Motorcraft Full Synthetic

I posted the details of the story in the maintenance forum, but I was recently helping out an employee with her vehicle maintenance, including an oil change. She drives a 2016 Ford Fusion 2.5L. I basically just pointed her in a direction and gave her some resources, but the final decision on what was going to be used in/on her car would obviously be up to her. She made an interesting choice for the oil, and one that I had never really given any serious thought to. She wanted OEM everything, including oil and filter. She was also dead set on a full synthetic. That meant Motorcraft FS 5w-20. For me, this oil has always been way overpriced and on that point alone was never a serious option for me, so I never even gave the oil any thought at all. It just so happened that RockAuto was selling it for around $6/qt, which is not unreasonable for a FS, and she found the price point acceptable enough, so she went with it.

Does anyone here have any experience with any Motorcraft FS oils (of any viscosity grade)? I did a search in the UOA section and found only one thread on the 5w-30 version from a couple years ago. I'm actually considering just getting some myself and running one or two UOAs on it just out of curiosity.

Motorcraft full syn is likely an entry level synthetic Phillips 66 / Kendall oil, it'll work as well as any other store brand or entry level synthetic, personally I'd probably use Walmart's Super Tech or whatever name brand you can get on sale or with a rebate over Motorcraft based on cost and availability. Any Xw20 or Xw30 full syn will service the Duratec/Mazda-L engines fine they're port injected and pretty easy on oil, changed based on the OLM, you'll never notice the difference between any brand's full synthetic.

Motorcraft full syn is likely an entry level synthetic Phillips 66 / Kendall oil, it'll work as well as any other store brand or entry level synthetic, personally I'd probably use Walmart's Super Tech or whatever name brand you can get on sale or with a rebate over Motorcraft based on cost and availability. Any Xw20 or Xw30 full syn will service the Duratec/Mazda-L engines fine they're port injected and pretty easy on oil, changed based on the OLM, you'll never notice the difference between any brand's full synthetic.
I'd probably agree with that assessment. Strictly out of curiosity, I'm going to run the 5w-30 in the 2.0L EcoBoost in my sig line for 5K miles and do a UOA. I will also be running it in my fleet in another 2.5L Duratec and a 2.0L GDI (5w-20 at 7.5K miles for both of those) and see how those compare. I can get it at a decent enough price that I'm not worried about that.

This screenshot shows it has kept up to the latest standards and at the time of this advertising met the API SN Plus requirement. The next press release will probably confirm it meets API 6A and SP, making it totally current. Use with confidence.

9F7327F0-13CE-4BB7-A63C-D00C8EAB9786.jpg

I posted the details of the story in the maintenance forum, but I was recently helping out an employee with her vehicle maintenance, including an oil change. She drives a 2016 Ford Fusion 2.5L. I basically just pointed her in a direction and gave her some resources, but the final decision on what was going to be used in/on her car would obviously be up to her. She made an interesting choice for the oil, and one that I had never really given any serious thought to. She wanted OEM everything, including oil and filter. She was also dead set on a full synthetic. That meant Motorcraft FS 5w-20. For me, this oil has always been way overpriced and on that point alone was never a serious option for me, so I never even gave the oil any thought at all. It just so happened that RockAuto was selling it for around $6/qt, which is not unreasonable for a FS, and she found the price point acceptable enough, so she went with it.

Does anyone here have any experience with any Motorcraft FS oils (of any viscosity grade)? I did a search in the UOA section and found only one thread on the 5w-30 version from a couple years ago. I'm actually considering just getting some myself and running one or two UOAs on it just out of curiosity.

It's likely similar to other CP products like Kedall GT-1 Max / Redline Professional Series. You might look at some or the other CP products UOA to get some indication.

It's likely similar to other CP products like Kedall GT-1 Max / Redline Professional Series. You might look at some or the other CP products UOA to get some indication.
Thanks! That sounds like a good starting point.

I'd probably agree with that assessment. Strictly out of curiosity, I'm going to run the 5w-30 in the 2.0L EcoBoost in my sig line for 5K miles and do a UOA. I will also be running it in my fleet in another 2.5L Duratec and a 2.0L GDI (5w-20 at 7.5K miles for both of those) and see how those compare. I can get it at a decent enough price that I'm not worried about that.
My wifes 2.0 ecoboost was always good to the oil. It still came out honey brown colored when changed at $5k. If I knew then what I do now, I'd continue to push back the OCI until the oil started to appear "dirty" with a max oci of maybe 9k. Oil used was MC Semi syn 5w-20. Great car, great motor.

Two years ago I bought a 2011 F-150 3.5L EB with 156,000 miles. Truck had been dealer serviced with Motorcraft 5w-30 every 10,000 miles. Can't tell whether semi-syn or FS. Still going strong with no problems. Fingers crossed.

