Conventional oil difficult to find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG! Conventional oil evaporates, burns and degrades. Even the cheap oil change places use a Synthetic blend and not conventional oil. Just use a 10-40 Synthetic high mileage in that clunker & change the oil every 8K miles. Bet you won't have to add much between oil changes.
This reminds me every time I look up my 20+ year old motorcycle manuals and they are telling you to use a conventional oil, the cheapest synthetic blend (CONVENTIONAL OIL NOW) would run rings around the specs that long ago.

Last edited:
Most "conventionals" have been what could be called a synthetic blend since at least the SM era if not SJ. If you have used 5W-30 in the last 20 years, odds are that you have already been using a blend. The majors like SOPUS, Valvoline, Castrol, etc. are just doing in the past couple of years what some like ConocoPhilips (Trop-Artic oil) did 20 years ago when they sold it at Target and market their entry level oils as blends, because likely they have been since the advent of hydrocracking...

Does Motorcraft still offer a blend? I recall folks being satisfied and happy with it.

Motorcraft is a quality oil, but it is pretty close to the above CP Trop-Artic, Philips 66, Kendell...

Last edited:

The above SP era oils are almost certainly all blends. It's just marketing semantics at this point; Pennzoil, Valvoline and Castrol hesitated to call their entry level oils blends because they didn't want to take away form their specifically purposed synthetic blend-badged oils marketed as high mileage or "Dexos" like Duramax, MaxLife or Gold (Dexos) they charged more for...

I don't know if it has been mentioned but I would use Havoline Synthetic Blend 6 quart boxes for that application. It is currently $19.97 at WalMart. Order 2 on line and it will be shipped to your door for free.

I've read at least some of the above thread... and I have to conclude, then, that the Supertech "Conventional" 5W-30 I bought at Walmart here in Canada, it being an "SP" oil, must be a non-PAO based synthetic blend, i.e. a Group 3 hydrocracked oil? Kindly see picture.

As I once experienced a rear main seal leak on a New Old Stock Moto Guzzi (factory fill, Agip Sint 2000 synthetic blend) when I proceeded to use Mobil1 full synthetic... well, I'm a wee bit gun-shy with synthetics and old machinery. (The Castol 10W-40 conventional motor oil "healed" the Guzzi almost right on the spot, well-nigh miraculously).

Running the Supertech in a 99 Camry L4 and a 99 Corolla.

Any and All: comments? Is that oil I bought half-ways ok?

Attachments

• PXL_20230106_234544169.jpg
    PXL_20230106_234544169.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back