Chrysler MS-11106 vs MB-229.51 the same spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chrisri
How can one oil meet both C2 and C3 requirements when we know difference in HTHS between them.

What I'm missing here?

C2 min is 2.9
C3 min is 3.5
Notice how there is no max.

M1 ESP 5w30 meets both btw.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Because the HTHS requirements are minima. C2 requires 2.9 cP minimum whereas C3 requires 3.5 cP minimum. If you have an oil of, say, 2.8 cP then it meets both requirements.

LOL! What kind of alternative math are they teaching you over there in the UK?
grin2.gif

So-
MS-11106 and MB 229.51 are not the same spec as has been purported to be true.

Thanks

You'll not find me anywhere near Dodge Country!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: weasley
Because the HTHS requirements are minima. C2 requires 2.9 cP minimum whereas C3 requires 3.5 cP minimum. If you have an oil of, say, 2.8 cP then it meets both requirements.

LOL! What kind of alternative math are they teaching you over there in the UK?
grin2.gif

To use an American phrase that has embedded itself in the British vernacular..... D'OH!!

Of course I meant that if an oil has a HTHS of 3.6 cP, it meets both. I was multi-tasking as I typed before and got my max and min all discombobulated.

The point is, you can achieve both specs with one oil, if HTHS is your only test. There are some other phys/chem and performance differences between C2 and C3 as well, for example:

C3 has a minimum TBN of 6
C3 has a maximum phosphorus of 900 ppm
C2 has a higher fuel economy limits in the M111 engine test
C3 has tighter limits in the OM646LA engine wear & cleanliness test
C3 has tighter limits in the VW TDi wear and cleanliness test

So, if you can pass all of the tests to the tighter limits with the higher HTHS, restricted phosphorus and minimum TBN then you can get both specs. This isn't a trivial matter - note that you have to achieve the better fuel economy limit of the lower HTHS spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back