DT/DTD has a private label Nokian 3-peak all-season/all-weather called Encompass AW01

Nokian now makes private label tires for Discount Tire (and Discount Tire Direct). Probably just a DT-exclusive version of the WRG4

I'm actually surprised Nokian is doing this, since private label tires aren't as profitable, and Nokian is the most profitable tire company.

Here is the article on the AW01. They are listed on Nokian's site

Nokian_Tyres_Encompass_AW_01_2000px.png

15" Tire Size
  195/65/R15

16" Tire Size
  215/60/R16
  205/65/R16
  205/55/R16

17" Tire Size
  215/55/R17
  225/65/R17
  225/60/R17
  225/50/R17
  225/55/R17
  235/65/R17

18" Tire Size
  235/55/R18
  235/45/R18
  235/60/R18

I put this tire on our accord about 3 weeks ago. It is quite on the highway and so far does well on the snow and ice. I noticed hitting bumps on the highway are not as jarring with this tire.

Smart move on Nokian's part. They get 1100+ outlets for this tire plus better name recognition in the US market. Not sure where it is being mfg. today but they also need to get their Dayton, TN plant cranked up production-wise.

Nokian now makes private label tires for Discount Tire (and Discount Tire Direct). Probably just a DT-exclusive version of the WRG4

I'm actually surprised Nokian is doing this, since private label tires aren't as profitable, and Nokian is the most profitable tire company.

Here is the article on the AW01. They are listed on Nokian's site

Nokian_Tyres_Encompass_AW_01_2000px.png
IF they do it, they'd do it to Discount Tire's specs and I'm sure they're not the same as the ones bearing NOKIA name on them.

Smart move on Nokian's part. They get 1100+ outlets for this tire plus better name recognition in the US market. Not sure where it is being mfg. today but they also need to get their Dayton, TN plant cranked up production-wise.
How would they get better name recognition as the name NOKIA doesn't appear on the tires. The OP said these are "private label"

About 15 years ago was the last time I had dedicated steel wheels and show tires. At the time General had purchased an older tread style of the Nokian tires, and sold them under the General umbrella.

Its fair to say that if anyone can pull it off Discount can, with their number of stores. I have purchased nothing but Discount "house" brand all season tires for the past 5 years and had good results with their product.

How would they get better name recognition as the name NOKIA doesn't appear on the tires. The OP said these are "private label"

These tires do say Nokian on the sidewall, and they are even listed on Nokian's site :)

Since they're only available at DT/DTD, and it was made specifically for them and exclusively for them, that's why I said private label.

They are more "private model" than "private label".
I think DT has their own model of General Tire all season tire.

It makes it impossible to price match with other outlet as their outlet is the only one.

Krzyś

If I was in the market i would consider them. They are less than 10$ cheaper(per tire) than WRG4 but there is a current 70$ rebate on them.

The Encompass AW01 is manufactured in Russia, alas. I found that out today when a set I ordered from DTD arrived. At least the 195/65R15 is made in Russia. I figured Nokian opens a USA plant, starts to produce tires for USA-based DTD, the tires would come from that plant. Nope. Should have checked. I wanted USA-made tires. Oh, well. Can't say anything after one day, but the tires look and feel solid and smooth. The specs are great. Maybe someday they will be made in the USA.

Back