2014 F150 5.0 Motorcraft Full Syn 5w20 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post although ive been reading the forum for months. My truck is about to clock 40k miles. The MC oil that was changed was ran the entire winter or about 6 months. Oil has 5300 miles on it. I remote start every morning and get the engine to operating temprature before driving usually. I ran e85 up until late november so i beleive this could be why the fuel dilution is high. When I changed oil i drained into a brand new oil pan so when i took the sample i shook the [censored] out of it and poured into the little blackstone cup. I put fresh Penzoil Platinum full syn 5w20 and a new motorcraft filter on. Im not looking for extended drain intervals, i would change my oil weekly if i could afford it. Anyway, thats a little breif history of my truck, look forward to getting to know you guys better and learning a thing or two.
[Linked Image]

20190327_170123.jpg

I don't want anyone to think there is reason to panic here; that's not the case. But the Fe wear is higher than what I'd expect to see. It is uncharacteristically high in Fe for 5k miles. It's not like this is break-in wear, approaching 40k miles, after all. 5ppm/1k miles is very high for the 5.0L from 2014 (pre DI engine). Typically these engines run around 2 or 3 ppm per 1k miles and I've seen some as low as 1+ppm. I suspect it's your "warm up" cycles. Believe it or not, letting the engine just sit and idle while cold prolongs the warm up, versus just starting it, and immediately driving it with a light foot. "Normal" driving is not hard on an engine, even when it's cold. What you're doing isn't "wrong", but it's not helping hold wear down. If you're warming the truck up so that the interior is warm and cozy to make you comfortable, that's just fine. But if you're warming the truck up in an attempt to reduce engine wear, well, the evidence suggests otherwise. The Coy motors have shown extremely good wear traits on even normal dino oils; you don't need syns to get good wear in this engine series. Go get a decent 5w-20 conventional lube; you don't need syns in IA.

PS - if you could afford to change oil every week, that would just hasten the engine wear. TONS of data shows that longer OCIs will actually lower your wear rates, even out to 15k miles.

FE wear? This leads to countless questions on my end. The way your talking id say motorcraft is garbage. Isnt thermal expansion is a factor at all?

Truck runs like a top. I start it and im usually getting in just in time as it idles down around 10 minutes depending on temperature. We have had sub zero temps for months, 5+ feet of snow, countless tons of salt. Im surprised its not worse than what it was.

You are reading way too much into how the lube/wear factors are playing out. The Fe wear is not a factor of "garbage" oil; it's a factor of your 10 minute warm-up cycles. Do NOT read into my comments any implication that the MC lube is "garbage"; that's a stretch far past where I stand on this.

Your engine is not at risk of implosion here; I already cautioned not to panic. I was simply noting that your warm up practices are causing higher than normal wear rates. These 5.0 Coy motors generally have fairly low wear; yours does not. There is a 9 qrt sump after all; it's taking a long time for oil to get warm with the process you're doing. Engines will actually warm up quicker when under load. High loads on cold engines is not a good thing. But light to moderate loads when cold are not only acceptable, but help warm the engine and fluids quicker. If you want lower wear rates, I'd recommend you just get into the truck after about 1 minute and then drive it gently until the temp gauge is at/near normal operating temps.

Your engine is not in danger; don't overthink this. Just realize that your regime is causing it to wear more so than others.

Last edited:
I agree the warm up time is contributing to the higher iron. Maybe try NOT warming up for 6 months and see what the next UOA shows.

YMMV, but I had a 2013 F150, same engine, and using Schaeffer 9000 5w-30 got only 16ppm iron over a 9,155 mile run.

Letting a cold engine idle for 10 mins to "warm up" is one of the worst things you can do to it. 30s to 1min, then drive gentle till warmed up. And warmed up does not mean when coolant temp first shoes "normal", it is when oil gets to operating temp, which is about twice as long as the coolant temp gauge showing normal.

Hi Gary. Nice to see you on here! I think that a 5w-30 would be better suited for your engine. Especially if you are running e85 in it. Nothing wrong with your report, wear is fine. But that oil isn't holding up for what it costs. These short intervals a conventional oil will work just fine. I'm doing that next change on my 2018 5.0. Changing to pyb 5w-30. It's cheap when it's on sale. Readily available and I can use it in many other things. I'm only getting 5-6k miles out of my oil life monitor. So a pricey synthetic just isn't being utilized really.

Ditch your warm up routine and I'm sure you will see better results even with a conventional oil.

Thanks guys. I will cut down on my excessive warm ups as it is getting warmer anyway. On top of the brutal winter weve had, I live on top of a very big hill and the temps and humidity are a little different so im battling frost every morning as well when most are not. As for using dino vs synthetic i wont be putting dino or a blend into my vehicle. Oil is cheap. I have studied on using 5w30 instead of 20. I think i have seen one of these forums about there being a better ap in 20 and not so much in 30? Also that the viscosity of 20 and 30 isnt all that different? What would be an overall pro vs con of using one or the other? Anyway, thanks again.

Gary you have the same bearings in your engine that the track pack mustangs have in theirs. And they use a 5w-50. So in reality these can use a wide range of oils. In other countries they are specified to use 5w-30 where they don't have cafe.

You are using e85 which can be hard on oil. As seen on your uoa viscosity has sheared some. Flash point is low. And tbn is getting down there. A 30 grade should give you a little extra cushion. I think you are getting a little more fuel dilution that they are reporting. Andnifs from ethanol. This doesn't seem to affect ford's bearing materials too much from what I've seen. Considering that this is a synthetic oil that you used it's not really impressive. Wear seems fine but personally I would like to see it a little more stout formula to handle the e85 and short run. Had you run this out to the recommendation of 10k it would not have been this good. It's not doing so well at just over half of the recommend interval. So a synthetic 30 grade as you don't plan to use conventional would give you some extra breathing room in my opinion.

Originally Posted by advocate
Hi Gary. Nice to see you on here! I think that a 5w-30 would be better suited for your engine. Especially if you are running e85 in it. Nothing wrong with your report, wear is fine. But that oil isn't holding up for what it costs. These short intervals a conventional oil will work just fine. I'm doing that next change on my 2018 5.0. Changing to pyb 5w-30. It's cheap when it's on sale. Readily available and I can use it in many other things. I'm only getting 5-6k miles out of my oil life monitor. So a pricey synthetic just isn't being utilized really.

Ditch your warm up routine and I'm sure you will see better results even with a conventional oil.

The oil is holding up fine if anything further proof "synthetic" is a marketing term today.

I don't think that I really said that conventional is better then synthetic. Nothing was crossed either. Not even my eyes. What I did state is that with his short intervals if he were to change his habits of longer warm ups (idle time) that a conventional would suit him just fine. He doesn't want to use a conventional oil as oil is cheap. But there is nothing spectacular with the motorcraft synthetic that he used for this interval. Again - in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back