Mom In Bad Wreck, Needs New Vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
If they wired her sternum , she might not should drive for 8 weeks or so, depends on how it was fractured.

Naw, it was fractured. Didn't require surgery. I should have specified that.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
Hope she makes a full recovery. My vote would be for a new or low mileage Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V or Mazda CX5. In my opinion those are the best in class for the small SUVs.

Thanks for the well wishes. As far as those brands go, I think they're all probably great vehicles. My concern would just be that the resale on those brands is so good that she might not save all that much over a new one.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Staying busy within reason is good for getting better. Maybe spending some time showing her what's available and what you think would be a good choice would be the kind of distraction that is worth considering. It might be one of the things that helps to reduce her use of pain killers and that's a very good thing.

What happened to her means a painful recovery that's going to take some time. This is especially true if she's an active, independent person. The recover today pill has yet to appear. The crash itself is a scary thing. My wife was knocked through a guard rail and down over a bank at about 70 mph on the freeway. It set off all the airbags and chopped down a couple of 12x12 posts holding up the rail that she also took down. Your mother might need some time to deal with just the slam bang of the crash itself to say nothing of the injuries and the trip to the ER with the shiny lights and emergency vehicles. I hope her recovery goes well. Keep us updated.

Unbelievable. Is your wife OK now? I hope so! Thanks for the good advice. The woman lives to work and that's what she wants to get back to, as quickly as possible. She hates having to depend on others for rides, which I can understand. Thanks for the good advice.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Glad to hear she is doing better.

CX5 is my choice.

Thanks for the well wishes. Why do you say CX-5?

First off, best wishes to her recovery! Sounds like a strong, positive person that everyone should be more like.

From a pure safety standpoint, hard to beat a Land Rover, Jeep, Volvo or a full size SUV. But the Edge did its job well, so another one would be good I think.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
First off, best wishes to her recovery! Sounds like a strong, positive person that everyone should be more like.

From a pure safety standpoint, hard to beat a Land Rover, Jeep, Volvo or a full size SUV. But the Edge did its job well, so another one would be good I think.

It's interesting that you mention Land Rover, Jeep, Volvo. I'm not sure about Jeep, but don't Land Rovers and Volvos depreciate rather quickly?

Also, isn't it true that vehicles that are equipped more luxuriously, will tend to depreciate more dramatically?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Staying busy within reason is good for getting better. Maybe spending some time showing her what's available and what you think would be a good choice would be the kind of distraction that is worth considering. It might be one of the things that helps to reduce her use of pain killers and that's a very good thing.

What happened to her means a painful recovery that's going to take some time. This is especially true if she's an active, independent person. The recover today pill has yet to appear. The crash itself is a scary thing. My wife was knocked through a guard rail and down over a bank at about 70 mph on the freeway. It set off all the airbags and chopped down a couple of 12x12 posts holding up the rail that she also took down. Your mother might need some time to deal with just the slam bang of the crash itself to say nothing of the injuries and the trip to the ER with the shiny lights and emergency vehicles. I hope her recovery goes well. Keep us updated.

Unbelievable. Is your wife OK now? I hope so! Thanks for the good advice. The woman lives to work and that's what she wants to get back to, as quickly as possible. She hates having to depend on others for rides, which I can understand. Thanks for the good advice.

The car was a 96 850 Volvo turbo wagon. The car was destroyed from the front where she drove through the guard rail and down the drop to the road below, to the rear and left rear where she was hit by the pickup, evidently twice. She climbed out of the car without a scratch and took a precautionary ride with the fire department paramedics to the local ER. The police report said that she was going 70 in the slow lane of 5 lanes which was just running with the flow of traffic and the pickup was going 90+ and made no effort to brake or outmaneuver but was headed from the far left fast lane to the same off ramp. That Volvo did its job, gave it up for the driver.

I put her back in our other car the next day and she did fine. I was concerned that she might flinch at driving through that same ramp but she did just fine. Actually she's the one that insisted on going right back there to see the scene of the crash. In fact it was good the guard rail was there because it slowed her down enough to keep her from going airborne to the road below. She hit the guard rail and then slid down the bank and hit the road below. There are some big scars in the road marking her landing and about 20' of new guard rail and posts up at the top. If you know Escondido, California this was 15 north to 78 west going toward Oceanside.

Her's hoping your mom does well. My wife read than and wants your mom to know that her main job will be to continue to stay busy and try to be patient with the physical part of the recovery. She is now recovering from shoulder surgery because of a fall and is very impatient with the limitations and the slow recovery of strength and range of motion. She goes to PT every week and come [censored] or high water she does the exercises and ice, ice, ice. Say hi to your mom for us.
I've still got the grill insert and a piece of one of the 12x12 posts. It turned out to be a scary and expensive way to cut wood. She suffered no outward physical damage, just one big scary crash. She said that the only thing she remembers is how hard she was pushing on the brake pedal as she hit the guard rail and the noise like an explosion as he went through and the jolt at the bottom of the drop when the car came to a stop. She has no memory of the airbags going off and did not realize they did util she unfastened her seat belt. It's amazing that she was not hurt.

