Clopay Wants Me to Wax My Garage Doors.........

I just had two Clopay residential modern steel insulated garage doors installed.

The installer instructed me on lubricating the hinges and the springs every 4-6 months, but said nothing about the exterior.

In registering the doors online to activate the warranty, I was reading through the paperwork included with the doors and noticed it said in order to maintain the warranty, the exterior should be washed and waxed every six months.

The door(s) have the primer and paint baked on when they are manufactured, so obviously this is to protect the paint warranty on the door.

The instructions say to use a mild dishwashing detergent to wash the doors, then apply a liquid automotive wax (italics are mine) to the door(s).

Being a fan of Menzerna Power Lock, I e-mailed them and asked if a quality automotive paint sealant can be used in lieu of a wax.

“Nope! We have not tested our paint system using an automotive paint sealer. Please use a liquid wax.”

At that point I didn’t bother to ask whether I could apply the Collinite 845S by hand or if using a PC 7424 XP with a finishing pad would be acceptable.

I’m wondering how many new garage door owners actually know about this warranty requirement let alone actually wax their door(s)?

At least I don’t have to clay it! 🙂
I would use the same wax my wife uses on her legs, or better yet, the same flavored wax we tried last Saturday night.

Clopay is basically telling you they had some known issue with the paint primer/prep and expect you as the consumer to make that right in order for the warranty to still be in effect, which isn't the way it works. Typically, any action that is considered "out of the ordinary" or "unreasonable" .and this one sure counts.....is considered invalid and not enough of a reason to invalidate a warranty claim. Especially since the warranty which would presumably be invalidated would cover those aspects not affected by a wash and wax. Furthermore, any requirements not considered "reasonable" and specifically relating to the entire functioning of the product (and not just a cosmetic component) would need to be disclosed BEFORE purchase.

Back