Converting to Fram Synthetic Filter & Penzoil Plat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
we use motorcraft on fords and sometimes other oem but for the most part we use a jobber filter in most.

I like oem on most of mine because i like flow and generally most oem filters flow best because everyone knows dirty oil filters much better than none at all.

We used group 7 and classics for years which is a purolater but since purolater went down hill with all the wavy media and tears we switched.
Sometimes we use oem because for a couple of dollars more they look
really nice on a newly rebuilt engine. Since we changed we tried a couple of filter brands and like the pro tech so far

crazyoildude, your position is very interesting with one foot on each side of the Purolator fence here.

Motorcraft is manufactured by Purolator and 2 of the filter failures tabulated in the Google spreadsheet here are Motorcraft.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...p=sharing#gid=0

Look at rows 35 and 39 in that spreadsheet.

Yet you warn others to stay away from Purolator and Bosch and switched away from Purolator and Group 7 in your business.

Then you avocate buying oem filters like Motorcraft for some perceived flow vs. filtration quality benefit.

Why so serious?

You are chock full of good info, look forward to your posts..
I'd wager that there's only 2 motorcraft filter failers , because most of those users are going through Fords Fast Lane & never touch their filters..

Do you have a Data sheet on Frams ???

not sure why it wouldn't allow the direct link to the Mail in rebate page but never the less there are 2 offers for the Pennzoil purchases like was mentioned.

There is in fact a 10 mail in rebate for store purchased jugs of oil. Then there is also the 50 cent per gallon fuel discount.

Look at their promotions page and you want the Get $10 Back By Mail bottom left offer, and then their is SAVE 50¢/GAL WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL on the top right.

http://www.pennzoil.com/promotions/

There is potential for 20 dollars in rebate savings.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Pennzoil & Quaker State each ran their companies kind of into the ground, then merged, then went further downhill. For example, Quaker State bought out Slick50 in 1996 and sold its last refineries in 1997 (rather than investing in modernizing them).

Shell owns what was left of the merged Quaker State - Pennzoil company (since 2002), including the product names & trademarks.

It's easier to find the Quaker State historical milestones these days than the Pennzoil milestones.

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/history

There is no way for a retail customer to effectively determine the country of origin of most petroleum products these days, and we still import a lot of crude oil. That's why most motor oil labels now say something about containing domestic and imported components.

Yeah ran into ground with 30% of North America's PCMO market share.
Someone should not fancy themselves as the authority of the lubrication market without stating the facts. Like the shareholders of the Pennzoil/Quaker State company made out pretty well because of the buyout and blenders that are blending that much product could easily out punt their coverage compared to multi-billion dollar conglomerates such as Royal Dutch Shell and XOM that actually produces the additive and base oil packages for lubricants.
Someone should not fancy themselves an expert in the petroleum refining industry if they aren't.

There isn't anything false in my statements.

Buying Slick50 was far from a great business decision.

Exiting the refining business was obviously unsustainable or they wouldn't have been bought out.

I started working in the petroleum business in 1986.

I worked for a company that produced lubricating oil stocks from specialty grade crudes in addition to a fuels & petrochemicals refinery. Representatives from Quaker State came to our facility but dismissed our business - but that facility still operates today, still going strong.

So tell us exactly what view you had of Quaker States facilities, or Pennzoil's, before they were bought out, and how many years experience you have in producing lubricating oil base stocks?

Then post factual information not biased rumor then again opinions can be convenient then fact.

Pennzoil & Quaker State each ran their companies kind of into the ground, then merged, then went further downhill. For example, Quaker State bought out Slick50 in 1996 and sold its last refineries in 1997 (rather than investing in modernizing them).

Shell owns what was left of the merged Quaker State - Pennzoil company (since 2002), including the product names & trademarks.

It's easier to find the Quaker State historical milestones these days than the Pennzoil milestones.

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/history

There is no way for a retail customer to effectively determine the country of origin of most petroleum products these days, and we still import a lot of crude oil. That's why most motor oil labels now say something about containing domestic and imported components.

Yeah ran into ground with 30% of North America's PCMO market share.
Someone should not fancy themselves as the authority of the lubrication market without stating the facts. Like the shareholders of the Pennzoil/Quaker State company made out pretty well because of the buyout and blenders that are blending that much product could easily out punt their coverage compared to multi-billion dollar conglomerates such as Royal Dutch Shell and XOM that actually produces the additive and base oil packages for lubricants.
Someone should not fancy themselves an expert in the petroleum refining industry if they aren't.

There isn't anything false in my statements.

Buying Slick50 was far from a great business decision.

Exiting the refining business was obviously unsustainable or they wouldn't have been bought out.

I started working in the petroleum business in 1986.

I worked for a company that produced lubricating oil stocks from specialty grade crudes in addition to a fuels & petrochemicals refinery. Representatives from Quaker State came to our facility but dismissed our business - but that facility still operates today, still going strong.

So tell us exactly what view you had of Quaker States facilities, or Pennzoil's, before they were bought out, and how many years experience you have in producing lubricating oil base stocks?

Then post factual information not biased rumor then again opinions can be convenient then fact.

