Competition to the Genesis Coupe 2.0T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never looked at that car before because I thought it was too expensive for my budget, and then, while checking on the new Sonata: Wow, that could be fun!!

So now, I am in the phase of comparing this car with its closest competition, but I have a hard time finding any. Here are my criteria:
- RWD and manual (for the fun part),
- Average good mileage (listed at 22/27 which is about the lowest I want to go),
- Priced below US$23,000 (in CAD$, that means below CAD$25,000),
- Bluetooth would be really nice as hand free driving is mandatory in Quebec now.

What I really like about the Genesis Coupe is that the Base model (2.0T) has everything I am looking for my next car, no need to get the premium package to get what I want and have to pay a big increase in price (base price is made to attract attention).

What could be the competition to this car?

Maintenance wise, what are the differences compared to a FWD car as I never own a RWD car?

I still have to check if it will be easy for my daughter to seat in the rear seat, but if that works OK, it could be a nice mid-life crisis car for a way too calm man in his early 40s (feeling his crisis building up inside him). What do you think of this car in general?

Last thing to Hyundai owners: Do you know a really nice forum on Hyundai cars and on the Genesis Coupe in particular? Right now, I am really lucky having a so nice forum for my Rogue and I may miss them if I change car.

Thanks for any help/advice you could provide.

The problem with the Mustang is that the fuel economy is not that great: At least 1 liter/100kms more than the Genesis which is already the limit high for me. No point for me to get this car if this is to get same or worse mileage than my current car.

Other problem: the financing. I can have from 1.9% to 3.4% (for 84 mo) with Hyundai where I can only get 6-7% with Ford. Does not give the same monthly payments at the end (double the amount to pay each month).

Any other cars?

Ursae_Majoris, thanks for the links, I will check them. Are you on them too?

My daughter just bought a Genesis coupe 3.8 track.She got it for 28k,we looked at lots of cars in this price class but this one seems to have the best bang for the buck.Build quality and performance is excellent.I too am looking at this for myself as i hate retro looking stuff,if i wanted a nice car from yesteryear i would buy and restore an original head turner.

Have you considered a V6 Camaro? It gets 17/29 mpg. A little lower in the city but better on the highway with 304hp.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Ursae_Majoris, thanks for the links, I will check them. Are you on them too?

Unfortunately, no. When I was looking for a replacement for my Taco, I really wanted a used Hyundai Elantra 5-door. While I was looking, I did a lot of reading about Hyundai, so I still had those links.

Could not find one, so I settled on Elantra's cousin 4-door Kia Spectra.

So far I have been impressed with Hyundai/Kia's quality, and the car is very DIY friendly, as far oil and transmission fluid changes.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/08/14/test-drive-2010-hyundai-genesis-coupe-20t.htm

A link to my other favorite car website :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
New Mustang V6, Fusion Sport, maybe the Chrysler 300C.

It what world does a 300C compete with a Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

Originally Posted By: silverrat
New Mustang V6, Fusion Sport, maybe the Chrysler 300C.

It what world does a 300C compete with a Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

Not to mention a FWD Ford Fusion...

Oh here we are with the FWD thing again...

He asked for RWD and manual trans.

So now, I am in the phase of comparing this car with its closest competition, but I have a hard time finding any. Here are my criteria:
- Average good mileage (listed at 22/27 which is about the lowest I want to go),
- Bluetooth would be really nice as hand free driving is mandatory in Quebec now.

2007 BMW 328i coupe.

MPG figures are a little off though.

I 2nd Pete's choice :)
(despite a lot less HP than the Genesis)

Also: if you're not looking for brand new, 1998-2001 Lexus SC400/SC300 coupe also fit the criteria. (kinda hard to find anymore, and probably no blue tooth, but one can always get a headunit that's blue tooth equipped, or a GPS unit)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Oh here we are with the FWD thing again...

He asked for RWD and manual trans.

Whoops...
33.gif
Guess I should have read a little more carefully....

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I 2nd Pete's choice :)
(despite a lot less HP than the Genesis)

Hmm...

Genesis 2.0T: 210 HP; 223 lb-ft torque
328i: 230 HP; 210 lb-ft torque

If I was going to buy a reasonable RWD MT vehicle that is not a convertible (I have my eye on a 135i convertible as a commuter car), I'd look at the Lexus IS.

No car that Ive seen at auto shows over the last number of years has as high-quality a feel to it. In the secondary market they are probably overpriced, but at some age point you can find one that is within the budget.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

2007 BMW 328i coupe.

MPG figures are a little off though.

A used 328i will meet all his criteria, including MPG. It gets 22 city / 31 highway in real world driving (ignore the EPA estimates). If he wants a manual tranny, he can find a 2008 for $23k. Manuals sell for a big discount on the used market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back