Confused about Ideal Oil Visocities for Nissan VQ35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I am new to BITOG. I own a 2002 Nissan Altima with the VQ35DE since 56k original miles and now has 72,000 miles. The engine is in excellent condition, I bought it from the original owner who was an elderly lady who saved her receipts for everything. As a young car enthusiast, I have since done full bolt ons and a tune to wake the car up. It is my daily driver.

I have been using Mobil 1 5W30 and changing it every 3,000 miles. From the factory they recommend 5W30, or 10W30 and 10W40 if ambient temperature is a bit warmer.

I live in Metro Detroit, so we have cold winters and hot summers. Because I drive fairly spirited (never abused, but I definitely do WOT at times and do some minor auto crossing, I am a bit worried that I should go thicker. Also, VQ35DE engines are known to be slightly thirsty for oil, plus they tend to run a bit hot from what I've heard (I have ordered an aluminum Mishimoto radiator to help).. so my question is, since Nissan's general fecommensarion is 5W30 but also put 10W30 and 10W40 as OK in the owners manual, wouldn't 5W40 technically be the best option even though it isn't stated in the owners manual? It would be a little thicker at warm temperatures offering better protection and less likely to shear down under spirited driving, but still have the thin 5 weight for cold starts in the winter. I'm told that many cars recommended visocities from the factory have to do with fuel economy also, which I don't care about. I want the best overall viscosity for a a balance of protection and performance, efficiency doesn't matter.

My second question is, depending on what viscosity you recommend, what brand and model of oil should I go with? I'm sort of picky about staying on top of changing oil so I like to keep a 3,000 mile interval. Mobil 1 seems to have its lovers and haters, as well as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and AMSOIL Signature, I'm just not sure which is best for me because people seem to be so opinionated on oil. Also, because I'm almost to 75,000 miles and have an older car would it be better to go with a "high mileage" type of oil?

Any input and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Any 5W30 synthetic will be fine, but a Euro Spec 5W40 synthetic would be even nicer - if you don't mind paying a bit more. If the engine leaks, then High Milage oil might help, otherwise it is not needed.

welcome2.gif

A lot of people with that engine like a heavier 30, such as Castrol Edge 0w30 or a HDEO 5w30 such as Rotella T6

HM oil is fine too
smile.gif

0W-40 is pretty popular with this engine. I'd suspect 5W-40 isn't referenced in the manual as it might not have existed (at least been common) in 2001.

If you're changing it at 3000 miles, I wouldn't give any concern about brands or types of oil as long as it meets the spec (API SL or SM ?) including conventional. I'd use Walmart's Supertech since you're changing it so often. You can safely go longer too. I have a VQ35HR and Nissan says 3750 for severe service or 7500 for regular service. I doubt the DE is much different.

Originally Posted by VQAndrew
Because I drive fairly spirited (never abused, but I definitely do WOT at times and do some minor auto crossing, I am a bit worried that I should go thicker.

Let us postulate that when autocrossing, that the engine oil temperature gets up to 180ºF before you start.
Let us further postulate that the oil becomes "too thin" at 280ºF.

I think hat it is VERY unlikely that you could raise the oil temperature by 100ºF in the 1-2 minutes of a run.

I'd be going 5000 to 7000 mile oil changes on that Altima if using full synthetic oil.

I had the same engine in my old 02 Infiniti. UOAs show these engines like 40wt oils. My car really purred with M1 0w40, Castrol Edge 5w40 and VML 10w40. I did ~7000 mile OCIs.

Hey all, I am new to BITOG. I own a 2002 Nissan Altima with the VQ35DE since 56k original miles and now has 72,000 miles. The engine is in excellent condition, I bought it from the original owner who was an elderly lady who saved her receipts for everything. As a young car enthusiast, I have since done full bolt ons and a tune to wake the car up. It is my daily driver.

