Classic Cars - How Often Do You Drive It

I'm surprised at the number of folks not putting miles on their cars. I'm not judging, but I am curious why?
The clowns on the road in the evenings.
Most will see you have something nice and instead of giving a "thumbs-up" will do silly things that could cause an accident or at least be bothersome.
As a result, I've finally come to realize why most collector cars I see are early on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Also car events such as "cars and coffee" are usually early on the weekend as well.

Most weekends I've been too busy working on improving my cardio or other "honey-do" list items
:(

I try to drive my '69 Camaro every weekend unless it is raining or if I'm out of town. I also attend local car shows and club events. I'm averaging 4-5K miles a year.

It is decades away but someday I'll have to hand the keys over to my kids because I can't drive anymore. We will all get there eventually. I don't want to hear myself saying "I wish I would have drove that car more."

The clowns on the road in the evenings.
Most will see you have something nice and instead of giving a "thumbs-up" will do silly things that could cause an accident or at least be bothersome.
It's definitely a risk. I live in Houston, among the worst drivers in the country. It's Mad Max on the roads. But I drive defensively and never really have a problem. I do get people getting close to look. Often they just want me to wave to them before they move off. I find that behavior odd, but not the end of the world. I definitely get it, though. In the end, I have everything insured above replacement value, so... as long as I come out okay...

It is true, though. Early Saturday and Sunday are the best times to get out.

I've got an 89 Chev Suburban which is an uncommon vehicle here in Australia. Gets driven when ever we need a second vehicle. Its also on a concessional registration thanks to its age, which is 75% cheaper per year but limits its use to 90 days per year

I'm surprised at the number of folks not putting miles on their cars. I'm not judging, but I am curious why?
Are you talkin' to me? You must be talkin' to me since I have five over 49 years old.

It isn't easy because M,T,Th, and F are out automatically because of my work commute. Wed. is off so I could drive one between 10:30- 1:00 when things are quite on the highway as I don't drive city streets other than to access the highway. Sat. out because of my volunteer restoration work work on the aircraft carrier. The Posey Tube out of Alameda between 5-6 PM can be bumper to bumper many times. That leaves Sunday where I can drive a car basically north or north east which is away from the center of the Bay Area. Less cars that way. The Polara has been out several times for 40 mile drives. The F100 a couple of times after finishing the dual master installation. The Mustang once this year. The Cougar once twice this year. Both are buried behind other cars in the driveway which means lots of movement. The Parklane has sat since May when a big crack developed in the driver's side exhaust manifold. May have to remove the head to safely get the bolts out or have it out in case they snap.

Sometimes, on my Wed day off I need to pick up my son from school and sometimes use either the Parklane or Polara even though slow stop and go for six miles home. Well that ended after what happened to my Le Sabre below, on June 1st, when a brand new Tesla with a distracted driver who wasn't even looking as traffic came to a halt and at the last second looked up. I saw the whole thing unfold in the rear view mirror but was powerless to do anything. That ended using any older car and made me call Hagerty to double and some cases triple my coverage for those five cars.

Buick_rear_01.jpg

I try to drive my '69 Camaro every weekend unless it is raining or if I'm out of town. I also attend local car shows and club events. I'm averaging 4-5K miles a year.

It is decades away but someday I'll have to hand the keys over to my kids because I can't drive anymore. We will all get there eventually. I don't want to hear myself saying "I wish I would have drove that car more."
I do 6000km a year.

How often do you drive your Classic or Antique Cars ?
When I'm not working (with my 05 Silverado work truck) I drive my 84 Cutlass. To the grocery store in the evening, weekend errands, long trips, all in this car, at least until it snows in November or December usually. Then it's parked until April.
It just turned 390,000kms this weekend. It had 200,000kms when I got it around 2003.

The reason here is the 77 has no A/C, is noisy and guzzles gas all the reason we do drive it. Also the idiots that are willing to jam themselves into the safe space we leave gets old quick. Now that the cam is gone it will not be driven until re-powered.

The reason here is the 77 has no A/C, is noisy and guzzles gas all the reason we do drive it. Also the idiots that are willing to jam themselves into the safe space we leave gets old quick. Now that the cam is gone it will not be driven until re-powered.
I'm in Houston and don't use the AC in my 308... you have no excuse in NH :)

Now, lack of a cam is a good excuse...

Back