Clean your guns..

While I usually do not spend time on cleaning my range guns which are pistols. " I got out of rifles in 1998" , a couple day ago I cleaned my Ruger 22/45 .History, I bought the pistol in 2000 and I love it ! I shoot at least 5,000 rounds per year through it running the 550 packs of cheap ammo. My kids still burn through 550 packs like Dad bought them. Last spring I started having problems with it . I put the pistol away and bought a new 22/45 . Over the years I cleaned the pistol by removing the upper and douched it with brake clean blew it out with compressed air then then lubed it. Looking for something to do I took the pistol completely apart I was surprised at the dirt sand and crud packed into everywhere that it could be packed. The magazines as well were packed with crud. I found all the dirt and crud build up to be like dried out grease and hard to scrub out. The wear on the parts was easy to see. I put the pistol back together and safety checked it and felt it was safe I went to the range and WOW the pistol works better than new and I didn't have to buy a new 22/45 but then it is good to own several of your Favorite fire arms anyway. Next will be the total disassembly and cleaning of the XD 40 S@W.

I generally clean after each use. They don't need it (for example, a good pistol will go quite a few rounds before needing cleaning) after each use, but often, I'll put a gun away and it won't get used for a year or more.

I prefer that the gun get put away clean, which means a very slight bit of oil in the barrel and on the metal parts, so that it's not susceptible to corrosion before the next use. Yes, my safes are indoors, and yes, they're kept in silicone gun socks, but I prefer that the guns be stored clean because storage may be for a long time.

I never clean them right afterwards unless they're wet. On the other hand I never let them set too long. Since my range is out in may back yard 250 yards behind the house I tend to go blast a few every couple weeks. Mostly 38 Special. I've gotten tired of chasing cases of late so after toting autos for work for decades I finally returned to the revolver.

At minimum I spray everything that should be down with Ballistol, and then wipe it clean. I don’t brush and use solvent every time.

I can't find it on their site.

It's not on the site. You'd have to call them to order it.

DSC05482-Resized2k.JPG

I just cleaned ours today. Had to loan one to my sister and brother-in-law. I really enjoyed cleaning my dads vintage rifle that his dad bought in the 1950s it is a Remington 512 Sportsmaster. We try to do it before and after each use. Hadn’t cleaned them in so long it was probably good we did. The gun oil and cleaning kit we used was about 15 years old lol. Don’t know how good it was but I guess good.

Last edited:
I never clean them right afterwards unless they're wet. On the other hand I never let them set too long. Since my range is out in may back yard 250 yards behind the house I tend to go blast a few every couple weeks. Mostly 38 Special. I've gotten tired of chasing cases of late so after toting autos for work for decades I finally returned to the revolver.

I'm similar. I run a bore snake through my 12 gauge and oil it since it isn't stainless, but my SS guns are only cleaned periodically. I had my .308 out yesterday and once it was up to room temp I put it back in the safe. I find the first shot always drifts after a cleaning whereas if I put it or my .338LM away dirty they are dead-on first shot.

Took three .22 handguns to the range today: A Ruger Mk III 22/45, a Beretta 21A and a Ruger Wrangler.
Cleaned all three when I got home. Took maybe an hour (I was being fussy). I dunno ... don't per se like cleaning 'em, but all of my firearms run well and look great. Seems a pretty minimal effort for the return.

At a minimum I try to get the bore and any gas fouling wet with lube* before I leave the range. I’m perfectly fine with letting that sit for a few weeks before I get around to actually cleaning.

Stripping and cleaning is also a opportunity to find any broken parts or abnormal wear and fix things before they cause a problem the next time you’re shooting.

With corrosive ammo I clean with Ballistol/water at the range, dry and oil with Ballistol. The next day I check for any rust and redo if needed. I’ll check again a week later for rust that’s happened over time.

*Good, creepy gun oil. I’m using Royco CLP and Royco 308CA gun oil right now.

BSW

I clean for the zen and to PM the weapon. Many friends of mine, some NSW, dont even clean. They just add lube until they burn the barrel out (4-5 weeks for NSW), and then the armorer rebarrels it and it is cleaned. A former 75th guy I know does similar. Never seen their m4s have an issue.

I'm similar. I run a bore snake through my 12 gauge and oil it since it isn't stainless, but my SS guns are only cleaned periodically. I had my .308 out yesterday and once it was up to room temp I put it back in the safe. I find the first shot always drifts after a cleaning whereas if I put it or my .338LM away dirty they are dead-on first shot.
Some are like that. My DDM4 wasn't though. Clean or dirty, it would put the round within 0.5" radius of POA every time at 100. Cold, hot, beginning, or end of range session. Most boring gun ever. Sold it to my Dad stoopid cheap so he'd have a proven hammer.

Took three .22 handguns to the range today: A Ruger Mk III 22/45, a Beretta 21A and a Ruger Wrangler.
Cleaned all three when I got home. Took maybe an hour (I was being fussy). I dunno ... don't per se like cleaning 'em, but all of my firearms run well and look great. Seems a pretty minimal effort for the return.
If you clean them right after you shoot them they clean up a lot easier.

I hate my guns to be dirty. I enjoy my guns for their aesthetics as well as their function so they must be clean. This is not to say they have not seen many hard days out in the field, they are however cleaned as soon as is practicable.

Same for my handloaded ammunition too. I hate dirty cases and tarnished bullets. Maybe i am a little OCD?

I'm OCD as heck but beyond wiping them off with a microfiber cloth after each use, I haven't cleaned my Glock in maybe a year, and I haven't cleaned either my M&P or my APX since I bought them last year. But that doesn't mean I haven't pulled off the slides in order to wiped off and re-oil the barrel and slide rails. But specifically clean them, no.

While I usually do not spend time on cleaning my range guns which are pistols. " I got out of rifles in 1998" , a couple day ago I cleaned my Ruger 22/45 .History, I bought the pistol in 2000 and I love it ! I shoot at least 5,000 rounds per year through it running the 550 packs of cheap ammo. My kids still burn through 550 packs like Dad bought them. Last spring I started having problems with it . I put the pistol away and bought a new 22/45 . Over the years I cleaned the pistol by removing the upper and douched it with brake clean blew it out with compressed air then then lubed it. Looking for something to do I took the pistol completely apart I was surprised at the dirt sand and crud packed into everywhere that it could be packed. The magazines as well were packed with crud. I found all the dirt and crud build up to be like dried out grease and hard to scrub out. The wear on the parts was easy to see. I put the pistol back together and safety checked it and felt it was safe I went to the range and WOW the pistol works better than new and I didn't have to buy a new 22/45 but then it is good to own several of your Favorite fire arms anyway. Next will be the total disassembly and cleaning of the XD 40 S@W.
Question: Are you still firing 5000 rounds per year is ammo with being as scarce as it has been? Where are you buying it? All I see is out-of-stock on every website I checked. Thanks.

Back