Has anyone here used the Kumho Solus HA31 all-weather tires?

Kumho doesn't really sell their winter tires in the US, only Canada
08.gif

But I have seem them listed on walmart.com sold by Walmart, not marketplace seller. Walmart carries their Wintercraft line of winter-only winter tires, as well as the HA31 all-weather tires.

Anyway, I am considering them because they are at a great price, by far the best price for name-brand 3-peak all-season "all weather" tires.

I plan on getting another car, but I haven't found anything good that I like yet. My tires are kind of worn, but right now it's 50/50 on whether I'll be able to find a suitable replacement car before the tires are totally toast. I'd rather not spend any more money on this car if I don't have to
cry.gif

Size is 205/65-15. Right now I have the Falken ZE950. If I wanted those again, they're about the same price, but if I actually do buy new tires, I want to try a 3-peak.

I know of all the popular premium 3-peak all-seasons sold here (Toyo Celsius, Nokian WRG4, Vredestein Quatrac 5 are made in my size), but Kumho costs much less, which is appropriate for a car I want to get rid of
45.gif

I am aware that the HA31 is directional, but I probably won't put enough miles on them before I get rid of the car, so it won't be rotation time, and even if I do, Walmart's free rotations include the flip/remount.

Put these on a friend of a friends car. They seem ok, as in ok dry and wet grip, so so noise, balanced up ok, and actually had adequate winter performance, at least when new. And, yes, they were cheap.

They are made in China, not S. Korea, like most other Kumho's , if that matters. That is probably why they are cheaper ...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by edyvw
Based on experience with Kumho's I had on VW CC, I personally would not put anything Kumho on my car even if someone paid me.

Can you expand on this? I've had 3-4 sets on my 06 Escape and they have all been excellent, hence why I keep buying them. I had the worst imaginable experience with Michelin's before but have not banned them from consideration again.

Originally Posted by dcd
Based on experience with Kumho's I had on VW CC, I personally would not put anything Kumho on my car even if someone paid me.

Can you expand on this? I've had 3-4 sets on my 06 Escape and they have all been excellent, hence why I keep buying them. I had the worst imaginable experience with Michelin's before but have not banned them from consideration again.

Quick question, how they behaved in rain, rain + curves, winter + curves (I'm not sure if you had or not snow and/or ice)

Thank you

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by dcd

Quick question, how they behaved in rain, rain + curves, winter + curves (I'm not sure if you had or not snow and/or ice)

Thank you

I elaborated several times on these Kumho's, so I will again.
Tires were Kumho Ecsta LT or LTX or something like that. They came on VW CC brand new when I got car as CPO with 28k. Looked great, deep tread in 235/45 R17 size. More grand touring than performance, but brand new.
So, as I bought car in ATL in the middle of summer, I did not have too much chance to experience in the rain. In dry, they were OK.
When it started to rain more often in the fall, all shortcomings became apparent. ABS could be engaged with just bit of aggressive step on brakes, while in semi-aggressive cornering during wet roads I could feel that tires could not handle the car. After they had 10k, I started to keep more distance between me and other cars during rain, it became ridiculous. DOT was fresh, beginning of that year.
At 12k three out of four tires could not be balanced anymore. At that point I just got Michelin PSS and had a feeling like I bought new car, not new tires.
But their wet performance was plain scary!

I've had several sets of Kumho Ecsta, Kumho Solus & Kumho Sense on 1995 Geo Prizm & 1976 Datsun 280z. Nothing but GREAT experience with every set of tires. Balance with minimal weight, little runout, quiet smooth ride and good grip rain or shine. I drive the Z car HARD sometimes and they don't disappoint. Price is right too. The one negative is they don't last long. But here in south Florida the heat and sun causes most tires to dry rot in short order. Fresh tires make me happy!

Originally Posted by Powerglide
I've had several sets of Kumho Ecsta, Kumho Solus & Kumho Sense on 1995 Geo Prizm & 1976 Datsun 280z. Nothing but GREAT experience with every set of tires. Balance with minimal weight, little runout, quiet smooth ride and good grip rain or shine. I drive the Z car HARD sometimes and they don't disappoint. Price is right too. The one negative is they don't last long. But here in south Florida the heat and sun causes most tires to dry rot in short order. Fresh tires make me happy!

I have now Kumho donut spare tire for Toyota minivan. That is as much as I would ever go with Kumho.

I have now Kumho donut spare tire for Toyota minivan. That is as much as I would ever go with Kumho.

Will a full-size spare fit in the spare tire well? One of the first things I do is replace the donut with a real spare
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Will a full-size spare fit in the spare tire well? One of the first things I do is replace the donut with a real spare
smile.gif

LOL, OK, well maybe :), but sticking to donut.

FWIW, I'm perfectly happy with the Kumho Ecsta PA51s all-seasons that I recently put on the X3d. Even in the snow and ice we've had over the last month or two, they haven't left me stuck anywhere. They replaced the OEM run-flat Pirellis which were near bald.

Along with a much nicer, compliant, responsive ride they also grip excellently in the rain/wet. The snow/ice performance lately is also reassuring. If the only downside is a shorter lifespan, so be it. The Pirellis barely lasted 48k and were well past the safety bar.

YMMV

Kumho's are a mixed bag. Some terrible .. some ok .. some good.

The KH16 I had as oem were bad at everything except being quiet, round , and black.

The ecsta 4x (ku22?) I had on the 2011 forester were actually decent uhp tires but terrible MPG and flatspotted.
I also had cosmetic tread separation at the joints?splices?.. looked funky but apparently wasnt dangerous?

But even Michelin has terrible tires.. the OEM tires on the RAV4 for example. and their AT tires arent so hot either esp for the price.

I'd still try them but it would have to be at a significant price savings to make it worth the bother..
otherwise unless they come out with the best thing since sliced bread I wont be buying them.

Currently using HT51 All weather tires for our '07 MDX for winter duty. Not as dependable in deep snow like dedicated winter tires, but for 90% of the time, it has worked well. Not much hit on MPG, quiet, handles predictably, and stops well in snow/ice.

On my 4th set of Kumho tires on my truck. The only set I ever had a problem with was the 1st set. I mistakenly bought "SL" load rated tires and they didn't last. The next 3 were "E" rated and have been phenomenal for tread life, on/off road traction, wet road, road noise, and ride comfort.

Back