Christmas Dinner?

What are you preparing for Christmas Dinner? I was originally going to fry a turkey, but l'm thinking about frying the ham l won today at my complexes Christmas Lunch.
Along with dirty rice, potato salad, baked sweet potatoes, and a green bean casserole. For munching before dinner, crawfish dip with chips and crackers.

20925.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Always reminds me of requesting to enter maneuvering this time of year! "Christmas dinner" sounds very close to "Request permission to enter" when spoken at the speed of Navy.

I think we're having prime rib, but I won't be cooking. I'm on duty Christmas weekend, so it will be wake up, eat, and go to work.

Our family tradition is Lasagna, sausage, meatballs, garlic bread and salad on Christmas Eve with extended family and then prime rib for Christmas dinner. Beef prices are way up in general, but our local supermarket is offering prime rib roasts for $5.00 per pound. I was surprised to see such a good price with the current inflation. It won't be as good a cut of meat as SevenBizzos will be enjoying, but it still tastes very good. Served with popovers or Yorkshire pudding, potatoes, vegetable and plenty of good red wine. Looking forward to both dinners.

A nice Italian meal - lasagna, large Caesar salad, and garlic bread. I may work roasted Brussels sprouts in there somewhere. Torrone for dessert with a nice big cup of coffee (or Caffe Americano).

Isn't that fully smoked cured and cooked? just needs heating? I don't know about frying that.
But since its cold up North here, Running the oven is a nice way to heat the house.
Supposed to be below Zero all of next week! Brrrrrrr.
My Brother sent me a Ham I Am, peppered bone 1/2 ham in from Texas. But that got here early, taking up too much room in the fridge, likely going to heat it up this weekend.

I think the Wife has planed an island style Pork roast cooked with pepper and fruit. Incredibly Awesome recipe.

In laws always buy a double prime rib from the butcher. Usually like a $250 piece of meat. They start it at 4:00am and we eat at 3:00pm. FIL knows what he's doing, so it's always perfection, and one of my favorite meals of the year.
Boy I'd sure like to know some more details on how he cooks that prime rib for 11 hours. $250 sounds like a full size rib, ours was $130 for half of one around 7lbs.

Boy I'd sure like to know some more details on how he cooks that prime rib for 11 hours. $250 sounds like a full size rib, ours was $130 for half of one around 7lbs.
Me too. I know the last 45 minutes or so it's sitting on the kitchen counter covered in foil. He uses a probe to monitor the temperature. I'm usually talking with family and drinking his wine up, so not paying much attention to the process. I'll ask on Christmas and report back. ;)

I haven't thought about it yet. I know for sure I won't be yearning for Chinese food like BITOG's youngest senior citizen does on Christmas. 😸 🎄

Was going to do a ham from work. But the hams they purchased ended up being one of the ones recalled so they cut us a check instead. They wanted to give everyone gift cards but the stores told them they could not fill that many orders in such short time. So we got a ham that wasn’t recalled at the store and will be making that. We normally do homemade French toast for breakfast then whatever for dinner. Probably going to do dinner at grandmas or aunts.

I was supposed to get a turducken on Thanksgiving but my wife burned me. On Christmas day, we're having it. Then, on the 26th, the older kids are coming and we're doing Christmas with them. That dinner will be all italian... Lasagna and such.

Back