I have been using Mobil 1 5W30 and changing it every 3,000 miles. From the factory they recommend 5W30, or 10W30 and 10W40 if ambient temperature is a bit warmer.

I live in Metro Detroit, so we have cold winters and hot summers. Because I drive fairly spirited (never abused, but I definitely do WOT at times and do some minor auto crossing, I am a bit worried that I should go thicker. Also, VQ35DE engines are known to be slightly thirsty for oil, plus they tend to run a bit hot from what I've heard (I have ordered an aluminum Mishimoto radiator to help).. so my question is, since Nissan's general fecommensarion is 5W30 but also put 10W30 and 10W40 as OK in the owners manual, wouldn't 5W40 technically be the best option even though it isn't stated in the owners manual? It would be a little thicker at warm temperatures offering better protection and less likely to shear down under spirited driving, but still have the thin 5 weight for cold starts in the winter. I'm told that many cars recommended visocities from the factory have to do with fuel economy also, which I don't care about. I want the best overall viscosity for a a balance of protection and performance, efficiency doesn't matter.

My second question is, depending on what viscosity you recommend, what brand and model of oil should I go with? I'm sort of picky about staying on top of changing oil so I like to keep a 3,000 mile interval. Mobil 1 seems to have its lovers and haters, as well as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and AMSOIL Signature, I'm just not sure which is best for me because people seem to be so opinionated on oil. Also, because I'm almost to 75,000 miles and have an older car would it be better to go with a "high mileage" type of oil?

Well I have a VQ 3.5 K motor that I purchased with 39,990 miles... That motor now has 292,000+ miles on it....

So over 250,000+ miles I have put on this VQ motor...

I have run 25+ different oils in my Nissan Altima VQ 3.5 L.

The best oils I have run it have been...

Pennzoil Ultra 5w30

Castrol EP hold bottle 5w30

Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic 5w30

Havoline Pro DS 5w30

Mobil Super 5w30

Havoline high mileage 5w30

Warren Distribution full synthetic 5w30

I don't believe there's any real need for a 0w40 unless your are tracking this car... Or your mods have introduced a lot of fuel dilution in the oil... Outside of those two possibilities... You can run a 5w30 and it will be all right.

I run my car a bit hard a decent amount of the time up to 6k rpm. But it still runs really well and quiet to this day....

300,000 is not far away for my motor...

Last edited:
Sounds like a good candidate for M1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40. Either is easy to get, and both use high-quality base oils in order to protect well from heat during heavy use, as well as flow well in very low temps. And they meet some pretty high standards set by some of the Euro OEMs, which are very demanding. But they're available on the shelf at Walmart.

Another good choice would be Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30. It's a thicker 30W with HTHS of 3.5. So, it'll flow extremely well in very cold temps, but also protect very well for higher speed driving that you'll put it through. It's just not as easy to find as the other 2 I mentioned, and it's more expensive.

Is your Altima a stick? I was always partial to those Altimas with the 240-HP V6 and 6-speed. I think they were called the SE-R. Cool cars.

What does "light" auto crossing mean ??

If doing that means prolonged high rpm and high oil temps ... Yeah I agree with the other guys about running Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40...
But how often are you doing that ?? I'd almost consider running a "track day oil" for just those days... Like a Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40... Then after that day at the track was done... Drain that oil out and put the 5w30 back in.... IF that is something you do rather infrequently... Like say once every 2-3 months at the track... Or if it was even less often than that.

And if the modifications equate to fuel dilution in the oil... The again... Yeah a 0w40 would certainly be a good idea.

However if that is not happening in regards to fuel dilution in the oil... Then a 5w30 full synthetic is just fine.

The engine is irrelevant - viscosity is dictated by climate, to find the correct viscosity for your climate you need to Google 'oil viscosity climate chart' and you will be able to choose the correct viscosity.

Oil brand and marketing is where you can pick and choose the 'best', but your climate dictates your viscosity requirements.

