Confused!!! Wal-Mart FULL Synthetic or MC BLEND?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Expedition, 4.8 V-8, 4WD, 116K volunteer medical emergency vehicle.
We want Wal-Mart 5W-30 FULL Synthetic (5W-20 if they have it)
Ford wants Motorcraft 5W-20 BLEND .
Some here say Motorcraft Blend is not really synthetic, or very little synthetic.
What is best buy for the money?:
Wal-Mart FULL High mileage (75+K) vs Motorcraft BLEND, or other?
Sorry to bother you all. Thank you,
Robert

Walmart "full" synthetic is not a full as you think. I seem to be repeating myself. Can someone PLEASE post the full published physical characteristics of both oils?

Quote:

Some here say Motorcraft Blend is not really synthetic, or very little synthetic.

could you please point me towards that thread???

all-in-all, MC blend is a great oil.

Deja vou [Sp] all over again .As I posted before I would pick Motorcraft because of the higher aditive package. "I think" it has been a while.

Walmart synthetic. People need to start forgetting the walmart label and additive levels. Look at the uoa's the oils produce and let them do the talking. Don't get me wrong, MC is a very, very good oil. But if money is of no concern, i'd pick WM synthetic.

It's almost a toss-up. I've looked at both for a 2005 Ford spec'd for 5W20.

If I had to choose for 'myself', MC blend at $2.25 or ST synth at $2.97, I would pick the ST if it was available in 5W20 (not) and met Ford's -930 spec.

Given your at 116K miles, I assume your not under warranty, I would be inclined to consider the 5W30 depending on condition of the engine, ie. oil consumption.

If oil consumption is 'very' low I may go with 5W20. If not 'very' low I would consider 5W30 to reduce oil consumption.

As you can see we are starting to split hairs and you will need to make your own judgment based on history, observation, and price changes.

Ford chose Motorcraft over Walmart Supertech for it's vehicles.

What does that tell you?
stooges.gif

How does the Mobil 75000 Clean which is a synthetic blend as well compete with the ST and MC?

It might be a good oil for the Ford 4.6L V8.

It’s really difficult to discuss these 2 formulations, as neither has a product data sheet with finished oil specifications to compare.

And I think the real problem, here, is that the oil inside the bottle is being judged with the “marketing terms” on the outside label.

Both MC 5W-20 & Walmart Supertech 5W-30 have the “synthetic” term on the label, since anywhere from a significant portion to over 85% of the base oil content is above the magic 120VI index number.

But the base oils are identified with the 64742-54-7 CAS number, which indicates a group II+ process where the base oil batch spends more days in the hydor-isomerization catalyst process to lift the VI from high teens to the 125 range.

In effect, these base oils are more comparable to a high quality Grp II+ and do not have the performance characteristics of full chemical synthetic fluids as found in some of the M1, Amsoil, & Redline formulations.

If we switch the focus over to the additive side, my pick would be the MC 5W-20, with the 150 parts of boron as a secondary anti-wear additive. The Walmart 5W-30 syn formulation has no significant amounts of moly, boron or magnesium and appears to rely on the higher than normal levels of calcium to provide secondary anti-wear.

My choice would be the MC 5W-20 option. And the member, who posted a picture in a recent thread in the Automotive General forum, of the odometer in his patrol car turning over 200k miles, is just another indication of MC 5W-20 being a proven performer in law enforcement, emergency & municiple vehicles.

Quote:

Ford chose Motorcraft over Walmart Supertech for it's vehicles.

What does that tell you?
stooges.gif

It actaully tells me nothing. I guess since Ford chose MC for it's vehicles over every other oil made, then MC is now at the top of the list?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back