Cooper Discoverer ATP II

I don't want to sound like a shill, so I'll skip on the hype and details. Looking at the Cooper Discoverer ATP II that was released this year as an update for the exclusive Americas/Discount Tire stores. Never ran the previous ATP, but it seemed to have a great reputation and reviews. I did have some of the older (2012'ish) AT3 tires and they were pretty OK (great when new, but by 40k miles they were done). Hoping these approach their 60k rating. Also hoping the snow traction doesn't disappoint; they are not 3PMS but seem to have aggressive siping. I'm looking at upping to the 2018's LT275/65r18 123S over the factory P275/65r18 for a slight bump in durability and longevity, plus I really prefer the way my 2011 rides with LT's as opposed to P-metric. Just feels tighter. Not only are these cheaper than most of the competition but they are also made in the USA (as comfirmed by Cooper customer service).

Disc-ATP-II-SUV-RL.webp

Looks like they're going towards the Hankook Dynapro AT tire with that tread

Sheesh I'm done with Cooper for a good while. Extremely stiff ride, half the rated tread life and leaky beads (may have been shop error but all four?!).

15 years ago I would not have given them a chance but I thought they'd improved -relative- to most tires on the market now. I was wrong. :cry:

Sheesh I'm done with Cooper for a good while. Extremely stiff ride, half the rated tread life and leaky beads (may have been shop error but all four?!).

15 years ago I would not have given them a chance but I thought they'd improved -relative- to most tires on the market now. I was wrong. :cry:
I have a set of Coopers (CS5 Ultra) that have leaky beads as well. Not impressed, the shop has remounted all of them at least once, one of them is still leaking slightly. We inspected the wheels at the last dismount and they're in great condition all around the sealing surface.

Otherwise they are good performers, very comfortable and quiet with good handling for a grand touring tire; I've got about 20k on them with over half tread remaining.

Just a little update. Been running these since the fall on our half ton Ford and they are pretty solid for my purpose. The LT gives a solid ride with the OE suspension and only took about a 1.5mpg hit. Tread is quiet and smooth, no balance issues. Wet traction has been great. Snow traction has been well above acceptable, but predictably not on par with my other truck’s General ATX. Those are **** near snow tires. These are good, maybe very good in winter but not like a dedicated snow tire.

Overall I’m very happy with them so far. Time will tell how they do as they age.

Just a little update. Been running these since the fall on our half ton Ford and they are pretty solid for my purpose. The LT gives a solid ride with the OE suspension and only took about a 1.5mpg hit. Tread is quiet and smooth, no balance issues. Wet traction has been great. Snow traction has been well above acceptable, but predictably not on par with my other truck’s General ATX. Those are **** near snow tires. These are good, maybe very good in winter but not like a dedicated snow tire.

Overall I’m very happy with them so far. Time will tell how they do as they age.
Any air leaks ?

Back