Compact cars of 1969 ...

Commercials .

Like the color of the SCAMP below .

SCAMP + RAMPAGE pickup . Worth a look . Very informative . Still applies today .

Last edited:
I know the Scamp came in a GT package but I’m trying to recall if there was a Sport?

The Swinger fits in their somewhere.

I just read and watched a youtube video on engineering explained how the US calculater mpg is inherently inaccurate. Most of the world uses the fuel efficency calculation of litersper 100 km, which is a much more accurate method of calculating real fuel efficency. I highly recommend you watch the video, and make sure you are up on your math skills.

Compact late 1960s/early/mid 1970s?

golf-r17-1600-gt-fulvia-classic-cars-01.jpg

golf-r17-1600-gt-fulvia-classic-cars-02.jpg

golf-r17-1600-gt-fulvia-classic-cars-03.jpg

golf-r17-1600-gt-fulvia-classic-cars-05.jpg

bmw-1600-ti-1967-03.jpg

vw-golf-gti-1976-04.jpg

vw-golf-gti-1976-05.jpg

vw-golf-gti-1976-01.jpg

alfa-romeo-giulia-gt-1972-04.jpg

alfa-romeo-giulia-gt-1972-02.jpg

alfa-romeo-giulia-gt-1972-01.jpg

lancia-fulvia-1969-02.jpg

I just read and watched a youtube video on engineering explained how the US calculater mpg is inherently inaccurate. Most of the world uses the fuel efficency calculation of litersper 100 km, which is a much more accurate method of calculating real fuel efficency. I highly recommend you watch the video, and make sure you are up on your math skills.
How is it inaccurate? They are basically reciprocals. The only issue is that got going from 10 mpg to 11 mpg is a bigger improvement than going from 40 mpg to 41 mpg.

if you want to figure out the cost to drive 852 miles you will need a calculator regardless of the measurement method (or just be good at math).

I know the Scamp came in a GT package but I’m trying to recall if there was a Sport?

The Swinger fits in their somewhere.
The Dart Swinger first came out in '69 as a sporty/economy level trim package on the two door hardtop. The hipo 340 V8 was available in 1969-70. Lightweight, and with optional gearing and 7" slicks, they could crack the 13s in the quarter mile at around 100 mph.

In 1971, the Swinger became the name for the Dodge 2 door hardtop A-Body. Plymouth introduced the Scamp, only on 2 door hardtops, as a corporate twin. No performance engine options existed, as the 340 went to the Dodge Demon and Plymouth Duster semi-fastbacks. The 340 could be ordered in the Duster for 1970 model year. With the exception of the Demon being re-named the Dart Sport for 1973, and the 360 replacing the 340 in the middle of the 1973 model year, this was the lineup until the end of the A-Bodies in 1976. An exception to this were some 1971-72 Swinger 340 dealer specials made for a couple of Canadian dealers. A few dozen were made and are sought by collectors today.

I had my A-Body out each of the last two days. I calculated the gas mileage to be just over 11 mpg. With much full throttle action, that's pretty decent.

I'll go a few years earlier and take a '65 Rambler American with trunnion front suspension, flathead inline six engine, three-on-the-tree transmission, and vacuum windshield wipers. These were still all over the place in '69.

60689100-770-0@2X.jpg

I never had a Rampage/Scamp truck but, I did own a Charger/Turismo('84 Turismo 2.2) hatchback and loved it. We owned it for 17 years and ~178K miles. But the car literally fell apart. You know the saying? "I'll drive it til the wheels fall off!" Well, the car actually broke/rotted in half.

It was our first FWD/4 cyl car and (one of) the best and worst cars I've ever owned. I loved driving it and it was a wonderful handling car in the corners with the 195-60-14 tires. But man, did it ever ride hard and was a loud car.

It was one of the best winter cars I've ever owned(without being AWD) with regular all season tires and the heater would choke ya but, didn't have AC for the summer. So, I put in a cheap pop-up sunroof which could also be removed & stored. But that was a PITA.

The engine started every single day(2bbl carb) and always ran rough but, it started. And I've never in my life worked on a vehicle so much in my entire life. So many things broke multiple times but, it was an easy & cheap car to fix. I could fix something in the morning and be gone out with the family for the rest of the day.

So, it was a great car to drive but needed repairs all the time. Almost like, FIX IT AGAIN TONY.

While the 1960's 'compact' cars were anything but compact, they were very basic cars. We had a Dodge Dart with the six and a number of six cylinder Mustangs. I recall rain storms killing the ignition and carburetor ice problems! But one thing people forget is that with few exceptions, the engines had good mid range torque and the cars could climb long hills at the speed limit. Something that could not be said for the crop of 1.3-1.5L economy cars that the Japanese started selling here in the 70's and 80's.

We replaced our "crummy" 60's and 70's American cars with that era's Japanese stuff. They were fun to drive, reliable and well built, but unable to go more than about 40 up long highway hills. Eventually, that became intolerable, despite the great MPG.

It is easy to forget just how much better today's cars are, when compared to affordable offerings back then.

We had a 1984 Civic 5 speed with the 1.3L 60HP engine. It was pathetic.

1984-honda-civic-pic-2580-640x480.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a 69 Fiat 850 sport coupe new. It had 11 to 1 Compression,2 barrel carb 4 speed manual. It averaged 41 mpg. It ran good and handled good.

One thing everyone overlooks is modern cars are pigs, with all the extras. A Fusion can weigh 1000 pounds more than some 69 Novas.

We had a 1984 Civic 5 speed with the 1.3L 60HP engine. It was pathetic.
We had an '83 with the same engine and trans. It was a special "FE" model, which meant Fuel Efficient. In other words, the smallest engine with a 5-speed, when most of their lesser models came with a 4-speed. I think the 5th gear was extra tall.... We once measured 63 MPG on a long highway road trip, but of course this was back in the days of the 55 MPH speed limit. But yes, it truly was a car that had trouble getting out of its own way. Leaving a toll booth, for example, it was in danger of being run over by the semi that was behind it in line. Peppy in town though, 0 to about 25 MPH.

those were "compact"....
to put them in to today's sizes...
most are some where between a 2nd Gen (2013+) Ford Fusion( Classified as "midsize") and a 5/6 gen(2008+) Taurus( Classified as "FullSize") with a similar wheelbase.
Fusion -
Length:191.7"
Wheelbase: 112.2"
Base Engine: 2.5l I4, 175HP

Taurus -
Length: 201.8"/202.9"
Wheelbase: 112.7"/112.9"
Base Engine: 3.5l V6, 263-288HP

the 60's "compacts"
Lengths: 181"-195"
Wheelbases: 106"-111"
You can buy this today: