Classic cars: impossible on a limited budget?

My education is bought an paid for. Please understand that these cars are a labor of love and TONS of money to restore. An old car will beat you up; it's part of the game. You will never get your money back.
  • Buy the best car you can!
  • Do you have a garage and tools?
  • Do you have time and $$ ?
  • Do you have patience?
Keeping a car original is expensive and some parts may be very difficult or just no longer available.
Collectors and money have ruined the hobby for people who just love the cars.
If I were gonna do another car, I might look for an early Mustang because they sold so many and parts are available.
Take a year to find the right car! If there is rust, leave. If you don't know what you are looking at, leave.
Or any old pickup... In fact, a pickup would probably be the only vehicle that I would be crazy enough to tackle.
Here are my collectors:
68 side.jpg

fiAKQj6FgivcFNtjQBiqC1glqBSv2CeQTOg9BF6yKkZrVMcvhzHZcwP-rpUS54jRFMwvs0X3JPIKKquOphHoM--w5Ji8CURrXR9_22Tr3rYStTvWmfUv1rEvLwHqjGr11nUfrblTnzZM9PySO1bd706l3Dxj7XWSifDgw6qP8l2DB_i4EETETq3Pp_tCSUzbsXl4JwKXqdo4b_bZSFLHOEbK719kdy3kemvwpwna0gGrWi8RqGq6znCfrOCIvQ1UjJh6_GV3VAeZy_QmbBkWBTqyipeRaHbQV6lcz0fxK-PbOWEtaalOVSQPuxNRwNhAsvABGnO3rRsmBSv0qbYQUhKqv8_cwi5KvPMZdSU6C-m8FoMy25txYS9SUGnmS6B3FVotuH8BXgx6ll7Fg6I0IVo2Py8mgkFHOf3mNQDY0n1TG-zSBSqG4VKU4BMMSY6e4J8JWMUFZq-_Vdm_C0EWvWLuOhGTgUVG3IpumIUMLiE-FxLdZQcggRQmucIsw9uzlsbnIOitEhbff-8QE-lnqHFwMx3k8xCLSTKb24EDt4HOO0VjCZgBTSIvXZYczUu-5OtINO5RfaShwaOyO3AIB9Scv94mDgWBomRWl9Nd8-p1UCzDn9DcjEZHbp0QS19z5soCi10NeKIGFkkJOCi2PNp48G1KheRNZw1vz7WsXV7OrSSiFVzt8xJNhCbenSuE-4vQPvacFDSW9pTlHQCRj6xy=w960-h720-no

xt0fgRrAnuTkslLUH8_ZJA-wy3kcMpyAXrTeMNVX9DTPvxanRWfR-JRSGnepiPt43Z-s_Y04xtIonOeMH6kMR4zWyxkrbjYPCL2YLn3jg13ojagy5Yx45vks5TsiaQAKW79nGanYsyDarvaYcyXp2I1xBwsPMyMZZyp7PmVnqJEwyAxXHhVAqdrRK5PNOF-z4qyFa8O4Mv-SuX3UKKJR8_3YEc1TpahGW7jbFXHlSrdrsguLB9_5_4LSib6oIipmsi1qlmdQ8553MkB8Y80PwIZY86YqHkVsC6rhMzPjpfeZr_xIfI3KQWivBeiF4E1whMKKeH_8d1dXNERtfjxSYfQlVHZU_b6PYxhbSEfA2xM4P1acidLGi6xaA8qHwrmnG5BSR7hCY5DG0kxEZfvGbvuR7qAeWywFKkjnGIui8IkXUuj58PfvSQxArVhBdNXlkiY8bIwvtHWss3s7Ldjil21TJX6AEBoIyPL5UHFBfUaC_Fr6kyKvJB3n3TzcKVGZ-6zRUyhBpcx4jXw-eZ9ESd5aMcmxP6vE3-e0n8yNF_h9GCi9ahv_AaC67YdAU3x4VBW-ritUddVAMnwVRMSepJRJsP3aLIn75o_f8FV0eFLMNh7-uCTgpSQjKENCkSz1CDOQLNwSjA19Flf6ZCbJswH51ksOTc-xtFGSj4KCGcIlkjsXCYwb24h6UhUzjhVgUnW7yFpkxRDnPqfVlJ8LtASN=w960-h720-no

Tip: See if there's a website or other platform to find estate auctions within reasonable driving distance to you. Often, these auctions will have some cars like you desire...and can be had for a steal. The size of the estate and how well it's promoted usually determines how deep the pockets are that show up.

