Cold wave in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas knows better than the rest of the country and runs water above ground through unheated, uninsulated areas using drop downs which is illegal in the rest of the country in normal residential builds.

In my area you can’t insure a home setup the way a normal Texas home is.

It wouldn’t take “much” for Texas to correct the law for future builds, only 2 other states are as lax on common sense building code.

That said shutting off the water and cracking any taps should allow any pressure to release and will prevent a waterfall from the ceiling, not as good as draining but far better than leaving the water on from the street.

Turning the water heater off usually isn’t too tough either.
Houston is full of companies that repair cracked and shifted foundations … I‘m fine with lines in the attic - never failed in decades of home ownership …
It's not supposed to but it does indicate the regional differences between the highly expansive vs moderately expansive clay soils.

As you can see Texas is covered with highly expansive clay soils in various concentrations unlike the eastern seaboard. Texas builders aren't going to perform a geotech report on every lot just to see whether that particular lot out of a parcel of X number of lots can handle an in-ground basement.

In any case aside from expansive clay soils, Texas also has shallow bedrock and/or high water tables. Two other reasons why basements aren't built.

View attachment 131906

Wind down to 3.74GW now, lol.
MISO has a nice roller coaster curve going right now, can’t recall ever seeing it do that before.

But hey, we’re using 74.8% of the installed wind capacity! 😉
A9EA9179-8CC7-4103-A6F2-B2CFF9451781.jpg
2D92AA84-F6EA-492C-BE49-6E1846DF6D9C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved down to Texas 10 years ago from Buffalo NY.

Man its winter everywhere. Tough to escape it in the continental US.

Our new house here has a lennox gas furnace that works pretty well but at 17 degrees its darn cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back