Classic cars: impossible on a limited budget?

Yeah. Do not be discouraged if it takes a little while to find what you want / like. Actually it is eye opening once you get down to it and get to searching the web and places just to see how many cars are available in your scope. Its a good thing to take a while because from my experience. I searched for 2 years for the last one. You will see so much and that is a good thing. Lots o luck to you and enjoy as I am certain you will find what you seek.

https://countryclassiccars.com/ - this is just one of many who always have good classic for decent prices. of course they all have some that are priced out of this world too.
We stopped at this place back in August coming back from vacation. They have a lot of nice stuff but most of it is pretty pricy. I don't know if their prices are firm or not. They had a few things that I wouldn't mind owning.

I've got less than $4k into my 1966 Chevy Biscayne.

Depending on who you ask, I've "butchered" it, but they sold more than a million Biscaynes, Bel-Airs, Impalas, and Caprices in that year. It was about the most popular car!

It was moldy inside when I got it so I stripped the headliner and carpet. Took the front seat, chopped the frame, and put some modern Tahoe seats in. "Reupholstered" the rear seat by stripping it to the springs, putting 2" foam from walmart on, duck cloth, and zip ties for hog rings.

Under the hood sits a chinese HEI distributor (worthwhile over points) and 2-pot master cylinder to make it not completely unsafe. It has period-incorrect 15" Camaro aluminum rims with 205-65r15 radials. The rims themselves are 30+ years old, so now... I feel old.

This thing has the regular crank windows, vent windows with their own cute little cranks, and cowl ventilation!

The body and frame are solid as anything. It got repainted but "something happened" and parts of the paint got ruined.

It has the base 6-cylinder and 2-speed Powerglide tranny, but isn't that bad to drive. It'll do 70 plus on the highway. The worst thing is it has no sway bars, so it rocks back and forth on two axis-- hard to describe.

If I were vain I could get it repainted and it would look amazing, until you saw my rat rod interior.

I take it out for ice cream, I don't care if the kids spill stuff in it. I leave it unlocked, park it where I feel like it. It turns heads! I'd hate to have a nicer car I had to worry about.

" The worst thing is it has no sway bars, so it rocks back and forth on two axis-- hard to describe. "
YES. We used to joke and call those big cars "land Yachts" with that loose steering and swaying and leaning into the curves.
The suspension differences in todays autos is one of my favorite things about them. Front wheel drive means you are not all the time looking for another front end alignment. But you do need to rotate tires more often these days.
Also many have that close ratio steering that makes you feel everything instantly. I like that. I loved my hobby years with all of my classic cars etc... but the cars of today are so far advanced. Its amazing to me the fantastic mpg a person can get with one of the larger Japanese sedans. Even doing 80 mph on highways.

Educate me on classic cars. I have been itching for a classic car. I want to have one machine in my possession that is my toy, unlike my economy cars which I care little for.

I don’t want a fast sports car, or loud muscle car.

I want a stylish car. To me, 70s and older cars have style much beyond modern cars, probably because safety and aerodynamics didn’t take precedence in those years. But the style of the Bel Aire, Star Chief, etc are artistic marvels to me. I love their interiors especially.

Is it possible to own one of these for sub $10k? I don’t need an iconic car like a Bel Aire, but something with style iconic of the decade. All I want is weekend reliability, functioning AC and a reasonably clean interior and paint job.

I am mechanically inclined. I have repaired a carburetor and swapped an engine, but have done no body work.

Does anyone have experience owning a classic car?

View attachment 76221
Depending on budget, there are many classics you could own and enjoy.

Here is an example driven daily, by a teenager.

If you get away from the coupes and convertibles, the price comes way down.

We stopped at this place back in August coming back from vacation. They have a lot of nice stuff but most of it is pretty pricy. I don't know if their prices are firm or not. They had a few things that I wouldn't mind owning.
Here are some more to pique your interests:
****can you tell I have a disease? Sold my last one 2 years back YET can't stop searching!****
(hope some of these bring you enjoyment even if you don't buy one)
Lots O luck finding the right one for you.

I’ve seen a few 70s Bentley/Rolls Royce go for under 10k at barrett jackson earlier this year.

I think 15k range is possible to find a running, driving classic car. I seen a older t bird for low teens this past summer. 10k and under is hard. You can barley get a working corvette C4 for that money.

I'm by no means aiming for a Corvette. Anything that attracts a lot of market attention is a no-go zone for me. I just want style, parts availability, and affordability. Oh, and it's gotta be a neat color. Rocket Red, Midnight Blue, Ocean Turquoise, some oddly named vibrant color like that. I love old school car colors.

