.

Got "coopers all around" for years.

(4) CS5s on the echo
(4) CS5s on the prius
(2) Discoverer HT and (2) Cobra Radial GT on the B2300

Moved away 'once' to some sort of altimax and regretted it after about 25K

A bit disappointed with the tread life of the Discoverers but certainly a smooth highway rider.

Recently my job site moved to within .3 miles of a Cooper installer, so I foresee no changes moving forward..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

Those are their "budget" uhp chinese made tires. I have heard about many having issues with balancing.

Also I 100% wouldnt mail/online order the cooper rs3-g1 and take them somewhere else to mount balance...

Hmm. They do make the CS5 Ultra in that size, so I might just stick with what I know works. Ill have to look around some more before I come to a decision.

SRXs are supposed to be great tires for what you're looking for. Another tire to consider too is the Continental Trucontacts if they come in your size. Similar price, excellent traction and quiet.

RS3-A and RS3-G1 are made in China and there's nothing wrong with that. As you see in this topic, there are several good reviews about RS3-A. As long as it's made and QC'd by Cooper, it's fine. Both tires are not outsourced, made in Cooper's factory.

Though, I agree that I'd get these if I find a great deal. I bought 215/45/R17 RS3A for $110 canadian whereas DWS06 was $170. If the price difference was closer, I'd have bought the DWS.

-CS4 on '04 Hyundai Elantra base. About 4-5k miles. A tank in snow (only 500 miles on tires), nothing on ice, completely glued to the asphalt on dry and wet
-Zeon RS3-A on '13 Mazda5 Touring: good in snow first year, nothing on ice, sticky in dry and wet, including at cough cough legal speeds. developed bulges in 2 tires at 32k miles
-CS5 on '08 Toyota Yaris sedan. good in snow first year, nothing on ice, REALLY sticky in wet and dry. developed cracks at 3 years (about 21-25k miles); fronts at 7/32 and cracks at the side corner surface, backs at 8/32 and cracks in the blocks/threads

ALL of them had been noisy from day one.
they didn't let the back of the car loose ever.
good handling, sidewall not mushy or soft.
only squeal at the start of an intersection where you have that surface with dust,oil, coolant, tire peel remains....
not good performance in snow in year 2,3,4

Originally Posted By: pandus13
-CS4 on '04 Hyundai Elantra base. About 4-5k miles. A tank in snow (only 500 miles on tires), nothing on ice, completely glued to the asphalt on dry and wet
-Zeon RS3-A on '13 Mazda5 Touring: good in snow first year, nothing on ice, sticky in dry and wet, including at cough cough legal speeds. developed bulges in 2 tires at 32k miles
-CS5 on '08 Toyota Yaris sedan. good in snow first year, nothing on ice, REALLY sticky in wet and dry. developed cracks at 3 years (about 21-25k miles); fronts at 7/32 and cracks at the side corner surface, backs at 8/32 and cracks in the blocks/threads

only squeal at the start of an intersection where you have that surface with dust,oil, coolant, tire peel remains....

I wouldn't even mention snow performance of an "all season" tire.

AS tires aren't meant for snow or ice. It's called "all weather" tire like Nokian WRG3 that you can use year round.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
AS tires aren't meant for snow or ice. ...

Which is why I relayed my experience.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: pandus13

AS tires aren't meant for snow or ice. It's called "all weather" tire like Nokian WRG3 that you can use year round.

Don't tell that to people that have the legendary Continental DWS 06. They think it's a snow tire also, because the "S" in DWS means snow.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Don't tell that to people that have the legendary Continental DWS 06. They think it's a snow tire also, because the "S" in DWS means snow.

You can also use winter tires year round, but it's not optimal. Average winter tire outperforms best all season on snow and ice, regardless of which "letter" it has in its name. All weather tire, like Nokian WRG3, is another story though. Great option if you don't want to switch winter/summer tires twice a year.

Also, what's so legendary about DWS06? I know that it's one of the best, if not the best in it's class but I don't see what makes it a legend. Maybe it's on par with Michelin AS3+. Care to explain?

but the chinese UHP cooper rs3-g1 have had issues

another option instead of the rs3-g1 is the cooper cs5 ultra they are available W-rated in many sizes.

or if dead set on the rs3-g1 buy local and have roadforce balanced.

so the responsibility of getting you good tires is not split between vendor and the labor provider.

Curious about these "issues" - the ratings seem to be good on the RS3-G1 (but there are not many). The set I have is awesome and the wheels look to have not that much weight on them to get in balance. And since they were installed at Wal-Mart they were not road force balanced. So far at maybe 2-3k on them they are as good as or better than the Michelin Primacies they replaced. We'll see how they wear and age but so far so good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back