Civic experts needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who has a 1998 Civic, also a woman who has been taken advantage of at different shops. I realize a 98 might be different from an 01 but for what it's worth, my friend had a similar problem. It didn't happen all the time or really very often but every now and then the temp gauge would rise a little when sitting stopped in trafic or a drive-thru window. The coolant level never seemed to go down, it never overheated or anything, just would run a little warmer like that every so often. She had a good independent shop change the water pump and timing belt, she paid about $1,000.00 for that. The car still had the same problem, every so often it would run warm on the gauge. Then one day she called me and said the car ran hot when stopped at a red light and there was steam coming out from under the hood. I went down and checked it out and found one of the heater hoses had a crack in it. It was a rainy humid summer day in Tampa which made it easy to see where the crack was and see where the steam came from. It was cracked down where the hose attaches to the heater core inlet by the firewall. She bought a new heater hose from the Honda dealer, I put it on and topped off the coolant and the car never had the problem again. Maybe there is a bad hose or a hose with a small crack in it on yuor gf's car. It might be worth a look before spending any more money at the dealer or independent shop.

I don't have a honda but I try to avoid taking my car in for service as much as I can. I try to run it until it doesn't go anymore.

Oh and that thing with the overheating is normal I think. This happens on alot of cars as they age. I know my car starts getting hotter if I am at a red light for a while or if im stuck in traffic but all I do is turn the heat on full blast and that is usually enough to keep the engine cool.

So has the t-stat been replaced? I just did one on my sister's 05 civic along with the t-stat gasket, both rad hoses, water pump, and t-belt. Now the car runs about one line cooler than before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mike7139

Oh and that thing with the overheating is normal I think. This happens on alot of cars as they age.

So, don't come along assuming that just because a vehicle gets old and it will naturally overheats. This is a sign of negligence in proper maintenance. I have vehicles (under my maintenance scheme) that are over 20 yrs old and still runs properly, no overheating, etc.

Originally Posted By: urchin
@kickbuttranger:

but better yet there are so many good Honda forums all you need to do is google those forum sites

None as good as BITOG!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
So the car was overheating before you took it to the independent shop?

Yup. Never has really overheatd, just ran a bit hotter than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back