Cool White vs Daylight in 48 “ Florescent Tubes

I won't buy any bulb/lamp over 3000k. I can't stand the 'hot' white and blue lighting. I'm amazed at how many people have blaring hot 6000k light "bulbs" in their lamps and light fixtures in their houses. Unreal.
I feel the same inside the house. I like a “warm” light. In my shop thou I think I have 4500k LED tubes. I don’t mind them out there.

I purchased some Phillips brand 48 inch “Daylight” Florescent Tubes to replace my existing “ Cool White “ tubes that are burning out after 10 years. I like the look. They seem to have a bluish tinge, and not as much glare as the “Cool White” tubes. Also, if my ballasts finally crap out I’ll probably change to LED but that’s for another day. . Compared to the “Daylight” tubes, the Cool White tubes almost look a bit yellowish in a relative sense. Has anyone else converted to “ Daylight” tubes? What’s your preference?

My IPhone is unable to capture the difference, just resulting in glare in the photo.
I used daylight bulbs wherever I can especially in winter. So most fluorescent bulbs are soft white (2700k) GE has a bulb with a slight reddish tinge that's 3450k. Cool white are usually 4000-4200k sunshine are 5000k full spectrum 5250k almost a slight greenish tinge then daylight are 6500k.

If you install led tubes in a flor. fixture do you gain anything with that?? IE less electric used??

First of all, there is no "daylight", since the light temperature changes from 2800K to over 8000k and back during the day.

And yeah, as a cinematographer I'm quite sensitive to this topic, since I make a living from it.

Personally I never understood why anybody want anything else than "warm" lights after sunset - it's unnatural and it messes with your melatonin levels and circadian rhythms. Bad sleep than leads to all sorts of health problems - this is known and well researched since donkeys years (let alone the fact that having a lab light situation in your bedroom is just horrible) and yet - a lot of folks still put glaring cold lights in their homes - it's beyond me.

Talking about LEDs - yes, the technology in our $2000+ Lights we use on set got really good, but I can still spot any consumer LED fixture without even breaking out my light meter form a mile away, no mater what CTR they advertise - benefit and curse of over 30 years of experience I guess :D

Never would I let come any LED even close to my home though - you can take those incandescent bulbs from my dead cold hands.

Having sad that - latest research suggests that there are 35% of folks out there with a genetic defect, that prevents them to tell the difference. Oddly enough, most of them are in Asia, but still a good portion also in the west.

Last edited:
I purchased some Phillips brand 48 inch “Daylight” Florescent Tubes to replace my existing “ Cool White “ tubes that are burning out after 10 years. I like the look. They seem to have a bluish tinge, and not as much glare as the “Cool White” tubes. Also, if my ballasts finally crap out I’ll probably change to LED but that’s for another day. . Compared to the “Daylight” tubes, the Cool White tubes almost look a bit yellowish in a relative sense. Has anyone else converted to “ Daylight” tubes? What’s your preference?

My IPhone is unable to capture the difference, just resulting in glare in the photo.
Cool white are 4100k sunshine are 5000k and if they are indeed Philips daylight fluorescent bulbs those are 6500k. I like those in the wintertime as the short days do a number on me wanting to get to bed too early. I also liked them when studying as I didn't fall asleep nearly as easily. LED daylight bulbs unfortunately seem to be 5000k.

Cool white are 4100k sunshine are 5000k and if they are indeed Philips daylight fluorescent bulbs those are 6500k. I like those in the wintertime as the short days do a number on me wanting to get to bed too early. I also liked them when studying as I didn't fall asleep nearly as easily. LED daylight bulbs unfortunately seem to be 5000k.

Thanks. I ended up putting the Daylights in the pantry room. My wife says they are so bright they make her want to confess.

The Cool Whites are in my garage with a high roof and are replacing existing cool white bulbs as they ”burn out”. The ballasts are still good after eleven years. I found the Daylights would just be two darned bright as I have 34-4 ft tubes in 17 sets of 2 each.

I won't buy any bulb/lamp over 3000k. I can't stand the 'hot' white and blue lighting. I'm amazed at how many people have blaring hot 6000k light "bulbs" in their lamps and light fixtures in their houses. Unreal.

It seems that 6000K bulbs are the cheapest ones to make. The lower the color temperature, the more phosphor needed, therefore the more they cost.

I ordered another 10 Cool White bulbs from Amazon. They came sufficiently packed using bubble wrap. All good.

A76E1984-36F7-421B-A8BF-011473510D3A.jpeg
8AB388ED-A4D9-4496-9E55-479EE182A3D5.jpeg

Not that it would be terribly relevant to the OP, but since LEDs were mentioned, they can be adjustable like many of my desk lamps. At least one company has a switch for fluorescent replacement tubes.

TOG_HD_SlideToSelect_1024x1024.jpg

So you guys only go out during sunset, and complain when you have to go outside at noon? lol

No. At noon high-color temperature light is perfectly appropriate, and the sun provides plenty of it.

At 10pm, though, it's not desirable to make my house look like it's lit up like a mall parking lot.

No. At noon high-color temperature light is perfectly appropriate, and the sun provides plenty of it.

At 10pm, though, it's not desirable to make my house look like it's lit up like a mall parking lot.

Adjustable color temperature can be pretty nice. I don't need a whole lot of light and actually just a bigger desk lamp in the living room at night just to make sure I can get around. But I choose a color temperature that I like.

Ive bought led bulbs that work directly with the fluorescent ballasts. they were direct replacements and I didn't have touch the fixture.

Ive bought led bulbs that work directly with the fluorescent ballasts. they were direct replacements and I didn't have touch the fixture.

I thought about that but when I discussed it on BITOG I was persuaded to get ballast bypass tubes. I've replaced a ballast before so I was comfortable rewiring. It will probably outlast me, although I barely use that light.

The ballast still sucks up energy and will buzz a bit. And if the ballast fails is it worth it to replace it?

I thought about that but when I discussed it on BITOG I was persuaded to get ballast bypass tubes. I've replaced a ballast before so I was comfortable rewiring. It will probably outlast me, although I barely use that light.

The ballast still sucks up energy and will buzz a bit. And if the ballast fails is it worth it to replace it?
I did the same and it is a very easy job to do....

I liked the GE spiral fluorescent bulbs. They came in 2700k, 3400k ( the reddish tinge) 4100k white like hid bulbs, 5000k is sunshine which I can't find in LEDs and daylight which is supposed to be 6500k. I like those in the winter time with the short days.

Phones and digital cameras have auto white balance. You can usually adjust it manually, but it still won’t capture what the human eye sees. I don’t like daylight bulbs.
They only see a particular "sample" of red, green, and blue. Phosphors in flourescent bulbs also emit fairly narrow wavelengths, which at times "clash" with a sensor, film stock, etc. Lighting with better CRI (100% is perfect, as given by the sun and incandescent bulbs) is best captured in photos, allows dyes to look like they should, and is generally most pleasing to look at.

I lived through the 90s when they tried making "warm" flourescents. They mostly just looked brown. Yuck!

I'm also a fan of lighting on the cooler, brighter side, particularly in a work space like a garage.

Back