Classic cars: impossible on a limited budget?

Educate me on classic cars. I have been itching for a classic car. I want to have one machine in my possession that is my toy, unlike my economy cars which I care little for.

I don’t want a fast sports car, or loud muscle car.

I want a stylish car. To me, 70s and older cars have style much beyond modern cars, probably because safety and aerodynamics didn’t take precedence in those years. But the style of the Bel Aire, Star Chief, etc are artistic marvels to me. I love their interiors especially.

Is it possible to own one of these for sub $10k? I don’t need an iconic car like a Bel Aire, but something with style iconic of the decade. All I want is weekend reliability, functioning AC and a reasonably clean interior and paint job.

I am mechanically inclined. I have repaired a carburetor and swapped an engine, but have done no body work.

Does anyone have experience owning a classic car?

1635807065507.jpeg

I know a guy from my hometown that restored an already very good condition '57 Chevy Coupe about 30 years ago. Every time I see it I marvel at how incredibly pristine the car is today. If you saw it, you'd believe it came off the assembly line yesterday. He may think about letting it go for $100k, but I'd bet he'll own it until the day he passes.

All I want is weekend reliability, functioning AC
You do know that only maybe 50% of the cars at the end of the 60's had a/c and probably less than 20% at the beginning? And the chance of an unrestored example having it working is even less. As for your budget, your money will go a lot further if you accept 4-doors.

There are a bunch of aging baby boomers wanting out of their classic cars-but are asking BIG MONEY for them. And they are not selling. So here are the two scenarios-
1) They will pass and the kids will sell them for what ever they can get for them
2) Many "big money" people - George Lucas (he had a Tucker-it went to auction) as an example who are not car people buy them for "investment purposes" and the public will never see them again.

It's too bad really.

Is it possible to own one of these for sub $10k? I don’t need an iconic car like a Bel Aire, but something with style iconic of the decade. All I want is weekend reliability, functioning AC and a reasonably clean interior and paint job.

Sub $10K for decent running, driving machine with A/C of that vintage is not likely going to happen. That price range in more in line with a project vehicle. If you did find something in that price range, it will likely be super big or a Rambler.

My dad was into old cars when I was growing up. He was into Pontiac GTO's and LeMans in particular. He had a 49 Mercury with suicide doors.

Certain parts can be hard or impossible to source. You can find many more interior... parts for a Chevelle vs a Javelin.

You don't need AC in an old car. Older cars that lacked AC did one thing better than any new car today, ventilation.

Finding perfect rust free cars can be difficult, but not impossible. People tend to think California.

Scroll through the auctions at bringatrailer.com and you can see what some older cars are going for.

In high school( graduated in 87) the muscle cars were just another car. I paid $600 for my 69 Chevelle. A friend paid $450 for a clean 71 Chevelle with a blown up 307.

Those days are gone.

Even if you found a good deal doogooders will tell the seller that they can get much more for it

The car in your picture is what a 58 or 59 model?

I agree that a 4 door might be cheaper and its possible you could get into a classic 4 door something in decent driver condition for a little over your budget.

You better be pretty handy though... if you ever have intents on making it nicer though buying a less popular brand might be false economy though. Anything that is particular to a less popular model will be rarer, harder to find and likely priced higher than the equivalent of a more popular model.

A friend once told me, if you're going to restore an old car, start with one that will be worth something when you are finished, because its going to cost at least the same to restore...

Don't buy anything past 74, that was the beginning of the SMOG MONSTER! :mad:
That '74 Caddy above: The 472ci V8 is equipped with a single carburetor and was factory rated at 205 horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque.

That's a huge car to move with only 205 HP.

The car in your picture is what a 58 or 59 model?

I agree that a 4 door might be cheaper and its possible you could get into a classic 4 door something in decent driver condition for a little over your budget.

You better be pretty handy though... if you ever have intents on making it nicer though buying a less popular brand might be false economy though. Anything that is particular to a less popular model will be rarer, harder to find and likely priced higher than the equivalent of a more popular model.

A friend once told me, if you're going to restore an old car, start with one that will be worth something when you are finished, because its going to cost at least the same to restore...
Its a 1957 Pontiac

We agree..
You are 100% correct if performing a restoration. The OP is looking for a driver quality car, not a project. That is why I advised that a less popular model would be much more affordable.

That 1957 Pontiac will be significantly cheaper than a comparable 1957 Chevrolet. Add in a couple more doors and it will be cheaper still.

Last edited:
would a less popular model be harder to find parts for? A Pontiac 4 door would be fine. Even something odd, like an AMC.

AC in cars in the 60s and earlier was not very common. In my community it was outright rare. And if an AC system stopped working many owners simply removed it.

My first car, a 1960 Dodge, had an after market so-called AC system. It consisted of fans blowing air over water-soaked pads. Did it work? Well the fans worked quite well but they didn't cool the car to any noticeable degree.

Hard-tops look best with all the windows down. And convertibles look best with the top down. A good functioning AC isn't going to do much with either of those anyway. And have you noticed the vent windows next to the windshield in cars in that era. Keeping cool in that era was all about good ventilation.

I don’t want a fast sports car, or loud muscle car.

I want a stylish car. .................a classic car...

I hear you OP, I feel the same as you.

A stylish car to cruise around in, I have a soft spot for a 1982 WB Holden Statesman Caprice, it came from GM-Holden standard with factory air-con, auto, 4-wheel disc brakes, and 308-cubic-inch (5.0 L) V8 engine.

AA448B90-8402-4185-B293-BCFC1E0E0C2A.jpeg
79B40FEC-7F0B-48A5-B921-D6FFE8A863CE.jpeg

Back