Two years ago I bought a 2011 F-150 3.5L EB with 156,000 miles. Truck had been dealer serviced with Motorcraft 5w-30 every 10,000 miles. Can't tell whether semi-syn or FS. Still going strong with no problems. Fingers crossed.

If they offered "The Works" package it would be Motorcraft (because that is a Ford Trademark and requires MC Oil). I believe doing business as a "Ford Quick Lane" also requires Motorcraft. The standard bulk 5W20 and 5W-30 is blend at all the Quicklanes I've delivered to. The CP Distributor supplies MC Bulk and the MC Parts Distributor supplies MC Bottled in my area. I'm uncertain if that's the same everywhere as it seems odd.

Last edited:
Here's a couple I found. I would definitely use their 5W30.

Are those SP GF-6 fornulation?

Thanks! I don't think I'd have a problem using either of those.

Its always supposedly been very good oil but hard to find..usually only @ford dealers! If you can get a good price on it by all means use it! The Motorcraft semi-synthetic has proven EXCELLENT in UOAs an purportedly beaten some full synthetic oils if that answers your question. Motorcraft filters are well rated as well ..made by Purolator to Ford strict specs. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in our newer Fords ('18 F150 & '21 Bronco Sport) w/Motorcraft filters.

Its always supposedly been very good oil but hard to find..usually only @ford dealers! If you can get a good price on it by all means use it! The Motorcraft semi-synthetic has proven EXCELLENT in UOAs an purportedly beaten some full synthetic oils if that answers your question. Motorcraft filters are well rated as well ..made by Purolator to Ford strict specs. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in our newer Fords ('18 F150 & '21 Bronco Sport) w/Motorcraft filters.
Heck of a coincidence that you posted this today. I literally just changed out the Motorcraft Full Synthetic I was running in my Escape and took a sample for a UOA. The MC synthetic blend is great for NA engines, but I have found every single TGDI engine I've run it in has cut its useful life in half. It's usually already out of grade by 5K miles. I just ran the full synthetic for a little over 6K and I'm curious to see how it held up. Oh, and it's readily available on Rock Auto most of the time for around $6 a quart.

Heck of a coincidence that you posted this today. I literally just changed out the Motorcraft Full Synthetic I was running in my Escape and took a sample for a UOA. The MC synthetic blend is great for NA engines, but I have found every single TGDI engine I've run it in has cut its useful life in half. It's usually already out of grade by 5K miles. I just ran the full synthetic for a little over 6K and I'm curious to see how it held up. Oh, and it's readily available on Rock Auto most of the time for around $6 a quart.
Let us know how the MC full synthetic does on the UOA. I'm very curious! Heard good things bout it as said. I think it's made by ConocoPhillips.. as is the semi-synthetic oil. You just cannot beat a full synthetic even if it's Quaker State (owned by Shell Oil ) a lower- end full syn. I've had great success as said in all my Ecoboost (Gen1 & Gen2) equipped vehicles w/ Pennzoil Platinum & Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. UOAs on both came bk outstanding & i sent in @ 5kmis! That's longest i leave in my F150, '21 Bronco Sport & '20 Ranger truck. Motel is excellent but pricey an not necessary for 5k OCI. Amsoil just doesn't impress me. It's good. Not worth the trouble or price pt. Sorry Amsoil guys!

At one time it was sold at Advance Auto and was more accessible in terms of price point as they did the bundle with filter thing. They clearanced it maybe 5-7 years ago and I recall a big run on it for a while. My current Focus probably used the full syn for the majority of the first 90K of its life and despite maybe being a bit abused a few months prior to my buying it, it seems to have done the job. I use little oil if anything practically speaking and I get great mileage in excess of the window sticker's EPA estimate at 117K...

I would use it in a heartbeat if there weren't so many great options at a better price point but I did buy up some on clearance for my mom's Fusion a while back at AAP...

Last edited:
At one time it was sold at Advance Auto and was more accessible in terms of price point as they did the bundle with filter thing. They clearanced it maybe 5-7 years ago and I recall a big run on it for a while. My current Focus probably used the full syn for the majority of the first 90K of its life and despite maybe being a bit abused a few months prior to my buying it, it seems to have done the job. I use little oil if anything practically speaking and I get great mileage in excess of the window sticker's EPA estimate at 117K...

I would use it in a heartbeat if there weren't so many great options at a better price point but I did buy up some on clearance for my mom's Fusion a while back at AAP...
The late model Focuses..had a '15 model bought new used for daily driving got excellent mileage w/that smooth DI 2.0L . Never burned oil & sold it w/146k mis running very well. I regret sellin it now w/current gas prices! The dual clutch tranny in mine performed just fine. Most ppl didn't understand the workings of an auto dual clutch in my opinion. Still tons on rds!

Back