Anything that attracts a lot of market attention is a no-go zone for me. I just want style, parts availability, and affordability. I love old school car colors.
You know that was always my attitude. I did not want what EVERYONE was driving like a status symbol. Not what I enjoy cars for. To me there are far too many Corvettes / Camaros / Mustangs / "Smokey n Bandit" TRANS AMs (I like them all but there are so many out there they feel too familiar? or something.) Love the Fire Bird Formulas, just about any Mopar, Ford & Pontiac muscle. I guess that is a reason I loved anything AMC produced in the late 70s like the AMXs / Javelin / The Rebel Machine.... SCrambler drag cars...
A hot one (far too expensive) that would be a kick to own or even drive these days to me would be one I hated when new but learned to love
is the Pontiac D.K.M. Macho TAs. Check out (https://www.drivingline.com/article...from-dkm-was-the-fastest-late-70s-muscle-car/) This is an awesome story for muscle car lovers to read when time permits. Awesome tale of a family (2 brothers especially) who took advantage of Daddy's profession and his resources to build and sell a dream car they made successful for a while. They even came with working ram air , re-jetted carbs , headers with NO MUFFLERS or cat converters (I think) and just resonators plus the lift off hoods during the unfortunate "smog era" the government & big insurance forced upon us late 70s early 80s.

Attachments

• machotanumbertwo.jpg
    machotanumbertwo.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 5
I’d say most are not budget friendly. Either you buy one fully restored and pay a mint for it or you buy a project one and spend a ton getting it restored. It is fun for sure but costly. Still in the end you have something better than what is made today though so that is a plus. Just do all the mechanical work first. I know a few who have done the body work first and then had it damaged or the car never ran again so then it was a waste of money.

I’d say most are not budget friendly. Either you buy one fully restored and pay a mint for it or you buy a project one and spend a ton getting it restored. It is fun for sure but costly. Still in the end you have something better than what is made today though so that is a plus. Just do all the mechanical work first. I know a few who have done the body work first and then had it damaged or the car never ran again so then it was a waste of money.
Yes, some people want insane price for restored and some even non restored. Just depends how collectible the model happens to be. Like Mopars the last 25 years are almost untouchable for 90% of working folks. I knew a guy who spent over $40,000 in 1993 to rebuild a Chevelle and today that would likely be $60,000 or maybe much more? I like what lots of guys are doing, what they call RESTOMODs. Taking the old cars and adding today's comfort or improvements like Fuel injection or better suspension and power windows etc.... There are some "survivor" cars that can be found (mostly western USA) where rust is not a car eater due to dry climate. Of course they will be a little rough for the years and use but non modified , maybe garage kept. Man oh man I recall my last one took me years (2-3) to find one I wanted. Its so much easier to find things with internet now a days. Used to be a real hunting expedition before.

the internet is your friend for finding whatever AFTER you learn about it. initial cost is just the beginning + as noted less popular vehicles have LITTLE aftermarket support. as noted a 4 dr or a nice 2 dr sedan can be less costly. parts for GM's are prolly less costly. shop + learn + dont frown on a road trip for a decent deal, good luck!!! until gas costs got crazy i drove older cars daily, 62 belair 4 dr cheap + nice from an eatate, 66 chevelle 300 deluxe 2 dr sedan, 64 olds cutlass 2 dr hard top 22 thou on the clock but actually 122, put 80 more thou on it!! a solid car + being a GM A body lots of parts interchange but the sheetmetal. BEST ever was a local LIKE new 72 olds cutlass, a beautiful 22 thou in a local barn covered + like NEW!! 350 + 2 barrel + 3 spd auto + AIR, could not get to the bank fast enough for the 5 thou i bought it for!!! car was local but owner recently passed, he kept it up with a few upgrades. they are out there. be patient + look EVERYWHERE!!! i still have a fun 2001 audi TT 225Q roadster my fun car i drove a bit today 60 degrees top down + a hat on with windows UP. i do most all my own work at 73 YO + enjoy it, its just a glorified VW golf, parts are out there reasonably + the 1.8T uses similar to MANY 1.8T parts.

