Motorcraft Full Synthetic

The late model Focuses..had a '15 model bought new used for daily driving got excellent mileage w/that smooth DI 2.0L . Never burned oil & sold it w/146k mis running very well. I regret sellin it now w/current gas prices! The dual clutch tranny in mine performed just fine. Most ppl didn't understand the workings of an auto dual clutch in my opinion. Still tons on rds!
I had a '15 Focus with the 2.0L DI I4 as well. The engine was great, got around 38 - 40 mpg highway, but the dual clutch transmission was absolute trash. I traded it back in at 35K miles after an abysmal transmission fluid UOA. The report indicated the DCT fluid had become extremely abrasive. Not all DCTs had this problem, but many of them did. I can't remember is Ford ended up settling the class action or if it's still going on.

Let us know how the MC full synthetic does on the UOA. I'm very curious! Heard good things bout it as said. I think it's made by ConocoPhillips.. as is the semi-synthetic oil. You just cannot beat a full synthetic even if it's Quaker State (owned by Shell Oil ) a lower- end full syn. I've had great success as said in all my Ecoboost (Gen1 & Gen2) equipped vehicles w/ Pennzoil Platinum & Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. UOAs on both came bk outstanding & i sent in @ 5kmis! That's longest i leave in my F150, '21 Bronco Sport & '20 Ranger truck. Motel is excellent but pricey an not necessary for 5k OCI. Amsoil just doesn't impress me. It's good. Not worth the trouble or price pt. Sorry Amsoil guys!
I've always had good results with PP and PUP. I have 3 OCIs worth of PP 5w-30 lined up for the Escape after this current run of Valvoline MaxLife is done. I'm just running the Valvoline because I had it sitting around at the shop and nothing else to put it in.

About the only reason I would use Motorcraft full synthetic is if I wanted to spend my FordPass points. You get about $200 worth with a new car purchase. So far I’ve only bought some coolant with it. Is it API SP rated now? Last time I saw a bottle it was still SN+. Probably a slow seller at the retail price point.

Last edited:
I had a '15 Focus with the 2.0L DI I4 as well. The engine was great, got around 38 - 40 mpg highway, but the dual clutch transmission was absolute trash. I traded it back in at 35K miles after an abysmal transmission fluid UOA. The report indicated the DCT fluid had become extremely abrasive. Not all DCTs had this problem, but many of them did. I can't remember is Ford ended up settling the class action or if it's still going on.
That's too bad to hear. I think Ford settled w/ ppl that had issues a few yrs ago. Guess I was lucky. Still it pales in comparison to what Hyundai/KIA goin thru w/fires & tons bad engines. Govt is bout to step in last I heard. Look into it. They haven't done that since Toyota got that 1bil fine 10yrs ago for the ghost in software or whatever. Then GM got whacked for something after that. Lost track now. All the majors have an issue now & then. None immune.

About the only reason I would use Motorcraft full synthetic is if I wanted to spend my FordPass points. You get about $200 worth with a new car purchase. So far I’ve only bought some coolant with it. Is it API SP rated now? Last time I saw a bottle it was still SN+. Probably a slow seller at the retail price point.
It's been API SP since that rating came out. I'm sure it doesn't move as much as other brands. As I've said in other threads, there isn't a whole MC offers over other brands, especially on price point. I don't expect to be using it again anytime soon.

That's too bad to hear. I think Ford settled w/ ppl that had issues a few yrs ago. Guess I was lucky. Still it pales in comparison to what Hyundai/KIA goin thru w/fires & tons bad engines. Govt is bout to step in last I heard. Look into it. They haven't done that since Toyota got that 1bil fine 10yrs ago for the ghost in software or whatever. Then GM got whacked for something after that. Lost track now. All the majors have an issue now & then. None immune.
I agree. Every auto manufacturer has had some major issues at some point or another. Funny thing though, it seems to me that issues affecting driving performance are almost always remembered more often and judged more harshly than safety problems like fires or airbags, or software problems.

This screenshot shows it has kept up to the latest standards and at the time of this advertising met the API SN Plus requirement. The next press release will probably confirm it meets API 6A and SP, making it totally current. Use with confidence.

View attachment 94214

That screenshot is old and is from their Motorcraft consumer site. ALL Motorcraft blends and Full Synthetic oils are SP-rated. Their blend is a rebranded version of Phillips 66's Shield blend. The Full Synthetic is rebranded Shield Valor. I use the FS 5W20 in my Fusion and in my experience, it runs just fine. The engine doesn't tell me whether or not it likes certain brands. Depending on the dealer, a case of 12 quarts of motorcraft full synthetic is about $80, at least around me that's the price after markup.

Source: I'm an industrial items supplier

Back