Conventional oil difficult to find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here, I read through the threads, but no answer. I'm not an oil expert, but I like to keep conventional oil in my 2003 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl. 275K. I have to top it off a few times between changes, maybe a quart or two total over 6K. I also don't want to spend more than $20 bucks for 5 qt

My favorite oil was Quaker State Advanced Durability 5W-30, I was getting it for $18 from Walmart. There's still some around on the internet, but it's $27 (too much)

I can't find that anymore locally, so last oil change I used Pennzoil 5W-30 from Home Depot for $18 bucks. Now I can't find that! Not at Lowes, either.

Am I being too picky? I don't want to introduce synthetic into this vehicle, and I prefer not today use high mileage, either. I just want oil, straight oil.

What's next? Pay more for conventional, start using high mileage, or synthetic blend?

You're definitely being too picky. Conventional oil just can't meet the newest performance standards and are getting phased out. You have probably been using a synthetic blend already if you have changed your oil since API SN Plus was released.

If you want to track down true conventional, you can check hardware stores, Harbor Freight, and Menards and look for Pennzoil conventional or Formula Shell.

Is there a concern against switching to full synthetic? If you're afraid of leaks starting, I would switch to a blend for a few changes and then to full synthetic

New here, I read through the threads, but no answer. I'm not an oil expert, but I like to keep conventional oil in my 2003 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl. 275K. I have to top it off a few times between changes, maybe a quart or two total over 6K. I also don't want to spend more than $20 bucks for 5 qt

My favorite oil was Quaker State Advanced Durability 5W-30, I was getting it for $18 from Walmart. There's still some around on the internet, but it's $27 (too much)

I can't find that anymore locally, so last oil change I used Pennzoil 5W-30 from Home Depot for $18 bucks. Now I can't find that! Not at Lowes, either.

Am I being too picky? I don't want to introduce synthetic into this vehicle, and I prefer not today use high mileage, either. I just want oil, straight oil.

What's next? Pay more for conventional, start using high mileage, or synthetic blend?
Prices have narrowed - things are being phased out or limited supply

For the most part there hasn't been any conventional lower than 10w30 since SN. Companies have been hesitant doing away with the conventional label and replacing it with blend because some old timers got antsy. Some brands sidestep the issue and simply say oil. I guess the only people using the term "conventional" any more are the quick change places that haven't updated their service menus. If it's SP, it's a blend. Quaker State Advanced Durability was a blend.

I understand not wanting to change, it's human nature, we don't like change but as mentioned you've been using a blend without really knowing.

A good blend would be Maxlife Red bottle, who knows it might even help with your oil usage a bit.
He might as well use the New Black bottle from Valvoline that's for cars and trucks with over 150,000 miles

Plus the Great Worriment about "synthetic" was founded on PAO. Most of today's synthetics are either predominately or entirely Group III base stocks which are structurally equivalent to a conventional base stock. The whole thing isn't even relevant anymore unless you are talking about expensive boutique brands that are majority PAO.

I understand not wanting to change, it's human nature, we don't like change but as mentioned you've been using a blend without really knowing.

A good blend would be Maxlife Red bottle, who knows it might even help with your oil usage a bit.
Does Motorcraft still offer a blend? I recall folks being satisfied and happy with it.

Here let me show you the Bob is the oil guy creed.

I do not change my oil with conventional; he who changes his oil with conventional has forgotten the face of his father. I change with synthetic.

I do not change my oil when it turns dark; he who changes his oil when it turns dark has forgotten the face of his father. I change my oil using previously documented UOA’s and manufacturer recommendations (because the engineers know more than you).

I do not buy the best oil; he who buys the best oil has forgotten the face of his father. I buy the oil that meets specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back