Example: A coworker just went to one of these and there was a 1968 Chevelle that sold for $6K. Granted, it was in pieces...but all the parts were on site...with a running engine. He said he would have bought it, but his wife shot it down. They were there for the antique furniture.

I want this 72' Buick in the link I posted in my post above.

View attachment 76226
My brother still has the first car he ever bought-a 1970 Buick GS 455 convertible, bought in 1983. For SIX HUNDRED freaking dollars!! Of course, it’s been in an enclosed car trailer, apart, for at least the last 25! But, it was a Florida car & pretty much rust free. I think he’s waiting for me to retire, build a garage with a lift, & do the frame off restoration!

My education is bought an paid for. Please understand that these cars are a labor of love and TONS of money to restore. An old car will beat you up; it's part of the game. You will never get your money back.
  • Buy the best car you can!
  • Do you have a garage and tools?
  • Do you have time and $$ ?
  • Do you have patience?
Keeping a car original is expensive and some parts may be very difficult or just no longer available.
Collectors and money have ruined the hobby for people who just love the cars.
If I were gonna do another car, I might look for an early Mustang because they sold so many and parts are available.
Take a year to find the right car! If there is rust, leave. If you don't know what you are looking at, leave.
Or any old pickup... In fact, a pickup would probably be the only vehicle that I would be crazy enough to tackle.
Here are my collectors:
View attachment 76235
fiAKQj6FgivcFNtjQBiqC1glqBSv2CeQTOg9BF6yKkZrVMcvhzHZcwP-rpUS54jRFMwvs0X3JPIKKquOphHoM--w5Ji8CURrXR9_22Tr3rYStTvWmfUv1rEvLwHqjGr11nUfrblTnzZM9PySO1bd706l3Dxj7XWSifDgw6qP8l2DB_i4EETETq3Pp_tCSUzbsXl4JwKXqdo4b_bZSFLHOEbK719kdy3kemvwpwna0gGrWi8RqGq6znCfrOCIvQ1UjJh6_GV3VAeZy_QmbBkWBTqyipeRaHbQV6lcz0fxK-PbOWEtaalOVSQPuxNRwNhAsvABGnO3rRsmBSv0qbYQUhKqv8_cwi5KvPMZdSU6C-m8FoMy25txYS9SUGnmS6B3FVotuH8BXgx6ll7Fg6I0IVo2Py8mgkFHOf3mNQDY0n1TG-zSBSqG4VKU4BMMSY6e4J8JWMUFZq-_Vdm_C0EWvWLuOhGTgUVG3IpumIUMLiE-FxLdZQcggRQmucIsw9uzlsbnIOitEhbff-8QE-lnqHFwMx3k8xCLSTKb24EDt4HOO0VjCZgBTSIvXZYczUu-5OtINO5RfaShwaOyO3AIB9Scv94mDgWBomRWl9Nd8-p1UCzDn9DcjEZHbp0QS19z5soCi10NeKIGFkkJOCi2PNp48G1KheRNZw1vz7WsXV7OrSSiFVzt8xJNhCbenSuE-4vQPvacFDSW9pTlHQCRj6xy=w960-h720-no

xt0fgRrAnuTkslLUH8_ZJA-wy3kcMpyAXrTeMNVX9DTPvxanRWfR-JRSGnepiPt43Z-s_Y04xtIonOeMH6kMR4zWyxkrbjYPCL2YLn3jg13ojagy5Yx45vks5TsiaQAKW79nGanYsyDarvaYcyXp2I1xBwsPMyMZZyp7PmVnqJEwyAxXHhVAqdrRK5PNOF-z4qyFa8O4Mv-SuX3UKKJR8_3YEc1TpahGW7jbFXHlSrdrsguLB9_5_4LSib6oIipmsi1qlmdQ8553MkB8Y80PwIZY86YqHkVsC6rhMzPjpfeZr_xIfI3KQWivBeiF4E1whMKKeH_8d1dXNERtfjxSYfQlVHZU_b6PYxhbSEfA2xM4P1acidLGi6xaA8qHwrmnG5BSR7hCY5DG0kxEZfvGbvuR7qAeWywFKkjnGIui8IkXUuj58PfvSQxArVhBdNXlkiY8bIwvtHWss3s7Ldjil21TJX6AEBoIyPL5UHFBfUaC_Fr6kyKvJB3n3TzcKVGZ-6zRUyhBpcx4jXw-eZ9ESd5aMcmxP6vE3-e0n8yNF_h9GCi9ahv_AaC67YdAU3x4VBW-ritUddVAMnwVRMSepJRJsP3aLIn75o_f8FV0eFLMNh7-uCTgpSQjKENCkSz1CDOQLNwSjA19Flf6ZCbJswH51ksOTc-xtFGSj4KCGcIlkjsXCYwb24h6UhUzjhVgUnW7yFpkxRDnPqfVlJ8LtASN=w960-h720-no
I’m not positive, but I think one of my ex-customers has a 442 EXACTLY like that one (except for color & condition) sitting at his scrapyard in Hamersville, OH (D & S Auto Sales & Salvage)-might be worth a call to see if they have anything you need. Is that a ‘66?

