Coolant disposal

Were do most people take their coolant for disposal?

A lot of places around me will gladly take oil but not coolant.

Thanks

Since we are connected to a sanitary sewer system and the municipality permits coolant disposal I dump it down the drain.

Note that this never applies to a stormwater drain nor a private septic system.

Lots of existing threads on this topic btw.

Missed mine this year....I guess I'll have that jug of coolant a while longer. Check to see if your city does something like this.

Wylie.JPG

Since we are connected to a sanitary sewer system and the municipality permits coolant disposal I dump it down the drain.

Note that this never applies to a stormwater drain nor a private septic system.

Lots of existing threads on this topic btw.
this. check with your local municipality, of course, but most sewage treatment plants can easily deal with automotive coolant.
if you're on a private septic system.. no bueno. find a freind with city water/sewer?

Missed mine this year....I guess I'll have that jug of coolant a while longer. Check to see if your city does something like this.

View attachment 35601
reading that.. i was stunned and confused for a minute... wait..city of Wylie? no....can't be..
it's not. I saw you're in TX.
my Aunt and Uncle live in Wiley, Co. for a minute i thought i may have stumbled upon another person from their tiny little town... oh well..only off by 600 or so miles/10 hr drive..

My township has a drum for used oil and another drum for coolant.
There is usually a collection point at the local fire stations here, though I've never used them. O'Rielly's gets my motor oil, and I haven't had to dispose of coolant for quite a while.
I do understand that our local landfill has a hazardous waste "section" where residents of Volusia County can take many items for proper disposal.
Here in Florida, we watch the underground water very closely, and it's nice to know that people take it seriously.
If you've ever been to Blue Springs, and many others, you would see why. Something like 13,000,000 gallons of clear warm water comes out of the ground EVERY DAY!

I do understand that our local landfill has a hazardous waste "section" where residents of Volusia County can take many items for proper disposal.
Here in Florida, we watch the underground water very closely, and it's nice to know that people take it seriously.
If you've ever been to Blue Springs, and many others, you would see why. Something like 13,000,000 gallons of clear warm water comes out of the ground EVERY DAY!
Hence my comment about septic systems and stormwater drains.

However, it's also true that ethylene glycol is highly biodegradable with a short half-life (and why it can be disposed of in a sewer system), and bioaccumulation through groundwater is not a significant issue.

Dump in the sewer Yikes! At least where I’m from sewer systems are simply treated for bacteria levels, sludge settlement, aerate, then release the liquid into the rivers.

Dump in the sewer Yikes! At least where I’m from sewer systems are simply treated for bacteria levels, sludge settlement, aerate, then release the liquid into the rivers.
No municipal sewage treatment system skips digestion. The aerobic digestion process breaks down the glycol just like anything else in the stream. In fact years ago the City of Milwaukee used to encourage glycol disposal for sustaining the sludge digestion. These days they encourage recycling instead but it's not because of any technical reason.

Last edited:
Hence my comment about septic systems and storm water drains.

However, it's also true that ethylene glycol is highly biodegradable with a short half-life (and why it can be disposed of in a sewer system), and bioaccumulation through groundwater is not a significant issue.
while this is true about the glycol the heavy metals are highly toxic:

Potential hazards​

If released to the environment:
  • The heavy metals in coolants can cause significant contamination of soils, groundwater and other water bodies.

How to Safely Dispose of Antifreeze | YourMechanic Advice

Ethylene glycol is a yummy simple molecule to feed a bioreactor.
Hence why municipalities usually don't mind dumping coolant down the drain.

I’ve seen that nonsense before, what heavy metals are in coolant and where do they come from?
it is not nonsense but science

Management of used antifreeze (colorado.gov)

During the process of cooling the engine, antifreeze often becomes contaminated with heavy metals from the engine, grit, and traces of fuel. Benzene, lead, and other toxins picked up from the engine may cause the used antifreeze to fail the Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) test for these constituents. The antifreeze also breaks down over time and forms acids that corrode the cooling system. All wastes, including used antifreeze, must be evaluated to determine if they are hazardous wastes. Used antifreeze that contains listed hazardous wastes or exhibits a characteristic of hazardous waste must be managed following all hazardous waste notification, generator, and transportation requirements.

Yes I know it’s been picked up and repeated many times by multiple individuals and entities on the Internet. Generally by those that have an agenda that isn’t actually supported by science.

Ever read any supposed concentrations of these heavy metals? Or how it compares to the rest of the waste stream entering the treatment plant?

Back