Clean Paint pre Sealant

Coming out of the closet........... I still use Zaino. Twice a year I do a complete detail, with VERY few washings in between. I have never had the need to do a whole car paint correction (Machine polish). Less paint touching = less micro-mars.

My routine is: thorough wash and rinse. 15 minute clay using copious amounts of soapy water lubricant, rinse. Repeat wash, rinse, and dry. I use Zaino AIO as a cleaner/prep prior to 2 - 3 back-to-back apps. of Z2 (2 oz. used) with ZFX catalyst . 3 products total, about $65. The AIO and ZFX last 4 years. The 8 oz. Z2 lasts 2 years. Not that expensive at all.

Finally, my question: even after all the washing/clay/wash/rinse, my applicator pad becomes filthy with the AIO application. Why? And a related question - how are these easy spray-on sealants working well if washing does not get the embedded dirt out like my AIO does?

Post AIO pad:
pic does not do justice
Zaino AIO Pad.jpg

Zaino AIO: "
With an emulsifying cleaner and very mild abrasive, Z-AIO gently cleans and protects while effectively enhancing light refraction and reflectivity for remarkable results. .....Z-AIO can either be used by itself, or as an excellent foundation & bonding agent for the full line of advanced Zaino Show Car Products".

Last edited:
My understanding is that a "cleaner wax" or whatever you want to call these waxes with slight abrasives are not removing dirt from the surface. That's done by the wash and some imbedded contaminants by the clay. Anything on your pad would be oxidized paint or something along those lines.

I’d be happy that it’s getting all that extra dirt out of the finish. But quite normal with that product from what I’ve read. I’ll be using Zaino AIO for the first time in a few weeks. I’ve used a similar Duragloss product #101 that’s supposed to be the same. But color and smell is different so not identical. Plus the sizing is different, 8 ounce versus 16 ounce bottle of Zaino. Looking forward to trying it.

Interesting. You may want to use a dedicated paint cleaner/polish first, even if it's by hand, then apply the sealant.

The better you clean the paint and prepare the paint, the more you'll see the maximum benefit of the sealant you use.

Also, what's the expiration date on those products? Check that.

@JoelB - that a hand applied AIO is removing oxidized clear coat vs. dirt and contaminants is something I did not consider. My hypothesis for now is that my wash/clay/wash (with numerous rinses) is not doing it's job? I am perplexed with either of these explanations.

@SatinSilver - indeed I am happy to achieve cleaner paint prior to the Z2 application. I tried the Duragloss products (501 and 105 with catalyst) but didn't like them as much a Zaino (myths exist about Zaino/Duragloss ties). Please follow up with your Z AIO trial.

@buster - The ZFX will gel with age - It "seems" to be o.k. at year 4 if I keep it well sealed, desicant in storage container, and refrigerated. I keep the other products in a temp controlled area away from extremes and they "seem" o.k.. I think I read on Sal's sight not to refrigerate them.

Thanks!

Back