Concern about Valvoline DOT 3 & 4 Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think it is a good cautionary message.

This particular author may have some knowledge of failures resulting from the higher dot fluids being used in classic cars requiring DOT 3, just a theory.

Many brake fluids are now rated DOT 3 and 4, so I would say in modern cars after say 1988, it may not be an issue.

My 1996 VW came with DOT 4 and says to use DOT 4. Is it OK to use a combined DOT 3/4 fluid?

I don't know anywhere near what Mola does, antiqueshell, but I'd stick with a DOT 4 for the VW. You can usually find it priced very similarly to the DOT 3 stuff anyhow. And, it is much easier to find these days. Even a couple years ago when I had the Audi, I had a bear of a time finding DOT 4, aside from motorcycle shops, speed/import shops, and a couple parts stores. Now, Walmart and Canadian Tire have it all over the shelves.

For the Audi, I got stuck having to buy ATE or something expensive like that. Now, there are many brands of DOT 4 up here. I'd be more concerned about switching to DOT 3/4 in a DOT 4 vehicle, rather than upgrading a DOT 3 vehicle.

I use Valvoline Dot 3-4 fluid in most of my cars from the 1940's to the early 1970's with no problems. Use it with confidence. I just switched my '63 Chrysler over to it this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back