Use Dish Soap to Clean Inside of Windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like with windshields that are not cleaned frequently, I could almost never get them clean. They always had streaks that became visible when light shinef on the windshield.
It seems like the streaks are a greasy residue (supposedly from all the petroleum based materials in the car off-gasing) so I thought Dawn dish soap would be a good product to try and I'm glad to report it works amazingly well!

1. Get a pretty wet (but not dripping) microfiber towel and put 2 drops of dawn on it. Rub this all over the windshield.
2. Wipe it dry with a clean wet microfiber.
3. Clean it with a clean, dry microfiber and window cleaner spray (I use Meguiar's just because I have it but household Windex probably works just as well).

It takes a bit of time but I love it so much better than trying Windex and Magic Erasers cause those usually required several attempts on dirty windows.

It's common of some window cleaners to streak after one use. Per the instructions on the Invisible Glass can it says to clean 2x.

I just use Sprayway from Home Depot for $3 per can. Just takes one application and doesn't streak. RtexasF from here introduced it to me years ago. Plus he's an excellent detailer.

My wife cleans the inside windshield of our cars and uses the dish soap similar to the way you do(very small amount). However, she skips the glass cleaner step. She says it isn't needed.

Originally Posted By: Themiker
It seems like with windshields that are not cleaned frequently, I could almost never get them clean. They always had streaks that became visible when light shinef on the windshield.
It seems like the streaks are a greasy residue (supposedly from all the petroleum based materials in the car off-gasing) so I thought Dawn dish soap would be a good product to try and I'm glad to report it works amazingly well!

1. Get a pretty wet (but not dripping) microfiber towel and put 2 drops of dawn on it. Rub this all over the windshield.
2. Wipe it dry with a clean wet microfiber.
3. Clean it with a clean, dry microfiber and window cleaner spray (I use Meguiar's just because I have it but household Windex probably works just as well).

It takes a bit of time but I love it so much better than trying Windex and Magic Erasers cause those usually required several attempts on dirty windows.

Thanks, I'll give this a try next time.

Yes, skip the cleaner as the final step. The dish soap will leave a protective layer which helps prevent the crud you see when looking at oncoming lights, which is removed if you use a glass cleaner afterwards.

Age old problem.
Years ago, during a discussion about selling cars privately, I said, "Clean the windows FOR REAL".
I got a flood of concurrence.

Don't care how you cut it, cleaning auto glass is challenging!

Thanks for he EZ tip.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
It's common of some window cleaners to streak after one use. Per the instructions on the Invisible Glass can it says to clean 2x.

I just use Sprayway from Home Depot for $3 per can. Just takes one application and doesn't streak. RtexasF from here introduced it to me years ago. Plus he's an excellent detailer.

I have read great things about this so I am curious if it is available up here? My Invisible glass stash is quite full yet but when it is gone, I'd like to try sprayway, if available?

Anyone ever try/use vinegar and newspaper? I never have but heard many people over the years say it works great as well?
21.gif

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-clean-a-window-with-new-109240

sprayway is legit and has been around for decades since 1947 they say.

Its not just for cars, its more for professional housekeepers and is far less expensive than car specific producrs.
Any place that supplies housekeepers should have sprayway available.

I use it for household mirrors especially bathroom mirrors it takes all the gunk off easily in 1 pass, but also stuck a can in the garage care kit.

A very small downside is it does have some fragrance or odor compared to invisible glass. so you should let it air out.

Last edited:
I have both IG and Sprayway and prefer the former. Both are available at Home Despot; IG is ~$1 more per can, so cost isn't a huge factor.

The best way to avoid interior glass buildup is parking in the shade, and stick to a regimen that won't allow it to accumulate.

Another Sprayway benefit is that it has no ammonia in it. This is important when cleaning mirrors. If you've ever seen a mirror with discolored silvering around its edges, it's because someone used an ammonia-based glass cleaner; e.g., Windex.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
I buy generic glass towels that are the same as CarPro FastGlass, never looking back.

Interesting! I haven't heard of these before. I'll have to try them cause they'd be easier if they work.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My wife cleans the inside windshield of our cars and uses the dish soap similar to the way you do(very small amount). However, she skips the glass cleaner step. She says it isn't needed.

I'll give it a try skipping that step. When the windows are hot some of the water dries before I can wipe it off so that requires the window spray but if the windows not hot, I'll try skipping that step. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted By: Themiker
Originally Posted By: FastEddie
I buy generic glass towels that are the same as CarPro FastGlass, never looking back.

Interesting! I haven't heard of these before. I'll have to try them cause they'd be easier if they work.

Dont know about the carpro towels, but I do know that low-no nap microfiber works best for final wipe.

I use newspaper for initial cleaning (unless its a double clean, in which case I start with a paper towel then go to newsprint), then do a final dry wipe with the no nap MF. Works great.

Doing it around dusk out of sunlight helps a lot too...

Quote:

Thank you for the compliment. Actually I stopped detailing sometime back due to health reasons. Hopefully I can make a recommendation or suggestion now and then that might help someone. I still use Sprayway.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
sprayway is legit and has been around for decades since 1947 they say.

Its not just for cars, its more for professional housekeepers and is far less expensive than car specific producrs.
Any place that supplies housekeepers should have sprayway available.

I use it for household mirrors especially bathroom mirrors it takes all the gunk off easily in 1 pass, but also stuck a can in the garage care kit.

A very small downside is it does have some fragrance or odor compared to invisible glass. so you should let it air out.

I find the odor of Invisible Glass quite strong so I usually leave a door open. If I am not mistaken, it is also ammonia free, which, as far as I know, safe for aftermarket tinted windows?

Originally Posted By: irv
I find the odor of Invisible Glass quite strong so I usually leave a door open. If I am not mistaken, it is also ammonia free, which, as far as I know, safe for aftermarket tinted windows?

+1, same here and have coughed because of inhaling the fumes. Sprayway does have a very mild fragrance but won't make you cough.

Try Home Depot if you have them up there.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back