Consumer alert from PQIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep a quart of Supertech 5W30 Synthetic for top off oil (it's a much better oil than for that application though) because it's convenient .

I consulted the PQIA site for their analysis of various oils (hundreds, actually, since 2009) and was only mildly surprised to see rows of red dots indicating WARNING!. I always wondered what was in all those luridly colored pus yellow, blood red, and baby vomit green-labeled bottles of oil at some truck stops, "mom and pop" gas stations, and small grocery store shelves. Now I know.

For the intrepid investigator, the PQIA site's list of passenger car motor oil analysis offers quite a few more scaaaaaaaaary, sanity-checking oils eager to send our engines to the 644th layer of the Abyss.

It's always the same, just another version of same old story! Avoid all gas station oils that you don't recognize the name of and it's gonna be fine. That crap in the beaker looks like used filtered oil. Garbage.

Glenview is actually a very nice suburb of Chicago...the family of a good friend of mine moved there after his dad started doing very well with a new business he had started.
Of course, that's just a PO Box address....I suspect this is some kind of shadow company that would fold up and disappear if it started getting hit with lawsuits.
You might be better off trying to vacuum up oil from big stains in parking lots for topoff than using this stuff...

I think it's getting to the point that you're probably OK buying oil with a recognizable brand name on it...for example, 7-11 oil is perfectly reasonable stuff. I think even dollar store branded oils are becoming respectable.
If it's a brand name you've never heard of, spend the extra $1-2 and get Pennzoil, 7-11, Supertech...anything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back