First, may your mom have a speedy recovery.
Second, all Subaru models score at or near the top in safety tests.
Third, make sure your mom follows doctors' orders regarding physical/occupational therapy. Really important.
I'm glad your mom is focused on her future(driving), this a healthy attitude and shows she is a inspired person.

Is she in a "must buy American" locale?

Just after buying my 2007 Volvo V70 base (my third) I saw a 2009 XC70 for sale at a local gas station. One owner, 3.2L I6, 46K, the owner is asking $14,500.
Safety is a key factor as she'll be more fragile now.

I see that you don't want certain models because they don't depreciate much and won't be a good deal. However, you don't want others because they might depreciate too much. You have to decide which thinking you want to adopt. I am in an F150 that hasn't depreciated much and it is tough to sell, as there is a lot of competition from new...

If you are looking for slightly used, you might as well go for the ones that have been hit hard with depreciation. You will get better options and be able to choose from a more expensive class of vehicle. The important first step is to decide what is the budget. Once that is set, you can triage what is available in that price range. If the car will be in possession for the foreseeable future, I would worry about modern safety options over anything else. Many of the recently released new models have great safety features that make driving safer, easier and more enjoyable.

I hope your mother has a speedy and full recovery.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Another Edge!

It does appear that the Edge did a good job of protecting its driver.
You can also buy a new one surprisingly cheaply, cheap enough that a used one wouldn't make much sense.

I'm glad your mom is okay. I wouldn't over complicate things. If she liked the Edge and it provided good service I would just get another one.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

It's interesting that you mention Land Rover, Jeep, Volvo. I'm not sure about Jeep, but don't Land Rovers and Volvos depreciate rather quickly?

Also, isn't it true that vehicles that are equipped more luxuriously, will tend to depreciate more dramatically?

I thought the convo was about safety. But yeah, the Euro stuff does depreciate quickly....awesome when you buy it 2-3 years old. Often the current body style for way less than new. Great deals to be had.
smile.gif
Jeep, probably about average for depreciation. Unless it's a Wrangler, those things will be 5 years old with 80k miles and be just 5 grand less than new almost.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I see that you don't want certain models because they don't depreciate much and won't be a good deal. However, you don't want others because they might depreciate too much. You have to decide which thinking you want to adopt. I am in an F150 that hasn't depreciated much and it is tough to sell, as there is a lot of competition from new...

If you are looking for slightly used, you might as well go for the ones that have been hit hard with depreciation. You will get better options and be able to choose from a more expensive class of vehicle. The important first step is to decide what is the budget. Once that is set, you can triage what is available in that price range. If the car will be in possession for the foreseeable future, I would worry about modern safety options over anything else. Many of the recently released new models have great safety features that make driving safer, easier and more enjoyable.

I hope your mother has a speedy and full recovery.

I think I didn't make myself clear. I expressed interest in models that depreciate quickly because, with those models, it's possible to get a lot of car for the $$$.

I'd mentioned Honda and Toyota in particular as being makes that it might not make a lot of sense to purchase used if only 1-3 years old because they wouldn't be all that much less than a new one.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I thought the convo was about safety. But yeah, the Euro stuff does depreciate quickly....awesome when you buy it 2-3 years old. Often the current body style for way less than new. Great deals to be had.
smile.gif
Jeep, probably about average for depreciation. Unless it's a Wrangler, those things will be 5 years old with 80k miles and be just 5 grand less than new almost.

Yes, her safety, going forward, is the primary concern. But that doesn't mean she can't get a lot for her $$$.

Do you service her vehicle or does she take it to an independent or a dealer?

Consider that if she takes it some place she likely has a person she trust, switching to something that that person cannot handle puts her back to square one with a service facility that is dependable and trust worthy.

I believe the 2017 Edge is 5 star rated by the IIHS, put me in the new edge camp if she liked it and it served her well... 18’s are probably not too far out, I bet you can get a deal on a new 17 or perhaps even a leftover 16.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Do you service her vehicle or does she take it to an independent or a dealer?

Consider that if she takes it some place she likely has a person she trust, switching to something that that person cannot handle puts her back to square one with a service facility that is dependable and trust worthy.

I believe the 2017 Edge is 5 star rated by the IIHS, put me in the new edge camp if she liked it and it served her well... 18’s are probably not too far out, I bet you can get a deal on a new 17 or perhaps even a leftover 16.

I have changed the oil on it before (big surprise there huh), but I live 3 hrs away, so, no, I don't service it and honestly I don't think she ever had to have a thing done to it other than tires and oil! It had less than 50,000 miles.

I think what the insurance co. offered her for it was a fair to better than average offer. Excellent condition KBB private seller is 9500 and they offered 11,000. But, she feels that they are not offering enough as far as hospital bills, so, she's retaining an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back