2002 Buick LeSabre Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother, at 92, passed away a few weeks ago and I am in the process of helping my dad dispose of her belongings and liquidating as much as possible. One of the things that I am doing is selling her 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited.

Today was the first time that I drove the car; they have owned it since it was new. It currently has 34,000 miles (yes, that number is correct) on it. It has only been used for a few errands the last 5 years and over the last year it was only driven a couple of times. Even from new it wasn't used often-mainly to drive from the farm to our place, grocery store, etc. The only minor issue is a small scuff on the front left corner; not something that I am concerned with.

The thought never crossed my mind to consider keeping it when she passed, but after driving it for a short time I find it somewhat likeable.

I'm not at all familiar with GM products, but I have to admit that after driving it I'm considering keeping it and reimbursing the estate. However I'd like some unbiased information about the car-pros and cons and I am interested in hearing your opinions about this vintage Buick, especially if you own one.

As I see it, the pros are:

It has low mileage. Despite being 12 years old it has been well maintained.
Book value on it is somewhere around $6,000 which is what I would pay the estate.
It is clean outside and clean inside.
It seems to run well. It is just over 50 miles from the farm to here and it rode and drove perfectly.
Most of my driving is 55 MPH highway, so I should be able to get close to 30 MPG.
Parts, insurance and registration fees are inexpensive.
I have all the maintenance records.
It does not have a black interior (I do not care for a black interior).

The cons are:

It has a lot of bells and whistles that I do not like. Heated seats, memory seats/mirrors, driver information center, auto headlights and wipers, etc.
The 3800 Series engine may have lower intake manifold gasket issues. I am assuming this is one that is affected and will need addressed at some point.
Not as much headroom as my Elantra that I now daily drive. At 6'4" I felt my head brushing against the roof. I may be able to play with the seat adjustments and overcome this.
I am not overly fond of GM products, but it is just a car and I do not want that bias to stand in the way of a decent vehicle.
Not quite the fuel mileage of the Elantra, but the difference is minimal. Perhaps an overall average of 2 MPH less.
It has been sitting mostly unused for quite some time. While I don't think this is a problem, there could be hidden issues. Changing the fluids and engine wear items (hoses, belts, etc.) is a given, but not that expensive or difficult.
Leather seats. I do not care for leather seats.
Old people and Buicks. I would become an instant cliché. I promise not to leave my turn signal on for miles and miles.

Thank you.

I would it has another 200,000 left in it if not more.If its not supercharged the lower intakes are usually not an issue.It will need the coolant elbows replaced with the aluminum style and vc gaskets at some point I would do plugs and wires along with those two things at 75,000 or 100,000.Flush the dexcool out now in my opinion and service the trans at 50,000 you will have a good reliable car.

I disposed of my MILs 00 lesabre with 218k miles.

It had a typical lifestyle. Some coolant stuff was done to it, probably the infamous plastic "elbow" and the EGR pipe/ plastic manifold situation.

Started to rust at the lower rear doors. EVAP leak that wouldn't go away or get fixed. I did a couple window regulators-- used cheap chinese ebay replacements that were faster and better than the remaining originals. She smoked so the windows got extra use.

All in all, an average car. The MPG, power, and ride were good when it was new though.

I like love the thin A-pillars and great sight lines of this style car. Drive it a bit until the title comes in your name and see if it grows on you or not.

First, my condolences on your loss.

Second, while I suspect the car would work well enough for your needs, I'd skip. I mean, if I recall correctly your fleet is in good shape: and by the sounds of it, it has a lot of stuff you don't want. If you aren't in need of this, and wouldn't be in need of another vehicle any time in the near future, then why get something that you didn't really want in the first place?

Otherwise, sorry, I know nothing about GM's of that vintage.

It is nice and shiny looking. I'd be tempted too.

So sorry to hear this Donald. It is a nice car. Will last a long time with a bitoger's maintenance. If you don't want the old man buick image, black out the front grill and chrome, get white letter tires and a set of glass packs!

My mother, at 91, has a 2000 LeSabre Limited with 81000 miles. I have been taking care of the maintenance for ten years or so. It has always been in a garage and doesn't go out when there is snow or ice. It has been excellent since they bought it.

It has been on Valvoline 5w-30 dino since new. Just last week I changed to Pennzoil Ultimate. The tranny was serviced by the dealer at 31,000 miles. This month I am going to drop the pan, clean the magnets, and refill with Dextron VI.

I don't think we get anything near 30 mpg. Perhaps I need to look into that.

An oddity for me - the battery is located under the back seat. When it went dead a few years ago, I had a heck of a time until I got the owners manual out.

The power steering reservior is hidden behind the engine on the passenger side. Tough to get to for a fluid replacement. The cabin air filter is in the engine compartment and seems kind of awkward. I am not sure I have that installed properly.

The cruise control switch is out on hers. A new switch is due in tomorrow. Other than that, no failures come to mind with this vehicle.

It has been a great car for my parents, but when we no longer need it, my brother and I have already agreed to sell it.

Nice car but it will take a little preventive maintenance. Sorry for your loss.

