Cold front coming

Just came in from blowing snow the winds a bit sharp.
Screenshot_20221223_081946_WeatherBug.jpg

This thread reminded me of my Dad in the early 1970s during a very cold wave. He would get up every two hours and start the car, with the goal of the engine never getting too cold.

Got down to -4 here in Western KY and we got an inch of snow. Feels like 22 below in the wind. Day at the beach in Siberia.

Yeah the plumbing is easy. Cold is the pain. Getting some insulation on the 1/2" pipe coming out and down behind the heat pump was pretty tight.
Is that a typical set-up for a softener there to drain outside? Never seen that before. Mine just goes into a floor drain in the utility room.

Is that a typical set-up for a softener there to drain outside? Never seen that before. Mine just goes into a floor drain in the utility room.
My softener (KCl) and de-sulfur (air oxidizer) units are typical resin bead beds that need flush and recharge - the joint flush pipe comes out from my water corner there, through the wall and to ground drain (shared with a couple gutters on that side)

Gutter downspout for front part of garage was frozen solid as an ash baseball bat. Tried whacking it to no avail but hit it with the heat gun seems to have it flowing.

Air temp is 28°F but water now running off roof.

Gutter downspout for front part of garage was frozen solid as an ash baseball bat. Tried whacking it to no avail but hit it with the heat gun seems to have it flowing.

Air temp is 28°F but water now running off roof.

I’ll trade you our 0F weather and 2” ssnow we have

It's ~30°F here, getting down to 13°F at 6 am tomorrow.

I spent about 2 hours yesterday cleaning out the goats' stall, putting down fresh straw and pine shavings, made sure the sides were sealed from the wind, and turned on the heat lamp. They don't seem to be too bothered by it though. Right now, with 30°F temp and wind gusting hard, they're just walking around and eating grass. Such a simple life.

My softener (KCl) and de-sulfur (air oxidizer) units are typical resin bead beds that need flush and recharge - the joint flush pipe comes out from my water corner there, through the wall and to ground drain (shared with a couple gutters on that side)
That’s interesting and certainly no worse than my system. My system uses NaCl and is flushing chlorides in my septic tank and field which flow through the gravel into the Kootenay River, then the Columbia River and then into the Pacific Ocean which is probably the same ultimate destination as yours.

That’s interesting and certainly no worse than my system. My system uses NaCl and is flushing chlorides in my septic tank and field which flow through the gravel into the Kootenay River, then the Columbia River and then into the Pacific Ocean which is probably the same ultimate destination as yours.
I guess not much difference if in the septic flow or not. Maybe less taxing on the system per 100 years hahaha crap I just worry eventually when these drains plug up

Back