Coasting to a stop vs down shifting to a stop in manual transmissions

As do most of us I suppose...like you when I drive the stick we have I don't think about what I'm doing too often...I just do it.
Correct, it becomes second nature, like walking. Something you just do with putting little thought into it.

Sorry, the brake pad thing is not really relevant. REV matching always, been driving sticks in many countries and always down shifted with double clutch, done it 56 years !! couldn't change, muscle memory !! BTW changed one clutch in that entire time, and that was on a car i bought used
99% of the drivers out there have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I still DD a manual BMW. I’m not downshifting that. I coast all the time. Got about 160k out of the original clutch. The last thing I need is to wear another thing out. The Dual Mass Flywheel alone is almost $1k and a wear item. I’ll replace the brakes 5x if I have to.
Doesn’t the DMF wear when rpm changes? I had one wear out but the clutch was just fine.

You know, whatever I do/how I drive a stick must work - had sevearl and never had a new clutch. My record is the MK4/'00 Jetta we bought new with the 2.0/5-speed. Sold after 14 years/220K on original clutch, second owner drove it to about 300K I believe and that was still the OG clutch. I'm not changing anything I do! Just drove my Focus - 115K on it and clutch feels great.

I never downshift to a stop, serves no purpose at all to me. Wears me out, wears the clutch, wears the synchros. Engine braking is not a valid argument to me, i'd be much happier replacing brake pads once in a while rather than a clutch.

I had forgotten about this thread! It's been a few years....

I am reminded of the "how to" videos where the guy filming the video shows how to verify it is in neutral - by violently shaking the stick like it's a can of paint!

I never downshift to a stop, serves no purpose at all to me. Wears me out, wears the clutch, wears the synchros. Engine braking is not a valid argument to me, i'd be much happier replacing brake pads once in a while rather than a clutch.
But bro...how will everyone know you drive a manual if you don't? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It's illegal and an instant fail on a driving test.

Can't say I've really thought about it. If I'm loaded heavy, I'm depending on engine braking to help not smoke the brakes. Not that I'm downshifting every gear.

Plus it can be tough to find a gear if you just coasted... aka "Georgia Overdrive"

Last edited:
It's illegal and an instant fail on a driving test.

Can't say I've really thought about it. If I'm loaded heavy, I'm depending on engine braking to help not smoke the brakes. Not that I'm downshifting every gear.

Plus it can be tough to find a gear if you just coasted... aka "Georgia Overdrive"
In a passenger car? So I can't push teh clutch in and coast to a stop, I HAVE to have clutch out/in gear? Come on man, never heard of that in my life.

In a passenger car? So I can't push teh clutch in and coast to a stop, I HAVE to have clutch out/in gear? Come on man, never heard of that in my life.
Coasting is technically illegal in many states including the state I live in, but I have never heard of that law being enforced and I don't see how it possibly could be.

And yes, some amount of coasting is required no matter how you drive. Think about it, you coast for a second every time you shift. And even if you downshift through every gear every time you slow down, you will still have to coast once you get to the bottom of 1st gear.

Correct. Obviously coasting a few feet as you creep to the light isn't what that law is for.

Like I said, I've never really thought of it. Just the same I don't think of what I'm doing when running equipment, I just do it.
Probably thinking about lunch or the hottie at Lowes or why dogs spin in circles to poop or why there's a 7 page thread with "experts" on driving 🤣🤣

So now that we are talking about this....I have this memory of my dad telling me it was illegal to coast....as in down a hill in N like in the mountains b/c in the old days it would net you more mpg (in an auto)....the intent would be that, not how you bring a manual vehicle to a stop at a light. The idea would be in an emergency you can't go immediately to power. In a stick, I always push the clutch in as I drop speed but typically drop it in second once slowed enough to be able let out the clutch and go to power.

Last edited:
So now that we are talking about this....I have this memory of my dad telling me it was illegal to coast....as in down a hill in N like in the mountains b/c in the old days it would net you more mpg....the intent would be that, not how you bring a manual vehicle to a stop at a light. The idea would be in an emergency you can't go immediately to power. In a stick, I always push the clutch in as I drop speed but typically drop it in second once slowed enough to be able let out the clutch and go to power.
Also, back in the early days of automobiles when those anti-coasting laws were enacted, if you rode the brakes down a steep section of road in your 3 ton Packard with undersized drum brakes, the brakes would cook and fade to nothing. While that can still happen with modern cars, it's less of a problem as brakes are a lot better today.

You are right and they are wrong, period. It's that simple.

Perhaps some 60 years ago when cars had tiny drum brakes. It only makes some sense today on a steep
decline. Don't miss we're talking about city driving and traffic lights, not spirited driving in the mountains.

It was also to avoid engine stalling with the vehicle moving, removing power steering and brake boost (in short order but not immediately). If the lights turn green again you'd be in gear to go, just put food on the gas.

It's good practice to downshift but not the end of the world and certainly not worth getting worked up about.

Back