Coast Guard Chooses Glock

i’m a revolver guy but the uscg’s selection of a glock 9mm pistol is quite the endorsement given this service’s harsh operating environments and non-deep pockets.

They're certainly good firearms but what happened to 'buy American'?

I'm with you. I don't see any inherent flaws with the SW M&P that would tend to exclude it from military service.

I bet if they would have checked with S&W, they probably would even have come up with a "marine" version with enhanced anti-corrosion features.

I'm with you. I don't see any inherent flaws with the SW M&P that would tend to exclude it from military service.

I bet if they would have checked with S&W, they probably would even have come up with a "marine" version with enhanced anti-corrosion features.

Ruger tried that with the Ruger American Pistol and got no love from the military, and the civilian version has been a slow seller. Navy just replaced their Beretta pistols with the Sig M18. The last time S&W had a military sidearm in the game was pre-WWII. Mossberg still leads with military shotguns for the moment, but the Marines have transitioned to Benelli.

I’m not certain which Glocks are made in the US, but a few models are made here. The Glock 19 is a solid choice for the mission.

Other Federal Agencies, like the FBI, CBP, and Air Marshals (part of DHS) have selected their G19 as their primary sidearm, so the USCG is simply following suit, not breaking new acquisition ground.

I’m surmising that part of this decision is to standardize contracts across agencies within Homeland Security. CPB uses the same platform.

Wow, the US Coast Guard buying German guns, more or less calling American guns inferior, nice.

German?

Glock is an Austrian company with a huge US presence and US manufacturing. In fact, US sales, particularly to police/LE, are what pushed Glock to the top of sales charts globally. It’s a fascinating story in marketing and engineering.

If you’d like to read more about it, I recommend the book, “Glock: The Rise of America’s Gun” by Paul Barrett.

But, German?

No...

Wow, the US Coast Guard buying German guns, more or less calling American guns inferior, nice.
In what way? It's a global economy so they are free to choose whatever they want. It's also government contracting: get the best product you can at the cheapest price. Just because a certain product is chosen does not mean it's the 'best'. It means it's the best product they could get for the amount of money they were willing to spend.

I dont disagree, if it is the cheapest price and best product..^^
I am saying this because when it comes to national security, weapons and granted handguns aren't a "weapon". We cant allow forgiven countries to put American weapon makers out of business or we would be dependent on them putting our security at risk.
Just explaining my thought process, seems weird US Government supplying the US Coast Guard with German Guns, again, not a national security risk, its just a handgun..
Oops, Glock is Austrian sorry I said German, still, US companies lost out, cant compete. Doesnt matter if they are made here, profits and control go to Austria.

Last edited:
I am saying this because when it comes to national security, weapons and granted handguns aren't a "weapon". We cant allow forgiven countries to put American weapon makers out of business or we would be dependent on them putting our security at risk.

This, along with mining and other critical industries specifically targeted by "specific groups"- don't ever think this is a random occurrence or accident. Its a long game focused Manchurian strategy.

Very nice choice for the USCG!! I had only 3 issued choices (for watches) when I was in the Navy. Either the M16, 1911 Colt in "cocked and locked" position or Remington 870 Wingmaster. Depending on captain and duty station, you could also have your personal hand carry during watches. It was kind of a pain to check it in and out of the armory but worth it. I actually learned to love and adore the Wingmaster on watches. I had the sling setup on me to swing and fire as quickly as most guys with a sidearm.

IMHO, the Glock is going to be a lot safer and simpler to handle. Not to mention stealth. I never felt I had enough training even with all the trips to the range to handle a 45. It was just too spooky to carry safely with one in the chamber and hammer back. There was hell to pay if the OOD saw you were carrying a 45 in the hammer down position.

In a combat situation you can safely carry it chambered and just squeeze the trigger of a Glock.

Back