Last edited:
BEST ever was a local LIKE new 72 olds cutlass, a beautiful 22 thou in a local barn covered + like NEW!! 350 + 2 barrel + 3 spd auto + AIR, could not get to the bank fast enough for the 5 thou i bought it for!!!
Yep , your best ever was mine too. I have owned lots from the late 70s until I sold my last one 2 years back. Feels so strange not to have at least one classic in my shop. Due to medical + age I don't even have a boat anymore. Anyway around 1982 had a Chevelle Mailbu with 307cui that was a ship anchor (a bomb) that had cancer of the wheel wells and other places. Just around the time I decided it had to go I spotted a 1972 Cutlass 350 2 barrel + 3 spd auto and air - all working for $2500. It was on a used car lot. Back in those days people were trying to dump those so fast due to gas prices etc. I traded (gave away) that Malibu so fast to get my hands on that Gold beauty Cutlass. It makes me ill to this day to recall that I sold it around 1990 cause I wanted a four wheel drive Ford Bronco for pulling boats and deer hunting. Did yours happen to have those ****ed aggravating "seat belt" alarms? Those things drove the wife insane cause back then no one wanted to put on seat belts. I finally had to disable them after she complained every time she got in that car. Even thought they are not a 442 Olds they still bring a pretty penny today for sale when you can find one.

Here is my classic that I've had for over 34 years. 1970 Monte Carlo with a 396/TH400 in it. This car was originally a 400 small block/TH350 car. I had the body re-done back in the early 90's and it needs it done again. The interior is currently a mismatched black vinyl seats and dash pad with the original blue door panels, dash and other trim parts. I need to have the original blue cloth seats re-done.
0bE3sP4l.jpg

rFp7OE0l.jpg

Here is my classic that I've had for over 34 years. 1970 Monte Carlo with a 396/TH400 in it. This car was originally a 400 small block/TH350 car. I had the body re-done back in the early 90's and it needs it done again. The interior is currently a mismatched black vinyl seats and dash pad with the original blue door panels, dash and other trim parts. I need to have the original blue cloth seats re-done.
0bE3sP4l.jpg

rFp7OE0l.jpg
That is my #1 favorite Monte Carlo, SWEET. Does it have that air adjustable suspension? I don't see an air tank. I have seen a few nice ones with the SS 454s. They made your model for too short a period. My #2 favorite model was our white 1986 305 cui 4 bbl Monte SS. Gave up after it was stolen once. Got it back with only a broken collar on steering column. (dumb kids got caught fast). Then stole a 2nd time and taken to a chop shop cause when it was found about the only thing they did not steal was the paint! LOL. I can laugh now but my hobby has caused some grief and trouble. Also had my brand new 300mi 1976 Chevelle Type S3 stolen from the dealership when it was in to repair paint chips it was delivered to me with. That one too was found stripped in a junk yard! Ugh. Funny thing... all the thieve were caught in time. They probably did not do ANY time though. JUDGES! Ours looked similar to this one below:

Attachments

• 1986-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss.jpg
    1986-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 6
That is my #1 favorite Monte Carlo, SWEET. Does it have that air adjustable suspension? I don't see an air tank. I have seen a few nice ones with the SS 454s. They made your model for too short a period. My #2 favorite model was our white 1986 305 cui 4 bbl Monte SS. Gave up after it was stolen once. Got it back with only a broken collar on steering column. (dumb kids got caught fast). Then stole a 2nd time and taken to a chop shop cause when it was found about the only thing they did not steal was the paint! LOL. I can laugh now but my hobby has caused some grief and trouble. Also had my brand new 300mi 1976 Chevelle Type S3 stolen from the dealership when it was in to repair paint chips it was delivered to me with. That one too was found stripped in a junk yard! Ugh. Funny thing... all the thieve were caught in time. They probably did not do ANY time though. JUDGES! Ours looked similar to this one below:
No, mine does not have the air suspension. All of the 1970 and 71 Monte Carlo SS's had the air suspension and all of them had 454's. One of those is my dream Monte Carlo. I've had the opportunity to buy several fairly local but I never had the money at the time.

I also had a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr. edition Monte Carlo with the supercharged 3800 that was a nice car. I traded it in on my 2014 Mustang GT.

I like your 86 MC SS. One of my classmates in high school had an 85 SS that his parents bought him our senior year.

Here is the 2004 MC SS I had.
Czz7Atyl.jpg

0SsFirsl.jpg

uJMpOBSl.jpg

No, mine does not have the air suspension. All of the 1970 and 71 Monte Carlo SS's had the air suspension and all of them had 454's. One of those is my dream Monte Carlo. I've had the opportunity to buy several fairly local but I never had the money at the time.

I also had a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr. edition Monte Carlo with the supercharged 3800 that was a nice car. I traded it in on my 2014 Mustang GT.

I like your 86 MC SS. One of my classmates in high school had an 85 SS that his parents bought him our senior year.
You know there is an amazing amount of low mile Monte Carlos constantly FOR SALE all over the internet the past several years. I sold my last Chevelle in 2019 and been sorry since. I may end up buying a low mile well kept 86 thru 1998 Monte and use it for a daily driver since I do not go far from home these days.

Back