Cold cranking amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can two identically sized batteries have different cold cranking amps? I need a new battery for my Honda atv. Yuasa offers two batteries. Both are identical I size. The standard battery offers 200 cca while the high performance battery offers 240 cca.

What factor would account for the extra 40 cca?
Which battery would have the longest theoretical life?

It can be done with more/thinner plates, which exposes more plate surface area to the electrolyte. However, that comes with the tradeoff that thinner plates tend to wear faster after recharging and/or can eventually short/fail.

For the climate I'm in, more CCA isn't necessarily better. A lot of the factory original batteries I've seen are relatively low CCA rated and in my experience can last a long time. For a Honda OEM application (51 or 51R), the factory battery is usually rated at 400-425 CCA, but nearly all aftermarket batteries are 450-500 CCA. That might be a good idea for someone with really cold winters, but OEM CCA specifications are usually adequate for mild climates and even weekend trips to snow country.

Thinner plates have more surface area for the chemical reaction that makes power.

Thicker plates take vibration better, important for ATVs.

Motorcycle/ ATV batteries aren't well made and get beaten on mercilessly. Consider a premium AGM.

Originally Posted by pburchett

The standard battery offers 200 cca while the high performance battery offers 240 cca.

What factor would account for the extra 40 cca?
Which battery would have the longest theoretical life?

Those are a joke my Toyota Corolla has 700 CCA. Those Honda's almost look like motorcycle batteries.

The difference is likely the number of plates in the battery.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Those are a joke my Toyota Corolla has 700 CCA. Those Honda's almost look like motorcycle batteries.

They are ATV batteries, not car batteries.

What model? Lowe's has several Deka AGM batteries that might work for your application. Their prices are cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. You'd have to order one and pick up at a store though. When I ordered a car battery from Lowe's, I ordered on the first of the month, and the battery had a date code for the same month. The only hassle was that they couldn't accept the core, and I had to contact Lowe's corporate before the store manager refunded the core fee and told me to properly dispose of it.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=deka

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

They are ATV batteries, not car batteries.

Yes but it would work just fine if the engine was in good condition and it didn't get too cold. Have a 180cca motorcycle battery in a car with a similar engine. You only need 2 seconds of cranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back