Get a one with as little rust as possible, no water leakage. Then keep it out of the sun rain and snow while its parked, you will have a classic that will last your lifetime.

Ford LTD is a sleeper classic. They can also be had in a convertible, but they might cost. 80s Lincoln’s could be entertaining, due to the size, smooth ride…. But complexity would be an issue.

I had a ‘57 Chevy and helped guys younger than me get their sea legs with a wrench. I found I was under the hood an hour for every 30 minutes of drive time, and also dropped the hobby hard when I had kids. I still help folks, but only a couple, and the reason is, it takes time, and it takes some money.

for that reason, I would start with something simpler and less expensive, and even something smaller where the square inches of rust, paint and refurbishing is simply less. MG? Triumph? 80’s 5 series bmw? Older Volvo? Stick shift rabbit? Chevy Vega? Ratted out ‘70s f150 or Chevy truck? Parts are easy to come by and there’s less complexity.

that way you can kind of get started with something lesser cost and see if it’s something you like?

I DO ENJOY the hobby for the same reasons mentioned. There are days where I simply want to spray paint an air cleaner, inside of a bumper, or battery box. I’d love to paint a car myself some time. Having that extra, which also serves as a practical extra when #1 is out for repairs, is helpful.

edit: any old Jeep!

-m

Last edited:
I’m not positive, but I think one of my ex-customers has a 442 EXACTLY like that one (except for color & condition) sitting at his scrapyard in Hamersville, OH (D & S Auto Sales & Salvage)-might be worth a call to see if they have anything you need. Is that a ‘66?
1965 4-4-2. 97K Survivor. One of the most original cars left.

Some late 1950s cars had optional air conditioning, but to use Chevys as an example, it was an $800 option on a $2,000 car, so few got it. You will find it was uncommon on lower-end cars until well into the 1970s.

Generally, the older the car, the more impractical it is to use. The cars of the 1950s required much more tinkering and maintenance than you're used to. Learn about setting and replacing points to get an idea. Also, oil changes were much more frequent. It was common for an engine to need an overhaul after just 50,000 miles. You'll see.

I agree with the thought of a vintage pickup instead of a car. Broadly speaking, more parts and help are available. But even here you will see prices have become ridiculously high. Look to see how much sellers want for 1973–1979 Ford F-100 pickups in halfway decent shape, for example. Then look to see how much 1966–1977 Broncos sell for.

The real problem isn't collectors per se, but greed and speculation. The irony: most of those vehicles will end up in the hands of owners' adult children with no use or room for another car, so they will be sold cheap. But that process hasn't started yet.

Educate me on classic cars. I have been itching for a classic car. I want to have one machine in my possession that is my toy, unlike my economy cars which I care little for.

I don’t want a fast sports car, or loud muscle car.

I want a stylish car. To me, 70s and older cars have style much beyond modern cars, probably because safety and aerodynamics didn’t take precedence in those years. But the style of the Bel Aire, Star Chief, etc are artistic marvels to me. I love their interiors especially.

Is it possible to own one of these for sub $10k? I don’t need an iconic car like a Bel Aire, but something with style iconic of the decade. All I want is weekend reliability, functioning AC and a reasonably clean interior and paint job.

I am mechanically inclined. I have repaired a carburetor and swapped an engine, but have done no body work.

Does anyone have experience owning a classic car?

View attachment 76221
I see your from detroit. Look for a car from a southern state so rust isnt an issue.

I've got several classics. One of which is a 1966 Cadillac Sedan Deville. Easy to work on, drives great and not expensive at all to maintain. You can get them under 10k in good driveable condition. It's a Cadillac too, back when they were the real deal. Mine even has auto climate control but it doesn't work like today's systems but it works without computers. Look into them as an option.

Back