0w is good at -35c, do you ever see -35c temps? - 10w is good at -20c, do you ever see -20c temps?

viscosity is a function of temperature, so your climate decides your oil - I dont know if you're in Alaska or Alabama but I''d bet that a 10w40 would be the closest match for your climate.

Detroit gets to like, what, -10c in the winter? Tracking in the summer should not get too hot unless you have inadequate oil-cooling..

Maxlife 10w40 is thin enough for cold starts in winter and thick enough for track days in summer - and its cheap and its good. Maxlife 10w40 is the winner here.

0W40 and OEM filters summer........ 0/5W30 winter

If you are insisting on 3000 mile oci, the 5w30 is fine.
The 3.5 with its long timing chains, is known to shear the oil down to thinner viscosities with mileage. Like a 5w30 may be sheared down to a 5w20 after 5000 miles.
In 3000 miles, any decent synthetic should still be in it original viscosity.

My wife has a 2011 Quest with a 3.5, I have used Amsoil signature 0w40 changed at 7500 miles. Just rolled 100k miles last week, engine uses no oil, runs smooth and quiet, and looks spotless inside looking through the filler cap.

If you're adament about doing 3k ocis than just about any full syn Xw30 is gonna be fine. (dilution changes things but if it's an issue bump up the grade). You could try ProDs 5w30, it's a thicker 30 at 11cSt and VI of 170. Readily available in the 6qt box too for just $19. Which should be helpful since you're changing the oil out every 3k miles.

Or, you could look at Delo XSP 5w30 and euro 5w40. The 5w30 has a VI of 165, a 100c 12.1cSt (about as thick as you can get without being a 40), HTHS of 3.5 and TBN of 10. I really like these 2 oils...but they're not cheap, cost wise.. and I'm admittedly a cheapskate....‚..so I just daydream about them. Lol

Chevron runs rebates unlike some other brands (Castrol), so if you keep an eye out you could stock up for less.

Honestly, don't worry about it too much. The VQ V6s are some of the best V6 engines ever made and they have given many, many miles of problem free service over the lifespan of that engine (which is a long one) even using quick-e-lube oils and filters.

Just get a regular 5W-30 synthetic off the shelf and change it when Nissan recommends. It will be fine.

How would Castrol Edge 5W40 do vs. Rotella T6 5W40 with a 3k Mile oil change interval? Rotella seems to be praised in the Subaru forums but stirs up controversial opinions on this site.
Is it worth considering a 10W40 or would 5W40 going to be safer since our area can constantly be 0, 10, 20* farhenheit during the worst part of winter. However, in summers we can easily see high 90's low 100's degrees F. After all, since both are a 40 weight, I don't think 10W would have ANY benefit no matter what temp?

Most of the Amsoil SIgnature Series users tend to be doing huge OCI's which I don't like to do and don't want to spend $65 for 5 quarts of Amsoil when Rotella and Edge 5W40 are about 30 bucks for 5 quarts. Just want to make sure whatever I get can hold up to more frequent high-revving than the average consumer.

How would Castrol Edge 5W40 do vs. Rotella T6 5W40 with a 3k Mile oil change interval? Rotella seems to be praised in the Subaru forums but stirs up controversial opinions on this site.
Is it worth considering a 10W40 or would 5W40 going to be safer since our area can constantly be 0, 10, 20* farhenheit during the worst part of winter. However, in summers we can easily see high 90's low 100's degrees F. After all, since both are a 40 weight, I don't think 10W would have ANY benefit no matter what temp?

Most of the Amsoil SIgnature Series users tend to be doing huge OCI's which I don't like to do and don't want to spend $65 for 5 quarts of Amsoil when Rotella and Edge 5W40 are about 30 bucks for 5 quarts. Just want to make sure whatever I get can hold up to more frequent high-revving than the average consumer.

A 10W-40 (all things being equal) would probably have a better Noack volatility score than a 5W-40. Again, all things equal. 10W-40 is not a common viscosity among synthetic oils anymore. In fact, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back