Conventional Gone

Yes they’re getting a reputable product that has predictable characteristics. That’s what a “name brand” means.

My point was I was told that >SOME< of these mobile mechanic customers don't care if it's a synblend or full synthetic. They're just buying THE NAME BRAND !!!!!! Just to show their customers whats going in their cars.

Mobil Super 5000 and Valvoline Daily Protection are at least SP+ synblend's. Most consumers dont care, They're just buying the NAME BRAND
hence we Im hearing Mobil Super 5000 returning to Walmart soon

Dave

My point was I was told that >SOME< of these mobile mechanic customers don't care if it's a synblend or full synthetic. They're just buying THE NAME BRAND !!!!!! Just to show their customers whats going in their cars.

Mobil Super 5000 and Valvoline Daily Protection are at least SP+ synblend's. Most consumers dont care, They're just buying the NAME BRAND
hence we Im hearing Mobil Super 5000 returning to Walmart soon

Dave
Okay.

The only "conventional" I had been seeking the last decade was Rotella Triple Protect 10W30 all fleet. It had been the ubiquitous
standard bearer for ODPE and older engines. But the Mower doesn't care what's in there, the Generac 5500 Generator wants something beefier; I traded in my 25 year old, beloved MTD Snow thrower with a Tecumseh SK Flat Head for a now hated Toro HD unit with some Asian LONCIN OHV engine. That engine is not picky; a 5w30 "Premium" motor oil will do fine.

I can only find Rotella T4 in "conventional" which is not dual rated anymore

Shell Rotella T4 10W30

Petrochemical companies have customers. Sometimes “doing business internally” … but often they will have a couple dozen customers buying the same base stocks. The customers are needing to meet the specs of THEIR customers …
All of this means the lower grade base stocks are going away for PVL applications … albeit large bore marine engines will keep some lower grade supplies in the pipeline …
This also means the price delta will narrow … so you will not always find “conventional” or blends super cheap.

I still remember 90s when in the store there would be only one or two FULL SYN that used to cost a fortune. Nowadays its the oposite, the new FULL SYN is basically conventional….

Anyone that thinks a high quality modern high VI hydrocracked Group III synthetic is "basically conventional" and anything like a Group I or Group II conventional has no idea what they are talking about. Yes the molecules are structurally similar but that is where the similarity ends.

And this thread isn't even about that, you just seem to like to inject your false assumptions into many threads. Even conventional oils are nothing like they were in the 90s.

I buy my full synthetic oil from Amazon less than 22 bucks for a 5 quart jug. In 2021, I think
that's a fairly reasonable buy. Especially since I don't have to change it but every 6 - 7 thousand miles.
Instead of the 3 thousand I done religiously with conventional oil.

I still remember 90s when in the store there would be only one or two FULL SYN that used to cost a fortune. Nowadays its the oposite, the new FULL SYN is basically conventional….
This is what human progress is.
Your verbiage may be incorrect but your observation is that of relentless continuous improvement.

Back