Coasting to a stop vs down shifting to a stop in manual transmissions

Also, back in the early days of automobiles when those anti-coasting laws were enacted, if you rode the brakes down a steep section of road in your 3 ton Packard with undersized drum brakes, the brakes would cook and fade to nothing.
And go far enough back, those brakes were mechanical and/or non-self-adjusting. Before most of our times I am sure.

Check some rear brake discs on some of the recently made, say, from 2018 till now, HYBRID or EV's. Last one I looked at down here at the grocery store was rusted solid! I'd have to venture that is a result of coasting or downshifting. And much more pronounced in hybrids due to the regenerative braking effect.
Not that you're ever going to stop "fully" by downshifting.
Anyway, it's all nonsense. Brakes are made for stopping, clutches are made for shifting gears. How you use them and enjoy your driving style is more important.

I never down shift to slow down, but instead leave it in whatever gear it's in while lightly braking (most of the time vs hard braking) until the RPM is around 1500 to 1200, then pop it into neutral and brake to a stop. It's just added wear on the clutch and throw-out brearing if I down shifted as much as I up shifted. I'd rather change brake pads instead of a clutch.

I've never worn out brake pads any faster on a manual vs an automatic, which really doesn't compression brake much. How I drive my manual car is probably less stress on the brake pads than on a typical automatic.
This is exactly what I do when driving a manual (if it's a car I own, that would only be my Saturn SL). If I'm on a main road and get up over 45 mph or so, I usually shift into 5th gear. If I see a light turn red up ahead, I'll leave it in 5th gear, or whatever gear I'm already in, and coast up to the light as much as possible depending on the traffic in front of me. I'll let it get down to 1200 rpm's or so and then shift into neutral when I get close to the light or the vehicle in front of me and then brake the rest of the way. I try to downshift as little as possible unless I'm on a steep downgrade. I think the PCM on the Saturn actually shuts off the injectors when no throttle is applied and the car is in gear (i.e., one's foot is taken off the gas) so very little to no fuel is being consumed during that time. That would slightly improve gas mileage over simply putting the car in neutral and letting it coast, because then the engine would need to idle.

This is exactly what I do when driving a manual (if it's a car I own, that would only be my Saturn SL). If I'm on a main road and get up over 45 mph or so, I usually shift into 5th gear. If I see a light turn red up ahead, I'll leave it in 5th gear, or whatever gear I'm already in, and coast up to the light as much as possible depending on the traffic in front of me. I'll let it get down to 1200 rpm's or so and then shift into neutral when I get close to the light or the vehicle in front of me and then brake the rest of the way. I try to downshift as little as possible unless I'm on a steep downgrade. I think the PCM on the Saturn actually shuts off the injectors when no throttle is applied and the car is in gear (i.e., one's foot is taken off the gas) so very little to no fuel is being consumed during that time. That would slightly improve gas mileage over simply putting the car in neutral and letting it coast, because then the engine would need to idle.
Basically what I do but I drop it in second (clutch in) as I get slowed down if I think I may go...same basic idea. Rev-match downshifting to every light has no purpose but to make sure everyone knows how rad you are for driving a stick.

Dunno. I'm used to equipment and trucks so I guess it's different for drivers that only run small stuff.

On the water tanker I ran last summer, it was heating the brakes even with me running gears and engine brake.
Tank would overflow when filling and wet the drive brakes and steam up the place.

Also, back in the early days of automobiles when those anti-coasting laws were enacted, if you rode the brakes down a steep section of road in your 3 ton Packard with undersized drum brakes, the brakes would cook and fade to nothing. While that can still happen with modern cars, it's less of a problem as brakes are a lot better today.
Have you ever seen Packard Brakes? The drums are 14” in diameter. I have to get them turned at a shop that handles trucks. Ordinary brake lathes are too small.

Have you ever seen Packard Brakes? The drums are 14” in diameter. I have to get them turned at a shop that handles trucks. Ordinary brake lathes are too small.
No I haven't, actually. I just picked one of the makes with the largest cars from the 20s and 30s.

Off topic, but is your Packard pre-hydraulic?

Last edited:
No I haven't, actually. I just picked one of the makes with the largest cars from the 20s and 30s.
I’ll take a picture when I’m next down in the shop. I have a spare set. The car weighs about 4,500 lbs. The brakes are massive.

