Compatible aftermarket Mazda Skyactiv Turbo filters?

Can anyone confirm any aftermarket oil filters that do indeed work with Skyactiv turbo engines? Lots of speculation on multiple online forum the past several years without any real results/experience. Most stick with the OEM turbo specific filters to avoid issues and guarantee compatibility. Apparently Mazda even has a service bulletin out from a few years ago to specifically not use the regular NA oil filters on turbo models. The biggest issue is see right now are that a lot of aftermarket companies currently have their same part number oil filters listed as compatible with both NA and turbo models while OEM still lists specific oil filters for their respective engine setups.

What I do know is that the filters physically fit both NA and turbo models but have yet to confirm with any source if theyvare truely compatible. Has anyone confirmed that aftermarket listings are compatible with the turbo models when before they were only listed for NA (turbo models didn't exist until 2018 but still use the same engines). If anyone has experience or knowledge of this, please do post up.

I don’t know if any aftermarket filters for the turbo Skyactiv yet. The OEM filters are reasonably priced.

Mazda does make a specific point regarding these filters so I would go by their statement.

If any OEM issues a warning not to use certain aftermarket products in certain circumstances or some maintenance items not being interchangeable across different applications, take it seriously. Enough said.

I've been using Fram Ulta filters, oversize 7317 for a couple of years now. No problems
ever. Filters better than the stock filters and is bigger to boot.
The two current Mazda filters look identical. Country of origin is different between the two.
My 2¢

First video is the NA filter, the second is the Turbo filter.

Last edited:
I've been using Fram Ulta filters, oversize 7317 for a couple of years now. No problems
The two current Mazda filters look identical. Country of origin is different between the two.
My 2¢

Random but is there a way to edit posts through the mobile page? My **** phone keeps lagging when I type so there's broken English and I need to update about turbo models not existing before 2016 instead of 2018. Message from Mazda about turbo only filters on the photos here.

Attachments

• f1f3cb3958127f965796047e08f0394e.jpg
    f1f3cb3958127f965796047e08f0394e.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20230127_232740.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_232740.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 101
If any OEM issues a warning not to use certain aftermarket products in certain circumstances or some maintenance items not being interchangeable across different applications, take it seriously. Enough said.
I'm aware of that but my question is regarding aftermarket oil filter compatibility. Sometimes OEM doesn't update their listing and always want the consumer to buy their brands and vice versa for aftermarket but sometimes they too have something that works. I find it hard to believe that a brand like Mazda that is trying to appeal to the masses the past several years is going to make things like basic maintenance to be proprietary. WIX was the first 3rd party to make a specific Skyactiv filter.

My 2¢

Which turbo model are you running? I knowbthe 2021 CX-5 had issues with oil consumption and has been addressed but lots of repair parts are on backorder. I've always seen this video before but reading some info awhile back Mazda claimed that their "turbo specific" filters had a higher flow rate and they do indeed look the same, design wise.

...... I find it hard to believe that a brand like Mazda that is trying to appeal to the masses the past several years is going to make things like basic maintenance to be proprietary....
Topic resurrected rather recently, including the linked pics of the two different Mazda filters and what 'appears' to be some sort of tsb, from some source. Link to my .02 on the topic with primary point being, if Mazda requires a specific OEM "high flow" oil filter only, then they(Mazda) 'must' pay for it under the MM warranty act.

Topic resurrected rather recently, including the linked pics of the two different Mazda filters and what 'appears' to be some sort of tsb, from some source. Link to my .02 on the topic with primary point being, if Mazda requires a specific OEM "high flow" oil filter only, then they(Mazda) 'must' pay for it under the MM warranty act.

Whenever I get my filters at the dealer they are particular to ask me if this is the turbo or the naturally aspirated engine.

Whenever I get my filters at the dealer they are particular to ask me if this is the turbo or the naturally aspirated engine.
Irrelevant to the point made, and purpose of reply specifically to the OP of this thread. "IF" Mazda requires a specific OEM filter ONLY be used, then Mazda must by law, pay for that filter. Just because Mazda appears to have two separate filters for their catalog, doesn't change the preface for aftermarket filter use applications.

And anecdotally in this thread we have a member successfully using an aftermarket XG7317 in place of the Mazda OEM. Also, "if" I'm reading the same member's response correctly, appears to be claiming with possible exception of coo, both Mazda OEM filters are the same.

Since post quoted, I'd now add what at end of my reply in that link....."Personally, count 'me' as skeptical about the "high flow" oil filter. 'To me' reads like something to get owners to buy the specific Mazda OEM oil filter only."

Irrelevant to the point made, and purpose of reply specifically to the OP of this thread. "IF" Mazda requires a specific OEM filter ONLY be used, then Mazda must by law, pay for that filter. Just because Mazda appears to have two separate filters for their catalog, doesn't change the preface for aftermarket filter use applications.

