Conventional Gone

I think it's syn blend, because Mag1 only has synblend for 5w30 and 5w20, while 10w30,10w40,20w50,SAE30, and SAE40 are still conventional.

I can't seem to find leaded gas anymore either, I hate modern technology, innovation, and fuel efficency. Why do cars have to get 30 mpg? I want my 500 ci caddy land yacht with 150 hp and 5 mpg. Then Ill go home and watch I love lucy on my black and white 8 inch tube tv and call my family on a rotary phone. Come on people stop living in the past. Companies arent going to make products to suit the needs of 1 consumer. They must make products that are relevant for current vehicles to stay competative. Especially in todays ultra competative market. Adapt or fail.

Last edited:
I'm fine with conventional oil disappearing from the market, so long as syn blends (at conventional prices) are here to stay.

Yup, especially when Chevron Supreme is $12 for 5 quarts, no reason to buy ST conventional.

Nothing burgers are delicious, but not very filling. HAHA :D

Agreed. Chevrone Supreme 1000x better than ST Conv dino lol

Dave

I can't seem to find leaded gas anymore either, I hate modern technology, innovation, and fuel efficency. Why do cars have to get 30 mpg? I want my 500 ci caddy land yacht with 150 hp and 5 mpg. Then Ill go home and watch I love lucy on my black and white 8 inch tube tv and call my family on a rotary phone. Come on people stop living in the past. Companies arent going to make products to suit the needs of 1 consumer. They must make products that are relevant for current vehicles to stay competative. Especially in todays ultra competative market. Adapt or fail.
Well stated 🍺🇺🇸🇨🇦

I don’t know, most of the modern stuff seems very underpowered for what it is like the modern V8 engines I’ve seen. It’s fine we disagree, I will always be a fan of old stuff. That’s just what I think. I have heard from many it’s the emissions. I do know the modern Mustang are pretty fast but they just don’t have that V8 power or sound like they did in the old days. When fuel injection first came out I heard it was a total disaster because they hadn’t worked the bugs out and everyone hated it. Mechanical Fuel Injection was worse. I know the fuel injection when it first came out on the beetles like I like was a total disaster too I’ve had to work on some of the injected ones. Of course that’s mechanical like my dads 1977 Alfa Romeo Spider was too and that thing I swear he was working on it every week with that weird fuel injection system.
Yeah … when my boss hit 190 mph in his bogged down super snake … decided he’d seen enough …
Bogged down car has some massive Brembo grippers … don’t make sense on a bogged down modern car.

I wonder though how much of this modern power is "true power". An analogy would be a 50wpc Mac power amp from the 1960s vs a Best Buy 400wpc power amp. The Mac will blow it out of the water because it's true power.

A friend of mine has a newish G37 coupe. rated at 300+ something hp. My 300ZX is rated at 222hp. My car will totally and completely spank her car.
Weight and gearing are the two biggest factors in that. Your Z32 na is around 400lbs lighter than the g37 coupe, but more importantly Nissan stuck very steep gears into the NA z32s to give them a good seat of the pants feel. 4.11 ratio. They accelerate quickly because of this.

If the G37 had the 4.09 diff upgrade it,would feel like a different car.

Having owned an NA 300zx, i have a strong feeling the G37 at highway speeds would pull away from you pretty easily from a 70mph roll. Stoplight to stoplight and around town is a different story.

I made a trip to Walmart today and noticed the same thing. With the exception of Castrol GTX, all other brands of non-high mileage conventional/synthetic blend were gone. It (non-HM conv/blend) must not sell well enough for Walmart to provide it shelf space.
Also dumped 5 gallons of used oil at Autozone today and noticed similar situation. No valvoline white bottle or classic pennzoil yellow bottle. I’m curious if places like Rural King will keep it stocked.
If you have an Attwoods near you, then you should be okay. Last time I went into my local one they had lots of dino.

Will be switching to Quaker State All Mileage 5w30, decided I don't have a choice here soon so might as well switch now especially since I have to replace a leaking engine oil cooler line.

Something I noticed on the bottle of this "All Mileage" is it says it has seal conditioners in it to help prevent, slow or stop leaks so in reality I think it is just re-branded high mileage oil.

I found some "conventional" at Walmart today...

1 (1).jpg

Some nice SP 5w-20 that is for sure a blend.

This was clearance though, so no idea what is currently on the shelf (I looked at filters, not oil).

Weight and gearing are the two biggest factors in that. Your Z32 na is around 400lbs lighter than the g37 coupe, but more importantly Nissan stuck very steep gears into the NA z32s to give them a good seat of the pants feel. 4.11 ratio. They accelerate quickly because of this.

Having owned an NA 300zx, i have a strong feeling the G37 at highway speeds would pull away from you pretty easily from a 70mph roll. Stoplight to stoplight and around town is a different story.
That's sort of how my Celica Supra felt. It had 4.30 gears in back and was a 3000lb car. I felt in around town driving it wasn't THAT much slower than an early 2000s Mustang GT I also drove, but the GT's gearing was way taller, something like 3.23 or 3.11. I'd be redlining first gear at 27mph in my Supra, it was pretty fun as it wasn't a gutless engine but it still loved to rev and I'd rev it everywhere. :cool:

I found some "conventional" at Walmart today...

View attachment 52991

Some nice SP 5w-20 that is for sure a blend.

This was clearance though, so no idea what is currently on the shelf (I looked at filters, not oil).
At my Walmart they switched the Supertech over to "All Mile Coverage" Synthetic blend.

I love the heavy weight feel of my 300ZX. I swear they’re indestructible. Built like a tank. I raced one of those goofy looking Porsche sedans one time from probably an 80mph roll and blew their doors off.

That's sort of how my Celica Supra felt. It had 4.30 gears in back and was a 3000lb car. I felt in around town driving it wasn't THAT much slower than an early 2000s Mustang GT I also drove, but the GT's gearing was way taller, something like 3.23 or 3.11. I'd be redlining first gear at 27mph in my Supra, it was pretty fun as it wasn't a gutless engine but it still loved to rev and I'd rev it everywhere. :cool:
My 300ZX has that two-stroke dirt bike power band feel once you pass 4000rpm. That’s when the engine’s power kicks in.

I love the heavy weight feel of my 300ZX. I swear they’re indestructible. Built like a tank. I raced one of those goofy looking Porsche sedans one time from probably an 80mph roll and blew their doors off.
I loved my 300zx but it was an absolute nightmare to work on outside of oil changes or fuel filter changes i.e. basic maintenance .

Sure is a beauty though .

Why would using an oil made from a group III base be detrimental compared to an oil made from group II or most likely group II+III? I don't get it. Oils are better than ever, why complain? There won't be any difference at all as long as it is changed on time and has the correct approval.

Back