Cleaning Windshield and Windows

:LOL:who ever used the funnies to wipe glass but I suppose if my response is going to get critiqued that's a good one. :cool:?
Prim really dude there are still 10 of thousands of newspaper subscribers in the USA today.:cautious:
For many, many years, we used newspapers and Coca-Cola to clean our windshields. It was, along with Glass Wax, the best way to get the glass spotless. Never the comics, though, just the regular B&W sheets.

Sweetie still subscribes to the local paper, and we both enjoy reading it.

Gunk brand foam window cleaner and a scotch brite or equivalent scrub pad. Great on dried bug juice.
Sorry my northern friend, but say No to any scotch bright please... You may use ultra fine steel wool if you wish, but even that is not the best way.

I'm surprised at everyone. Home depot razor blades and the cheapest white vinegar you can buy. You can mix the vinegar 50/50 in a spray bottle with water if you wish and use a new fresh razor blade on about a 20/25 degree angle. It will not scratch ANY glass, I promise. I have been doing it for 35 years.

Come back with a dry towel couple minutes after you used the vinegar and water and wipe the haze off when its dry really easy. I've cleaned alot of glass. Don't try and do it with 1 rag or towel, or all right at the same time. Use only 1 towel for finish work or streak removal.

Vinegar and a clay bar works for water spots on the paint also, but NO razor blade on the paint, YOU know what will happen!

Thanks, everyone. You've given me quite a bit to think about. I learned a few things ... (y)

I use Invisible Glass with microfiber towels. The trick to no streaks is to remember "less is more". I apply a small amount of Invisible Glass (usually a 1 second spray per driver/passenger sides) and that is plenty to clean the windshield without any streaks (moderate pressure on microfiber cloth helps too). On rare occasion that I end up with a streak - a second application takes care of it.

I am also a fan of Sprayway window cleaner and it's safe on tinted windows. I use the Sprayway inside & out first. Then I wet down a MF towel with isopropol alcohol (not on tint!) and wipe down a smallish area like 1/3 of a windshield. Immediately wipe that same area with a dry MF towel and continue. Do this inside and out for seriously clean glass with no streaks or interior build up. Essentially for windshield & rear glass, windows shouldn't require the "two step".

Sorry my northern friend, but say No to any scotch bright please... You may use ultra fine steel wool if you wish, but even that is not the best way.

I'm surprised at everyone. Home depot razor blades and the cheapest white vinegar you can buy. You can mix the vinegar 50/50 in a spray bottle with water if you wish and use a new fresh razor blade on about a 20/25 degree angle. It will not scratch ANY glass, I promise. I have been doing it for 35 years.

Come back with a dry towel couple minutes after you used the vinegar and water and wipe the haze off when its dry really easy. I've cleaned alot of glass. Don't try and do it with 1 rag or towel, or all right at the same time. Use only 1 towel for finish work or streak removal.

Vinegar and a clay bar works for water spots on the paint also, but NO razor blade on the paint, YOU know what will happen!
No problem, my fine neighbour to the south. I will stick to the Scotch Brite and foam. For anyone worrying about scratching windshield glass, I have not found that possible using the dark green Scotch- Brite as shown in the photo. I guess you can always test your version on “ an inconspicuous corner ”.

091E25C5-D526-46C9-AEB7-C6BD52684CC2.jpeg

I use Invisible Glass with microfiber towels. The trick to no streaks is to remember "less is more". I apply a small amount of Invisible Glass (usually a 1 second spray per driver/passenger sides) and that is plenty to clean the windshield without any streaks (moderate pressure on microfiber cloth helps too). On rare occasion that I end up with a streak - a second application takes care of it.
I heard the trick is to use 1 towel to wipe the cleaner and dirt off and another towel to wipe off what the first towel missed .

No problem, my fine neighbour to the south. I will stick to the Scotch Brite and foam. For anyone worrying about scratching windshield glass, I have not found that possible using the dark green Scotch- Brite as shown in the photo. I guess you can always test your version on “ an inconspicuous corner ”.

View attachment 73018
This was the package. No windshield scratches from this type.

65672DF6-9523-4897-B320-816A7BB9DFBB.jpeg

Back