Cooper exclusive tires for Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.discounttire.com/cooperAtpHtp.html

I was in a Discount Tire store last week and saw two new Cooper light truck & SUV tires, the Discoverer ATP and Discoverer HTP. They are exclusive patterns for DT.

I though tire molds were very expensive--think how many DT committed to buy to get the exclusivity. These tires aren't yet listed on Discount's tires.com web site.

I put Discoverer HTP on our CX7, and we put about 6k miles on them before we sold the vehicle. Excellent tire. They were heavier than what we were previously running though, and a larger width, so fuel economy went down. They handled excellent in some pretty heavy rain, and ran fine at highway speeds. Would buy again.

I did not know they were Discount Tire exclusive.

Last edited:
They have been selling these tires for many months (they have been on America's web site for many months). I replaced some General HTS's on three of my work Explorers with Cooper HTP's. They have about 1,500, 5,000 and 8,500 miles on them. Smooth, quiet with a decent ride...although (and it may just be me) the tires feel heavy on the car (haven't looked up weight). Not as good as the original Michelin Cross Terrains, and I would rate them slightly below the Generals, but on my Explorers the Generals only went about 25,000-30,000 miles which is unacceptable. Overall I am very happy with the Coopers. If they get near the mileage they claim, I will buy again..as they are priced competitively.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
They have been selling these tires for many months (they have been on web site for many months). I replaced some General HTS's on three of my work Explorers with Cooper HTP's. They have about 1,500, 5,000 and 8,500 miles on them. Smooth, quiet with a decent ride...although (and it may just be me) the tires feel heavy on the car (haven't looked up weight). Not as good as the original Michelin Cross Terrains, and I would rate them slightly below the Generals, but on my Explorers the Generals only went about 25,000-30,000 miles which is unacceptable. Overall I am very happy with the Coopers. If they get near the mileage they claim, I will buy again..as they are priced competitively.

They are heavy. I checked and we went from 235/60R18 (Bridgestone) to 255/55R18 (coopers) and the coopers are 10 lbs. more per tire.

Honestly I don't really care for Cooper tires anyway, exclusive or not. Cooper makes most of the private label tires as it is, not sure why they would need to offer exclusive tires.

Besides, Kumho and Falken do cheap tires better anyway.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Honestly I don't really care for Cooper tires anyway, exclusive or not. Cooper makes most of the private label tires as it is, not sure why they would need to offer exclusive tires.

Besides, Kumho and Falken do cheap tires better anyway.

Maybe not Falken though....

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Maybe not Falken though....

Falken tires are awesome!

Handling..yes.
smile.gif
Tread life, not so much...

I've found that "exclusive" tires are rarely the best in their segment, and the tire shop will be pushing them very, very hard.
56.gif

For instance, everyone who walks into America's Tire and asks for a "premium tire" will almost always walk out with a set of YK580s...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I've found that "exclusive" tires are rarely the best in their segment, and the tire shop will be pushing them very, very hard.
56.gif

For instance, everyone who walks into America's Tire and asks for a "premium tire" will almost always walk out with a set of YK580s...

X a dozen.

Cooper is a boutique brand, almost always would rank lower in mileage and performance to many "normal" tire brands in any category.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
56.gif

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

X a dozen.

Cooper is a boutique brand, almost always would rank lower in mileage and performance to many "normal" tire brands in any category.

I run the Zeon RS3-A year-round on my son's X3 and as the winter tire for my MS3. In both cases the Coopers replaced P Zero Nero All Seasons. They have proven to be every bit as good as the Pirellis. That said, I'll give the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 serious consideration when the Coopers wear out- although that may take a while...

Quote:
Cooper makes most of the private label tires as it is
Kelly(Goodyear) is also huge in private labels, and Michelin/BFGoodrich/Uniroyal also make private label tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back