A similar vintage Ford Model A had drum brakes about 8” across, but just like an AMG of today, Packard brakes were much bigger than those of ordinary cars.

Now, adjusting a set of Bendix 3 shoe brakes from that era was an art, but once properly adjusted, they were quite effective. The 3 shoe design lent mechanical power assistance well before vacuum boosters and hydraulics were common. The design is quite clever.

I downshift all the time and finally had to change the clutch on my Accent at 188k miles. The clutch disc was barely worn but the throw out bearing was worn where it ride on the shaft. The grease dried out and it got where it would not shift when hot due to binding.

So the wearing out he clutch thing due to downshifting is a myth.

None of it really matters as far as wear and tear. People like to worry about silly stuff sometimes.

But as far as coasting vs downshifting it depends on the situation. If I know I will come to a stop, I usually coast, but if the traffic is slowing down, or the situation on the road seems unpredictable in some way, I downshift to be in a proper gear.

Clutch wear happens only when your foot is on the clutch pedal, pressing or releasing or resting your foot on it (ugh). Otherwise the plates are engaged and there is no movement of the friction parts.
About deceleration, for city driving (45 MPH or less) I get off the accelerator and let engine compression (and brakes if needed) slow the vehicle until idle speed is achieved and then glide the shifter into neutral without any need to touch the clutch pedal. Super easy.
From highway speeds, I will do the same thing but include one downshift to either 4th or 3rd halfway through the decel process. I might do a rev match depending on my mood LOL.

I’d rather replace pads-shoes and be easier on my engine, clutch, and drivetrain. You’ve got wear going on the backside of gears when downshifting. Engine tends to pull more oil in the cylinders under high vacuum also. My opinion.

I’d rather replace pads-shoes and be easier on my engine, clutch, and drivetrain. You’ve got wear going on the backside of gears when downshifting. Engine tends to pull more oil in the cylinders under high vacuum also. My opinion.

What would be different between front and back of the gears? If they have no trouble being loaded on one side there will be no trouble on the other.

As far as engine vacuum and pulling the oil, that only happens when the rings are stuck/partially stuck. If they are free, the extra vacuum helps to pull the rings in the opposite direction, and that in turn helps them to stay free and sealing properly.

What would be different between front and back of the gears? If they have no trouble being loaded on one side there will be no trouble on the other.

As far as engine vacuum and pulling the oil, that only happens when the rings are stuck/partially stuck. If they are free, the extra vacuum helps to pull the rings in the opposite direction, and that in turn helps them to stay free and sealing properly.
Exactly my thoughts as well. I engine brake every time I slow down on all 3 of my manual cars (two Civics and an Acura Legend) and it doesn't seem to affect my oil consumption at all. My worst oil burner (the 05 Civic) burns about a quart every 6K miles whether I engine brake or not. I don't engine brake overly aggressively though, usually only to about 3-4K RPM if that.

I can see how regular engine braking would help keep the rings free though. I remember reading at least one thread on here several years ago about engines in manual transmission cars generally outlasting the same engines in automatic cars and one of the main theories was that the engine braking helped keep the rings free. I'll see if I can find that thread

Edit: I found one of them. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...when-connected-to-manual-transmissions.52828/

What’s your favorite pattern when replacing carrier bearings using the existing ring and pinion? How do you keep your roller bearings in the cluster gear when reassembling a manual transmission? Are you evaluating both piston skirt sides and not just the trust side during an engine overhaul? Do you know why I’m asking these questions?

Deceleration in a manual using engine compression for breaking would be very little pressure opposed to what the cluster gear would see on cruising or moderate acceleration. Just like on a R&P gearset. The thrust surface always shows more wear than the coast side, by a large margin.

To me downshifting every time only adds excessive wear to syncros (especially 2nd gear) and wear on clutch. I downshift instead of riding breaks on a long downhill if I need to reduce speed. However usually just stay in gear and slow to just above idle RPM, using the brakes if needed.

This is a first generation (28 spline) Ford 9" and a late 70s Ford toploader overdrive I rebuilt a few years ago.

20190330_214655.jpg

20190330_214723.jpg

20220520_070429.jpg

20210207_163829.jpg

Back