You clearly delight in American refining companies running their companies poorly enough that they get bought out by foreign owned companies, that's a clear fact, no matter how that affects domestic production and domestic jobs. Petroleum & petrochemicals have been along the forefront of balance of trade in a positive note for the US for a long, long time.

tell us all about the jigs you danced when the Venezuelan state oil company purchased what was left of Cities Service and Union Pacific Resources.

It must have been a very, very dark day for you when the government blocked a Chinese state owned oil company from purchasing Union 76.

So long as Wall Street's happy, that's clearly all that matters - and any other facts are immediately attacked as heretical. Who needs American owned independent refineries anyway you say.

I've worked with former Pennzoil refinery employees. Pennzoil got a huge chunk of money when they won their court case against Texaco, then clearly chose not to invest it back into the company. The resulting effects for Texaco was having to find a partner, which was Saudi Aramco, and become Star Enterprises, then further JV's in Motiva, Equistar, etc. so when Chevron bought Texaco, Chevron had to pay the portion that was Texaco legacy to Shell & ZSaudi Aramco to unravel those threads.

The Motiva Port Arthur, TX refinery and the Motiva Convent, LA refinery were once Texaco flagship refineries.

Brilliant business acumen there.

I challenge you to directly quote and refute anything I've posted with independent corroboration. Show us all what you've got for us beyond doublethink.

Last edited:
I got Fram Ultra XG 10575 filters from a Fram reseller for about half price from what Walmart sells them for with free shipping and no sales tax.

As far as Pennzoil Platinum goes, let us know how the car runs after you change the oil in the car.

The Motiva Port Arthur, TX refinery and the Motiva Convent, LA refinery were once Texaco flagship refineries.

Texaco in Port Arthur and the former Gulf (bought by Chevron) across the street were once "mini-cities" and now are no more than a shell of what they once were. The loss of Gulf in the South was the start of a major downturn in the area. Mobil in Beaumont, Conoco and Cities Service in Lake Charles, Texaco and Gulf in Port Arthur, Exxon in Baton Rouge and Houston, and Shell in Norco were once the largest producers of anything oil related in the US. Been too many years since I was in the petro-chem industry to know where they stand now, but I am guessing they do not produce anything like they once did.

Originally Posted By: OlPalGary
Does anyone know why Pennzoil doesn't put TAMPER PROOF seals on their 5 quart bottle of oil ???

One of my pet peeves...

Maybe it has something to do with no longer being American owned (maybe dave 1251 can tell us). I know the white round QS plastic bottles I used in the 80's had the foil seals under the caps.

Pennzoil is an American oil company founded in Los Angeles, California in 1913. In 1955, it was acquired by Oil City, Pennsylvania company South Penn Oil, a former branch of Standard Oil. In 1963, South Penn Oil merged with Zapata Petroleum; the merged company took the Pennzoil name. In 1968 United Gas Corporation became part of Pennzoil. (Although United Gas was a larger company, pre-merger, Pennzoil had successfully used a "leveraged buyout" strategy.) During the 1970s, the company moved its offices to Houston, Texas. In 1977 a spin-off company was formed called Pogo, which stood for Pennzoil Offshore Gas Operators.

Pennzoil was headquartered in Pennzoil Place in Downtown Houston during the 1970s.
In 1999 Pennzoil's E&P business (known as PennzEnergy) was acquired by Oklahoma City based Devon Energy and the [now known as] Pennzoil-Quaker was purchased by Royal Dutch/Shell Group to form SOPUS—Shell Oil Products US.

Yes - the facts.

Neither Pennzoil nor Quaker State (nor Pennzoil - Quaker State)invested in hydroprocessing to be able to produce Group II base stocks. Former Pennzoil engineers I've worked with said Pennzoil was adamant about only continuing what the had previously been doing.

The refinery I worked at that still produces pale oils from a specialty grade crude oil invested in hydroprocessing equipment & catalyst for that unit in the 1970's.

Yes - the facts.

Neither Pennzoil nor Quaker State (nor Pennzoil - Quaker State)invested in hydroprocessing to be able to produce Group II base stocks. Former Pennzoil engineers I've worked with said Pennzoil was adamant about only continuing what the had previously been doing.

The refinery I worked at that still produces pale oils from a specialty grade crude oil invested in hydroprocessing equipment & catalyst for that unit in the 1970's.

Seems now they have a Natural Gas type of purification that makes their Base Stock over 99% pure !! That's pretty impressive to me !!
Even the other Pennzoil Platinum that I was using they said they were using the purest base in the industry !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owqkmJPNKwk

Technology like this actually improve & protect our Cars & other Vehicles is amazing, & I for 1 am going to support it, by using it in my vehicles !!
whistle.gif

Yes - Shell has made much more investment in production of Pennzoil and Quaker State base oil production since Shell bought what was left of the Pennzoil - Quaker State company in 2002. Considering Pennzoil got a boatload of money ($3 billion) when they won their court case against Texaco in the 1980's, and yet they were adamant in not investing in upgrading their refineries to even produce group II base stocks, it is not surprising they were bought out in 2002.

The GTL base stock you're referring to comes from Shell's world-class GTL Pearl plant in Quatar.

http://www.shell.com/global/aboutshell/major-projects-2/pearl.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back