Christmas greed or capitalism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched a report where hot toys were snapped up by people and resold for much higher prices again this year. What have we become?

"Hot toys" of the season, are only for those who succumb to marketing. When my son was young we never had to have whatever the current fad was. He learned early not to want things just because others wanted or had them.

That way it does not matter. Never had to worry about getting something so in demand.

Last edited:
Buy low sell high. How is this any different than how many billion dollar corporations operate? Call it greed if you like. I give credit to those who are entrepreneurial. They took a gamble on purchasing large quantities of a product. The risk is the fad dies too quick and they are stuck with product no one wants. Fidget spinners anyone?

Nothing wrong with greed or capitalism. They are often hand in hand.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Nothing wrong with greed or capitalism. They are often hand in hand.

Greed: intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.

?

100% capitalism at work.

Some folks who are hard at work busy making money do not have the time to pay attention to trends as they emerge in November and December nor to hunt down the desired gift. They pay for the privledge of waiting for the trends to fully emerge.

OTOH, not all of these middlemen make out and some actually lose money. That too is capitalism at work. I recall one Christmas outside Macy's in New York City with a bunch of these middlemen selling one of the toys that was hot and in short supply two weeks earlier, but were no longer hot and easily available for less inside the stores. I did not feel sorry for them as there is risk when one seeks out a reward in capitalism and not all ventures turn out as hoped.

I see this as wrong just like when people snap up lots of concert tickets and sell them for much higher prices. It often locks out the little guy or less fortunate.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
He learned early not to want things just because others wanted or had them.

Let’s be honest. Kids want things, but many kids realize that their parents will never buy them the more expensive games/toys that they see their friends playing with. My wife buys my kids everything they want, which [censored] me off because spoiled kids grow up rotten while less spoiled kids grow up more well rounded, in my opinion.

The person that sells those toys is taking noney from someone willing to pay for it..unlike the person who takes un-needed welfare paid by folks that don't want their money to pay for it.

On pure principle I wouldn't pay the higher price. I would tell my kids I will buy you one after Christmas when the price is reasonable.

I always got everything I wanted, but I never wanted anything, so I never got anything, and that is what I wanted anyway.
I guess I was one of the lucky few.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
But I would like some free Rotella.

BB... You crack me up!

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Just watched a report where hot toys were snapped up by people and resold for much higher prices again this year. What have we become?

It's all just part of making 'Murica great again, ZZ, just like they said on Fox & Friends . . .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: BalticBob
But I would like some free Rotella.

BB... You crack me up!

BB, when I pass trough a truck-stop next time, I would be thinking of you....
P.S. 2 years ago, when on my way to SC, they had Rotella 5w30 and 5w40 on clearance. Kids luggage win :-(

Originally Posted By: spasm3
"Hot toys" of the season, are only for those who succumb to marketing. When my son was young we never had to have whatever the current fad was. He learned early not to want things just because others wanted or had them.

That way it does not matter. Never had to worry about getting something so in demand.

Ahhh... I remember 1996 with "Tickle me Elmo" being resold at $800-$1000 or more.......

I have never.... nor will I veer... succumb to such idiocy.
If the idiots would just STOP BUYING the toys at the ridiculous prices... the scalpers wouldn't ask such ridiculous prices.

Some things never change.

When I was growing up Cabbage Patch dolls were the craze. I remember reading someone was trampled on in the store and was killed just trying to buy one of these dolls for Christmas. Very sad.

Now a days, you have to not only watch out for crowds, or thieves breaking into your car in the parking lot, but also people selling China knock offs. Though the originals are made in China, I find that ironic.

I see your point OP, and your right. Its madness.

What we have become.

Jeff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back