And anecdotally in this thread we have a member successfully using an aftermarket XG7317 in place of the Mazda OEM. Also, "if" I'm reading the same member's response correctly, appears to be claiming with possible exception of coo, both Mazda OEM filters are the same.

Since post quoted, I'd now add what at end of my reply in that link....."Personally, count 'me' as skeptical about the "high flow" oil filter. 'To me' reads like something to get owners to buy the specific Mazda OEM oil filter only."

Okay.

First oil change I did I used the mobil 1 M1-108A filter. After that I just went to the dealer and picked up (3) 1WPY14302 Mazda filters as that lasts me 18 months. If the stock ones were crazy priced I might continue researching more aftermarket but think they were $6-$7 something so I'll continue using the Mazda filter as cheap enough to not have to worry especially considering under warranty. (2021 Grand Touring Reserve Turbo 8225 Miles)

Which turbo model are you running? I knowbthe 2021 CX-5 had issues with oil consumption and has been addressed but lots of repair parts are on backorder. I've always seen this video before but reading some info awhile back Mazda claimed that their "turbo specific" filters had a higher flow rate and they do indeed look the same, design wise.
IF "High Flow" was in fact a factor, the SuperTech 7317 (either one) would 'outflow' either Mazda filter.
The Champ Labs design that Wal-mart uses has that plastic cage and plenty of inlet holes flows great.
Add in that that size filter is oversize, which would flow even better.

My 2¢

I'm interested in this as well. Fram shows the same filter for NA and Turbo.

How do you get the OEM filter for free?

Late response but yeah I noticed that awhile back too. I'm not sure if FRAM indeed tested or just defaulted and saying that since it technically fits, it'll work on either both N/A or turbo setups.

I'm interested in this as well. Fram shows the same filter for NA and Turbo.

How do you get the OEM filter for free?

Late response but yeah I noticed that awhile back too. I'm not sure if FRAM indeed tested or just defaulted and saying that since it technically fits, it'll work on either both N/A or turbo d
First oil change I did I used the mobil 1 M1-108A filter. After that I just went to the dealer and picked up (3) 1WPY14302 Mazda filters as that lasts me 18 months. If the stock ones were crazy priced I might continue researching more aftermarket but think they were $6-$7 something so I'll continue using the Mazda filter as cheap enough to not have to worry especially considering under warranty. (2021 Grand Touring Reserve Turbo 8225 Miles)
I'm assuming you ran into no issues running that Mobil 1 filters on your turbo setup? I know on my previous '17 Mazda 6 Touring N/A I ran a Supertech filter with no issues. Being that I own a '22 CX-5 Turbo now, I wanted to see if anyone had luck running other aftermarket filters with their Skyactiv turbo vehicles. I live in Hawaii now so everything is retarded expensive and 90% has to get shipped out here so most of the time the savings you'd normally get ordering in the mainland is now gone being out here. Hell, my local dealer wanted like $20 per turbo compatible oil filter.

I'm assuming you ran into no issues running that Mobil 1 filters on your turbo setup? I know on my previous '17 Mazda 6 Touring N/A I ran a Supertech filter with no issues. Being that I own a '22 CX-5 Turbo now, I wanted to see if anyone had luck running other aftermarket filters with their Skyactiv turbo vehicles. I live in Hawaii now so everything is retarded expensive and 90% has to get shipped out here so most of the time the savings you'd normally get ordering in the mainland is now gone being out here. Hell, my local dealer wanted like $20 per turbo compatible oil filter.
No issues with the Mobil M1-108A. Dealer like 5-10 minutes away so I just stick with the 1WPY14302 Mazda filters now as I only put a few k miles on every 6 months so I change the oil at 6 months even if I've only put on 2-3k miles as mostly stop/go driving. If I was more highway I'd go 5k miles. I buy 4 at a time and I'm good for 2 years.

Take this with a grain of salt but I was just in my local Mazda dealer a few weeks ago picking up a few filters because my son's 3 and the wifes CX5 were both due oil changes... I know the service manager there, and I asked him why the turbos use a different filter. He said the bypass springs are different, other than that they were the same. He said if it never goes into bypass the engine would never know the difference between the two and even if it did go into bypass the only difference would be, would the oil be filtered or not. His reasoning was, if it never bypasses, then the engine never knows the difference, and if it is bypassing, then the owner is being neglectful of maintenance or the engine has a major issue with a bearing or whatever coming apart and they are going to have a bigger problems to deal with anyway more than just using the wrong filter. They have a different bypass rating, and therefore get a different part number.

He also pointed out the aftermarket uses the same filter for both turbo and non and they werent seeing problems from it.

This anecdote is worth exactly what you paid for it, but I found it interesting to hear from someone who would actually know why they use different filters.

Back