Considering a 2002 Cavalier Sedan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Sorry I forgot to add some stuff:

It's the old 2.2...slow (115hp) but quite a tough little engine.
Parts (for the most part) are cheap to replace. Has struts on both the front and back. Quite sure (hopefully) that it is the 4 speed auto. They don't make many decent tires in the 14 inch size anymore..

One annoying thing about them is that they like to eat control arm brushings..I'd check those.

Let me know if you have questions.....could give you a nice list depending on what you are looking for.
smile.gif

Everyone, remember here that the 2.2L that this Cavalier has is NOT the OHV pushrod engine that was used in the 90's. This 2.2L is the EcoTec motor, the same one that the Cobalt used.

The old 2.2 was used in the base models until the end of 2002. The start of the 2002 model year had a small last run of Z24s with the 2.4 motor. About mid year, they rolled out the replacement, the LS Sport, which had the 2.2 Ecotec engine.

So there are some 2002 LS Sports floating around out there with the Ecotec. In 2003, it was the standard and only engine until the end of production...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I think he already confirmed it was the 2.2 OHV, That year I *think* only Z24 models got the Ecotec.

I had a '95 and '03, both were solid and I actually enjoyed driving them around the city. It's not a roadtrip car at all - but for errands and short trips I liked them a lot! And yes the oil filter is a pain on the OHV, but everything else is simple.

The do make good city drivers....

mine ate front brakes till i splurged on high end stuff $240.00 in 06, that cured it, crack in the center of dash, rust infront of rear wheel, and doors, i had a couple of small electrical gremlins that were pretty inexpensive to fix.. otherwise it was the most dependable car ive ever called my daily driver.. i sold it due to a funky sound comming from the tranny at around 151,xxx on the clock.. it was a five speed manual.. clutch was fine.. so this was inside the tranny.. SOLD. i beat that car like it was a red headed step child..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
mine ate front brakes till i splurged on high end stuff $240.00 in 06, that cured it, crack in the center of dash, rust infront of rear wheel, and doors, i had a couple of small electrical gremlins that were pretty inexpensive to fix.. otherwise it was the most dependable car ive ever called my daily driver.. i sold it due to a funky sound comming from the tranny at around 151,xxx on the clock.. it was a five speed manual.. clutch was fine.. so this was inside the tranny.. SOLD. i beat that car like it was a red headed step child..

Yep...still see the kids beating on these...

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

ahh yes forgot about the dash cracks.

My gf's 2002 Cavalier Coupe has the 2.2ohv, 5-speed manual with 108,000 miles on it. She is the original owner and other than the paint coming off the roof, 1 small crack in the dash, and assorted squeaks its been a great little car. Mechanically the owner thing that has ever failed is 1 fuel pump.

Well, for some reason, my niece basically gave the whole family the middle finger today... so she can keep on driving her Grand Am until the wheels fall off. I don't care anymore. No more free oil changes, no more brake jobs... nothing.

A nice pile of parts that I bought for her Grand Am will be sent back to Rock Auto on Monday.

Wow. That's gratitude for you.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I would be getting it for my niece, who is getting married soon.

I feel VERY sorry for her husband already!

No good deed goes unpunished..Instead of giving you the middle finger she should be kissing you.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
It's gotta be a kid thing...

Sucks that it happened...

I got my head out of my a$$ about 25yrs old, got involved and back in good standing with the family around 26-27 (no falling out, i was just unsociable with them) it is a kid thing, and for some it takes longer than others.. im 35 now and look back and laugh at myself..

I've always had a good relationship with my entire family. My cousin, a year younger on the other hand, has always been in trouble. She just got married at age 18, she's on welfare, doesn't talk to her mom, steals from the family, and the guy she married, while I think he's a decent guy, we spent some time together back when I visited in march, the rest of the family doesn't seem him the same way (for no real reason). He's in the Army too. She dropped out of high school too. And she doesn't listen to anything anyone tells her. feelsbadman.

While the Cavalier seems to be a really nice car to drive, I do notice here on the east coast they rust very quickly (seems like a general trend for smaller cars vs larger cars which tend to hold up better). So, the grand am, being of thicker heavier metal, may live to a higher age than the cavalier, so I don't know if she'll get her money's worth.

Maybe also she was averse to spending more money on cars, even though in mrsilv's opinion it would've been a great deal. sometimes there can be great deals, but one just wants to pass anyways because one is on a budget or wants to focus on something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back