Christmas greed or capitalism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Toys have nothing to do with Christmas. It’s a side show.

Yes, You are right. If you Celebrate Christmas though, and enjoy gift giving in the Celebration of Jesus then toys indirectly are involved for some.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: spasm3
"Hot toys" of the season, are only for those who succumb to marketing. When my son was young we never had to have whatever the current fad was. He learned early not to want things just because others wanted or had them.

That way it does not matter. Never had to worry about getting something so in demand.

Ahhh... I remember 1996 with "Tickle me Elmo" being resold at $800-$1000 or more.......

I have never.... nor will I veer... succumb to such idiocy.
If the idiots would just STOP BUYING the toys at the ridiculous prices... the scalpers wouldn't ask such ridiculous prices.

just like .22 ammo, keep buying it and keep it in short supply, prices will meet the demand
how has the supply of .22 ammo been lately?
I hoarded so much, I quit buying it!

I'm surprised toy fads still happen at all. There is some much variety these days, and odd are, no two kids in any given classroom watched the same youtube/netflix/prime video the night before.
Do many kids actually watch TV anymore? My two boys like Wild Kratts, but its on PBS and PVR'd so there's no ads for plastic garbage toys anyways.

Fads? Just look at those silly little spinners ~ really hot for a while but cooling off … not much variety ~ just spin and spin ~ and you would have to put diamonds on them to get them to a bragging level price

I agree, Toy fads are stupid and I avoid them.

I'm going out to the shop now to wax my SUV and my fully loaded, 4 door, not-a-scratch-on-it $50K pickup truck.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Fads? Just look at those silly little spinners ~ really hot for a while but cooling off … not much variety ~ just spin and spin ~ and you would have to put diamonds on them to get them to a bragging level price

I had forgotten about those... Yes we have a couple kicking around but they were quite cheap. The one has LED flashing lights with 3 selectable speeds of flashing lights for the 3 light modules, and you can rotate the lights in holder, so the kids and I had fun making up different patterns. For $8, they earned their keep! Did some people pay lots of money for them?

Originally Posted By: khittner
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Just watched a report where hot toys were snapped up by people and resold for much higher prices again this year. What have we become?

It's all just part of making 'Murica great again, ZZ, just like they said on Fox & Friends . . .

Please....explain further the meaning of your post.

Kind of like selling water and fuel at ridiculous prices before a hurricane. America home of the free and often Greedy... Sad.

Kind of like selling water and fuel at ridiculous prices before a hurricane. America home of the free and often Greedy... Sad.

Sometimes greed is good.

By definition greed is never good. It is selfish.

Selfish: (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

Well I did just read where an injury lawyer gave two of his kids multi million dollar birthday parties.... Smh

Last edited:
Well I did just read where an injury lawyer gave two of his kids multi million dollar birthday parties.... Smh

It's his money so it's his choice to spend it as he pleases.

Not everyone can be rich .

True in indeed Johnny Johnson.

ZZ sounds like you like Marxism. Let's just say it doesn't work so well. It's been tried. = Fails.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

ZZ sounds like you like Marxism. Let's just say it doesn't work so well. It's been tried. = Fails.

Not at all. I believe in capitalism that works for all. A society where all do better not just the few at the top. You know, like after WW II and the late 70's when the middle class grew and income and wealth inequality were less.

Like when unions fought for workers, private companies cared about workers like family and we didn't outsource good paying jobs to other countries to exploit their citizens.

Last edited:

Not at all. I believe in capitalism that works for all. A society where all do better not just the few at the top. You know, like after WW II and the late 70's when the middle class grew and income and wealth inequality were less.

It isn't as simple as using catch phrases like "inequality". It's fluid. Many folks will rise up and down the income scale during a lifetime. Very few remain at the top. Capitalism has it's ups and downs....just like real life does. It's done more for more people in the world than any other system....period.
Here is some info on a study done on this 1%, class warfare hogwash. http://fortune.com/2015/03/02/economic-inequality-myth-1-percent-wealth/

Inequality is not a catch phrase it is reality. Studies show it has increased in this country to the point we were back in the late 20's.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

It isn't as simple as using catch phrases like "inequality". It's fluid. Many folks will rise up and down the income scale during a lifetime. Very few remain at the top. Capitalism has it's ups and downs....just like real life does. It's done more for more people in the world than any other system....period.
Here is some info on a study done on this 1%, class warfare hogwash. http://fortune.com/2015/03/02/economic-inequality-myth-1-percent-wealth/

Even the article states :

Just because there is a good deal of changeability in America’s class structure, that doesn’t mean that everyone has the same chances at achieving high levels of income. Compared with many of its wealthy peers, there is much less inter-generational economic mobility in the U.S. If you are born poor in America, you have a much greater chance of staying poor than if you were born into the same class in places like Canada or Denmark.

So, how is it different from the manufacturers and retailers selling them at 10x how much it cost to make them in the first place? If the manufacturers and retailers did their homework the price would be just high enough so that no one will buy low sell high, and there will not be inventory shortage for this to happen.

If it is food and medicine, I can understand the anger, but toys? I'd tell the kids they'll get a rain check and get it 2 months later.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Those Occupy Wall Street people are like nasty filthy roaches....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back