The LIM gaskets are a big issue with this engine, i would put the new GM aluminum ones in it right away along with an upper plenum with revised EGR chimney and new style aluminum elbows. Fill with Coolguard II. Under $250 with coolant.

Do a pan drop and install a filter and accumulator kit as preventive maintenance then do a line off with Amsoil.
This kit has it all inc filter, reuse the OEM pan gasket.

All said and don a days work not more inc lunch break. Easy stuff that will pay in the end.
This is a nice car that will go forever with a little care, one of the best engines ever.

Sorry for your loss.

That is a NICE clean and rock solid Buick. It will ride better and get close to that Hyundai's mpg so I would jump out of that and into the Buick for sure! Upgrade!

First, sincere condolences.

Second, if you need a car, you wont find a better one then this! I was in car sales for about 7 years. Buick LeSabres always sold! Get a Limited, particularly a low mileage one, they sell like hot cakes! If i had that car on my lot, i would get over a dozen calls the first day!

The 3.8 engine is one of the top ten engines of the 20th century. A bullet proof engine capable of 30-32 MPG. Rides like driving your sofa down the highway.

As far as value, the ACV (actual cash value) is what the dealer would expect to pay for it at auction, which is "rough trade" per NADA book. The dealer can show someone more on trade, but they are basically hiding the value and/ or rebates on whatever you are purchasing. So if by book you are paying retail price, you are paying too much. I would pay no more than "average trade" or "clean trade" were i in your shoes.

Would give my left testicle to own that car. Should have 200k to 300k miles left in it. Good luck!

Im sorry to hear about your Mom as for that Buick that happens to be a great car and not expensive to fix.. With the proper maintenance you can easily get 300,000 miles out of that flush the cooling system and put in gold or green i never liked sex cool although i should love it being in the engine business...lol

That is a beautiful car i almost got one of them new for my mother but i decided on the Mercury Grand marquis but both cars are great

I'd take the Buick. My dad regularly gets 27mpg driving his 85mph back and forth to Atlanta. If you spend most of your time on the highway you will love it, in town it drives like a boat.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It has a lot of bells and whistles that I do not like. Heated seats, memory seats/mirrors, driver information center, auto headlights and wipers, etc.

Sorry for your loss. With respect to bells and whistles, my Audi and Town Car had some in which I had no interest. Remember, you really don't have to use them. If you don't use heated seats, and they happen not to work, you're not going to care anyway. I never bothered with auto headlights in my vehicles, even though Town Car had them, as does the G.

As for your height, you should be able to "sink" that seat pretty low and get it to where you like. That's the only thing I like about memory seats. Set the seat, have it memorized, and then don't worry when you have to play around with the adjustment for a non-driving related issue (i.e. cleaning). For leather seats, I prefer cloth, too, but I've gotten used to them. I simply don't worry about them. I keep cloth seats clean. I keep leather seats clean. As long as they keep me upright in front of the steering wheel, I'm not too concerned.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Old people and Buicks. I would become an instant cliché.

That ship sailed ages ago, Pop.
wink.gif

So sorry for your loss....

Dad used to build those cars. Gasket issue on that model year may have been changed depending on when it was built. Engine and trans will run for a long time. It's a good thing you are not going to use those options much on the car, as they tend to nickel and dime you (like most products of that vintage), but the tend to keep going and going...Keep the bottom of the doors clean as you can...they tend to rust there first....

Overall, a good car when cared for. The one place that car will beat your elantra is it is great on long trips....and that would be the reason I would keep it.

My neighbor owns a 2003 like that....been trouble free for them..

BTW, my MIL replaced her lesabre with a Lacrosse Hybrid-- what a freak show that car is! Terrible rear visibility, low friction tires, and when you let off the gas it "drags" due to the regeneration. She gets very low 30s for MPG which isn't much off from a good running lesabre. It also has a bunch more dazzling TV screens and other junk inside.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

For the car, I'd not worry about the old-person image of that generation Buick and drive the daylights out of it. Depending on gearing, that 3800 will return about 28-30 mpg (or better, based on experiences with my old LeSabre) highway. For a comfortable and reliable highway car, almost nothing beats a LeSabre.

Like Trav said, do the lower intake manifold gaskets instantly, and also flush out the old stuff from the transmission.

I am sorry for your loss.

As far as this car is concerned, I would take this in a second. Ditto the previous posts regarding the 3800 as one of the best engines GM ever made. Our Impala has one and I can say from experience it is rock solid. On rural highway driving, I get from 24-27mpg and yesterday's Father's day trip with my dad to Buffalo NY gave me 29.2mpg with 50% expressway driving do 65mph, for a 100 mile round trip.

The LeSabre should ride like a dream since our Impala is the sporty model with a bit firmer suspension. I replaced the upper/lower intake gaskets, plastic elbows and a water pump a few years ago at home and it was not bad, although I took my time. Agreed too that this has atleast 200-250,000 more miles in her if you want to take it that far. I'd do what Trav recommended with the transmission and enjoy.
Great cars.

At the very least, I'd keep it for a year to see if it grows on you. With that mileage, you aren't going to affect it's resale value, if driven reasonably during that timeframe.

Window regulators, beyond the Intake Gaskets, are what typically pops up during a Google search.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back